Home Sports Talk
Options

Hockey is Back!!!

BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
Anyone else catch the Sabres/ Flyers tonight? God, what a game! And what a hit that Campbell put on Umberger! It's official now, I'm putting away the Red and White for these playoffs and pulling for the mighty Sabres to avenge the injustice of 1999. I love the way Buffalo skates (I had no idea how fast Afinogenov was until tonight) and I've always had a soft spot for Drury. If Peca was still wearing the black sweater I'd probably wallpaper my home office with Sabers logos.

For the uninitiated amongst us, take it from me and the other NHL fans here: With the possible exception of the World Series there is NO NORTH AMERICAN SPORTING EVENT that is even half as compelling as the NHL playoffs. You can keep the crappy Super Bowl, and the fraudulent NBA post season with it's 9 day breaks between games. Just give me the Sabres in six in the finals!!!

Comments

• Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    The only thing better than playoff hockey is........image

Just kidding, there's nothing better image
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I watched more than a period of any given hockey game this year - and tuned in very rarely to begin with. But I've been watching a lot of the playoffs so far. It finally feels like NHL hockey is back.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think I watched more than a period of any given hockey game this year - and tuned in very rarely to begin with. But I've been watching a lot of the playoffs so far. It finally feels like NHL hockey is back. >>

That's EXACTLY how I feel, Yawie. Expansion really sucked the soul out of the regular season; or at least it did for me. But the playoffs feel like 'old times', if that makes any sense.
  • Options

<< <i>The only thing better than playoff hockey is........image

Just kidding, there's nothing better image >>

The Bruins have just not been the same since Neely retired. I feel bad for Bruin fans, since it's my opinion that you guys deserve better than the crappy product you've been handed the past 10 years or so. That LaPointe contract was a total killer.
  • Options
    Cup # 25 for the Habs this year, they're back boys!
    Jay
  • Options

<< <i> I feel bad for Bruin fans, since it's my opinion that you guys deserve better than the crappy product you've been handed the past 10 years or so. >>

Boston will get er back someday, all they gotta do is figure out how to, not suck.

I've been cheering for the Seahawks since 89, so I'm no stranger to the let downs. image
  • Options
    Boo,

Loved your post. If you want to love hockey, watch the Buffalo Sabres. They play a fast paced, high skill game. They're the consummate hockey "team." No players in the top 30 in scoring, but I think I read they had 10 players with over 30 points this season. I like them to go deep into the playoffs. And I'm an Ottawa Senators fan.

• Options
    Good analysis Writer11. Ottawa is more talented than Buffalo, but still---I think any Sens fan should grab their rosaries and pray that either the Rangers, Habs or Lightning pull a first round upset.
  • Options
    I'm concerned about Emery in net for the Sens. He's done a great job down the stretch, but the playoffs a lot of pressure to put for a youngster. I'm also concerned that the Lightning are finally coming out of their season-long slumber. I love watching the Sabres play though. That is one fast team.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I wouldnt count on the Rangers pulling off any upset. This coming from a Rangers fan. The Sabres play a great game which deserves to be seen alot more. And with the way they are playing right now the Devils can go as far as Brodeur leads them. No matter what the playoffs are always great.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Don't forget about the Habs led by the NEW Brodeur, HUET, HUET, HUET!!!
    Jay
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the Habs are the winningest professional Team of them all, all pro sports included, in North America that is.
  • Options
    Hey Nightcrawler.
    I'm not positive on this, but I believe the Yankees have 25 or 26 World Series Championships, the Habs have just 24.
    Jay
  • Options
    Oh ya, those evil yankees image , I guess that info of mine was a little outdated, oops.

Check out the names on the roster for that first win, like to have all those cards in mint condition image.

Year Opponent Score Winning Goal Team
    1915-16 Portland (3-2) Goldie Prodgers Georges Vézina, Bert Corbeau, Jack Laviolette, Louis Berlinguette, Goldie Prodgers, Howard McNamara, Didier Pitre, Skene Ronan, Amos Arbour, George «Skinner» Poulin, Jack Fournier.

Newsy Lalonde (Capitaine et entraîneur/Captain and coach)
    George Kennedy (Directeur-gérant/Manager)
    A.Ouimet, S.Newsworthy (Soigneurs/Trainers).