Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Draped Bust Dimes

NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
Rare coins that are hard to find problem free. Slightly larger than capped bust dimes at 19.9 mm average diameter. Six different draped bust dime reverse dies were also used to strike $2.50 quarter eagle gold reverses. Post pictures of yours!

1805 JR-1 5 berries:
imageimage
Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Comments

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very tough coins....I like that one a lot!!

J
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nysoto that is one of the finest coins I've seen on this forum in a while. Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute to the thread image
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful!
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I have a complete set of Bust Dimes (Drpaed and Capped). Still working on upgrading a few coins. The 1804 is the key to the series. Here are a few of them:

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1805 JR-<I don't know> 4 berries: imageimage

Unfortunately I do not have any texts on early dimes. I am however, on the lookout for a good one if anyone has a recommendation and better yet, wants to sell me one.

This example is my only one to date. It is in my LOC album #1 of 2 for US type coins.

Picked it up in Salt Lake City. A place I refer to as Fort Knox. Monarch Coins.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    an 1807 from the type set

I believe this is one of the reverses also used to strike quarter eagles.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a beautiful example of a very very tough coin. That is one coin I really wish were mine. These boards are taking on a very nice look lately.
    Hey stman- post something. John- keep posting those monsters of yours. I could go on and on.....
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins. I wish I could afford even one in AU58.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the only one I have currently.

imageimage
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lanlord, the reference book "Early United States Dimes 1796-1837" is excellent, co-authored by Davis, Logan, Lovejoy, McCloskey, and Subjack. The 1984 book led to the formation of the JRCS. It is hard to find now, try eBay, Charles Davis, and Orville Grady numismatic literature. Your coin is JR-2, the more common of the two varieties for 1805.

Barry, completing a date set of 1796-1837 bust dimes is an outstanding achievement! The 1800-1803 dates are not far behind 1804 in rarity.

Baley, the 1807 dime reverse was used on 1805 B-1 $2.50, 1806 B-1 and B-2 $2.50, and 1807 B-1 $2.50 before final usage on the dime, clashing at least nine times on the dime marriage. In later states the reverse legend is almost completey lapped away.

Another one from a scarce date, 1803 JR-3:
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

<< <i>Rare coins that are hard to find problem free. Slightly larger than capped bust dimes at 19.9 mm average diameter. Six different draped bust dime reverse dies were also used to strike $2.50 quarter eagle gold reverses. Post pictures of yours!

1805 JR-1 5 berries:
    imageimage >>

Nysoto, do you remember what the grade of this coin is? I'm guessing VF-35 or maybe EF-40.Just curious, I'm trying to learn how to grade these. Or if anyone else wants to give their opinion on the grade , go to it please.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file