Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What's wrong with this Walter Payton auto?

This was just rejected by PSA/DNA?????? It's Proline certified and looks like every other Payton auto that I've seen. Does anyone have a clue why this would have been rejected?

Greg M.

Walter Payton auto
Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    I'm not a payton expert.....but it looks like you got duped, just like all the old brands that went out of business...the crimpers were either made on a secondary market, or the bad guys got their hands on them in the bankruptcy liquidation. I've seen a couple of his legit prolines, and that one "feels" funny. You might want to go online and chek out other proline sigs....because i found an auto in a pack back in the day....and I swear the crimp was on the left hand side, not the right.

How much did that set you back?
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I think Duner might be right. Here's mine, it doesn't look the same.

Here's a fake from ebay, just sold for $70. Obvious fake.

Somebody's going to pay way too much for this one, already near $550! I sure don't like the P in Payton.

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not a payton expert.....but it looks like you got duped, just like all the old brands that went out of business...the crimpers were either made on a secondary market, or the bad guys got their hands on them in the bankruptcy liquidation. I've seen a couple of his legit prolines, and that one "feels" funny. You might want to go online and chek out other proline sigs....because i found an auto in a pack back in the day....and I swear the crimp was on the left hand side, not the right.

How much did that set you back? >>

Duner,

I have over 100 1991 and 1992 Proline cards and the stamp is always on the right. Plus the card isn't numbered - only the auto'd cards weren't numbered. It's legit - I'm 99.9% sure. Anyone else?

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>I think Duner might be right. Here's mine, it doesn't look the same.

Here's a fake from ebay, just sold for $70. Obvious fake.

Somebody's going to pay way too much for this one, already near $550! I sure don't like the P in Payton.

image >>

Jim,

I agree - the proline you show has a number on it - which proves that it's fake. As I said, only the un-numbered cards were stamped. If you look at mine, there is no number. The only difference between the one I have and others I've seen is that mine is neater than most others. Don't forget too - it is nearly 15 years old - much older than the 1997 Legends or later auto'd cards (before he died).

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Here's another 1991 to look at - no number like yours, stamped on the right side like yours.

The "W" on yours is probably what made them reject it, that or the "y" in payton. The y is too high. I wonder if he had somebody help him sign them back in 1991?

• Options
    Greg,

This is my Payton from the auto set. Got this through the mail sometime between '83-'86. Quite a different look but his signature obviously could have changed over the years.

• Options
    Greg, it's just a guess but is it possible that somebody helped him sign? There was a guy who played for the Steelers, I think it was Donnie Shell, and if I remember right his wife signed most of his autos, maybe 97 legends?

I haven't been able to find anything about it but that's my guess.
  • Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    Yeah, it's definitely that W that made them reject yours....I don't think it's the neatness of the sig so much as how bubbly and femine yours is too. But I never realized the autos didn't have the number....so it probably isn't a secondary market dupe, the must think it's ghost signed.

It's kind of a funny world now....it doesn't really matter whether it's real or fake. It only matters whether we can pay someone to say it is real, so that others will then believe us when assert it's authenticity.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    I've never heard of anyone helping him sign. I agree, the W looks different but the looping is the same (which would be hard to duplicate) and the Payton looks good. Once again, the P is hard to duplicate and looks almost identical to other sigs I've seen. As I've said before, it's not that far out from others I've seen - just much neater.

It's driving me crazy!!

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    resubmit?

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    kimo75kimo75 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    I would not put 100% faith in the ProLine "certification" either. Back when this set came out, some of my college friends had a friend from high school who was in the NFL at the time and had to sign I believe 500-1000 of these cards. ProLine sent him the cards and DID NOT witness his signature. You can guess what happened. Yep. His friends helped him to sign the cards. They signed them and he sent them back to Pro Line for their "certification". I would bet he was not the only NFL player who did that.
  • Options
    Greg, you said before that the seller would refund your money. If he'll still give you the $$ back I think take it and look for a different/better one.

• Options

<< <i>Greg, you said before that the seller would refund your money. If he'll still give you the $$ back I think take it and look for a different/better one. >>

I could get the refund w/ the Henry Jordan - not with the Payton. I bought the Payton at a Sun Times show about 2 to 3 years ago. Does anyone else have any examples that look like mine?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    sorry, got them mixed up.

I found 3 more prolines and they all looked like the other one I posted, still looking.