Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bubble Mailers vs. Rigid Photo Mailers

Some of the other threads got me to thinking:

Most sellers use bubble mailers to mail items. I have had some cards damaged with bubble mailers, which are notoriously flimsy and thin -- most aren't really anything more than corrugated plastic wrapping.

I, personally, have been using rigid photo mailers to ship items in as opposed to photo mailers. I always use rigid cardboard (2 pieces) to secure the card.

Do sellers tend to use bubble mailers because they're a little cheaper than photo mailers?

Comments

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    I also use the photo mailers with cardboard on both sides of the PSA holder. They cost me $4+ for 6 of them at Staples, but I feel it is worth it. That combined with the $1.11 postage and I just about break even on my shipping charge of $2. In the long run it is best and with the # of repeat customers that I have it seems that the system is working.
  • Options
    YMMV

I have found that in rigid mailers like the Photo-type, that you can get more damage than from Bubble Mailers.
    Being so rigid, means it gets caught between boxes on underneath something, there is nothing to give and the card can snap destroying the card. If I ship 4 or more cards, I use Priority Mail and the 1096-S video box, or 1096-L for 8+ cards
    With a bubble mailer there is give and take, and the mailer will absorb a lot,
    you still can get damage (I think I have had two damaged out of about 5000 shipments).

Actually I was working with one of the Shipping Supply vendors and he turned me on to the #00 Bubble Mailer, much more rigid and taut than the #000 or #0, a very good compromise. I have been usually most of the #00 since then, they are not much more about a penny.
    I get them for about 13-14c each in 100+ qty.
    http://altusmarket.com/index.php
    They offer free S/H and 200 is $28 delivered UPS.

• Options
    We have great Rigid Stayflat mailers that will not bend collectibles. Give them a try www.Royalmailers.com
  • Options
    Whats a Rigid Photo Mailers? image

Giovanni
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i use bubble maiers,the person shipping just needs to know how topack stuff lol, ive never cracked a slab
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Bubble mailers; mubble smailers.
    I use the # 10 business envelops. 125 per box at Staples.
    I'm a cheap SOB, and could care less. Thx
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    + 1 , you cheap sob lol
  • Options
    I use rigid mailers to ship items like publications, comic books, photos, etc
    never had one problem to date

They are a good choice BUT cost more than bubble mailers

I am just amazed at how seldom i get a order shipped to me in a BOX

Why are bubble mailers preferred over Boxes which are far superior?

is it the price factor?