Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just curious

If you were buying 50's and 60's & early 70's midgrade stars, would you prefer raw stuff or psa 4-5-6? Anyone know if the price difference justifies the grading? I am thinking about grading all my midgrade stuff to make it easier to market on ebay. Any opinions? Nothing on ebay right now so save the click. Thanks.
My ebay store IS CLOSED TEMPORARILY

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Depends. If i was a mid grade collector then YES I would prefer them to be graded.

50's and 60's especially

70's would have to be the real hi value cards like Ryan, Brett etc.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I agree with what win pither sez.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    I'd rather buy a graded card than ungraded, all things equal. But, depending on the year and star power of the cards, it may not be cost-effective for you to slab cards you know are limited to mid grades.
    By grading the cards, you eliminate the chance to sell to those who hunt for cards with a chance to grade higher than what they might be paying for raw.
    That loss might be canceled out by increased sales of those who only buy graded.
    The question then would be whether a mid-grade card slabbed sells at enough of a premium above a mid-grade raw star to justify grading costs and time spent on submissions.
    I would think that for all but the top HOFers (mantle, williams, aaron, etc.), it would be tough to come out ahead, though I'd be curious to hear what others with more experience in this area think.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I would only grade the superstars.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Sets,

You might just want to search ebay completed auctions for the specific cards you are hoping to sell (both graded and ungraded) to get an idea of what people are paying.

Based on my experience as a buyer only (and for 1950's cards only): For reasons that I cannot understand, it seems to me that when you're talking about PSA 4/5 quality cards, the graded ones don't necessarily sell for much more than raw ones that would grade similarly. I believe a while back there was a thread about an ebay seller who was buying PSA 5 quality stars, breaking them out of the PSA holders, and selling them raw on ebay (and supposedly making money that way).

If I were you, I would grade them just so you have the peace of mind that goes with people knowing exactly what they are getting. If you do grade them and put them on ebay, keep us posted, I'd be hunting for mid-grade cards from the 1950's.

Good luck,

Tom (detroitfan2)