Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Set Registry 100% complete

I finally completed my 1972 TOPPS set tonight by adding the elusive #708 Tim Foli I A card.This was a second attempt as the first time I came up short about ten cards,then had some money problems ,and so started selling off the original set.For me,it was and still is a learning process,as I probably bought too many cards at too high prices.However, it seemed that certain cards always had difficulty showing up,and when they did,some of the bids went out of sight.I wanted to thank everybody who was willing to work trades out,didn't bid over me when I knew you could,or just offered some good advice to help complete the set.I want to especially thank David Moss who accepted a deal for one of his cards that was in his
set registry, and pulled it out so I could finish my set.Then thanks to Steve Pekovich who I met at the Chicago Sun Times Convention,and steered me to an individual who was able to sell two cards,one,the elusive Tim Foli I A card and the #230 Series Celebration card.Thanks to Arnold Vee who traded a few of his cards for a few of my duplicates,hopefully helping both of us to getting closer to the 100% completion goal.Thanks to Frank Bakka,if not for cards,some good advice on how to attack" finishing off of the set."Thanks to Jami and Joe who set great examples on how to be patient and wait for the right opportunity to buy.Thanks to Dale and Stan,and so many others who purchased some of the duplicates which helped provide some cash to buy cards.Thanks to those sellers who offer cards on the auctions which allows us to complete our sets.

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stellar job on The Beast! image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Bill,

A sincere congrats to you for finishing your set....and a very impressive set it is being 4th ALL-TIME set.

Will see you on the finish line one of these days. image

Jami
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Congrats!
    Which set is yours on the registry?

I'm trying to complete the set too...but using NM to NM/MT raw cards for about 75% of the set. Fun set.
  • Options
    Please visit my ebay store for a wide selection of topps psa graded cards!!
  • Options
    Hi Kenny,My set is the Bill Novick collection-72.Good luck at finishing off your set as well.By the way,as many of you know,there are some collectors who have great 72 Topps sets,but just haven't listed them as yet, or,if ever.So I believe that the true number one all-time set is Frank Bakka's,Then,probably Oleander's set.From then on I think there may be some completed sets that rank very high because of some of the cards that they purchase.Any guesses out there???
  • Options
    Bill,

My educated guess is that there are two other completed sets ranking about the same or a little bit above yours.........glibisher and yorklvh...............mmqb is getting close but I do not think he is done yet..................Larry Meyer will eventually pass all but frank bakka but that is a long way away.

Jami

• Options
    Great job on a great set.

PSUINNYC also has a set that is not registered, probably on par with EO'S set.
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options

<< <i>Great job on a great set.

PSUINNYC also has a set that is not registered, probably on par with EO'S set. >>

True.....I forgot about that one.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree congrats are inorder, well done.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Jami,

What about robesm,troutbum,sox and cubbies,psuinnyc,nagurski,jrm5963,windy323,telcovebob,mitchman,jimmy walnutz,chrissportsfan,eruditoz,
    bryricdye,slushfunds,njflsports,vcihak,mm_sisters,mt mineral,yogib48,sportscardman,brg21,wmonkey,smitty,vikingsajb10,ice33_19,ohiotaz,
    rufusraintree,dug212121,deujr61,zgreen333,nocryinginbaseball,andrewk,02114terry,gawk56x,cstephen,fre013golf,hiifii,daj65,fread,pantsmanfish,
    texasco,...to name a few.I think there are more collections out there than I can imagine....Yes,mentioning Lmayer...wow seems like unlimited funding...any relation to the MGM from the movie industry??
  • Options
    Thanks,Bill
  • Options

Bill,

There can only truly be 17 high grade completed sets out there....Why??? ......because there is only 17 Fred Kendell cards graded PSA 8 or better......................12 of those are accounted for in the set registry.

Many of the names you mention are certainly 72 collectors....but I don't think too many actually have completed sets.

.......bottom line is: we will never really know..................I do hope though that all the high grade set collectors out there keep their sets for a long time..............it will make our sets all that more valuable years down the road!!!

Jami

• Options
    What about ungraded sets? There is a fella that you'd see at some of the bigger shows with an incredible run of mint raw sets. When I say mint , I mean they would be stone cold nines and tens. He wouldn't break a set and his pricing was on par for what you'd pay for an already graded set.Dang it can't remember his name, any help?

Billpack,
    Do you intend on upgrading or are you content ?
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I think his name is Scott Bradshaw?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Bill,

Best congrats on completing a really tough set. I know you must have gone through all kinds of phases on the way to getting this complete. Can you provide insight on some of the thought processes and obstacles that you conquered to get to the final card? I am working on my first set registry (1970 Topps - considerably easier than 1972 - I'm guessing) and would really value your insight. Again, congratulations, I can't wait to get the feeling you got when you registered that last card.

Hacker
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think his name is Scott Bradshaw? >>

Bingo. Stellar raw sets. But he's not the only one.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Congrats Bill! I'm glad that I could help you along the way. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I will continue to upgrade this set as time and money and cards are available. I also have some raw sets that need upgrading as well.Also,much depends on sales of duplicates as available money is scarce for me now...
  • Options
    To Hacker:Great question...The first time through I was completely green and didn't follow along before I started bidding.In other words,I would have watched the ebay auctions for a while to find out some of the going prices BEFORE you start bidding.So,I'm sure I bid too high for a lot of cards just because I used the SMR as a guide.For example,a Nolan Ryan PSA 8 has a suggested selling/buying price at $250.00.However,after you follow the auctions for a while,you learn that 1)Nolan Ryan PSA 8's come up for auction pretty often,and2)most buyers usually pay less than $200.00 for the card(some bidders only paid $100.00,or $122.00,etc.).So if you see a #595 Nolan Ryan PSA 8 that you like(looks clean,centered,and from a reputable dealer),you probaly could set a limit of $190.00,and if you don't win the bid,not to worry as another one will come up for sale soon.
    Guys like Jami,Joe,Arny, and a few others are really good at being patient,then getting a good price for their cards.

If,on the other hand,you have a big bankroll,then I noticed that aggressive bidders usually get their card.When this kind of bidder has a reputation for being aggressive,then some others stay away from a card when that bidder places his bid.Sometimes this results in this bidder almost stealing cards for a low price.Also,this kind of bidder usually places their bid at the last possible moment so it is difficult to react to his bid.However,with a big bankroll,when this person wants a card,he just outbids everybody else.So, it got frustrating at times,when the aggressive bidder would get the card by placing this high last minute bid.Sometimes it almost seemed to get personal...that @#$%^&amp; won another card!I can't wait until he places a bid and I'll outbid him...well,that kind of bidder never bids early so its a waste of energy to take it too personal.Just be patient as another card will come along...usually.

Then,I also found it helpful to be aware of a cards population.Even though a card is supposed to be a common one,if it has a low population,then obviously there will be more and usually higher bids.An example might be the #532 Fred Kendall card that Jamie just mentioned.There are only seventeen psa 8 or 9 cards(12 PSA 8's and 5 PSA 9's).So be prepared to spend more than usual if you are going to complete your set.The PSA 9 has sold for more than $200.00,but also has be sold for only $77.80.So you have to work to be aware when certain cards are up for auction,and then bid what you think it is worth to you to have... not always easy.Sometimes you get lucky,sometimes you don't,and sometimes you just pay a lot.

Without writing a book,I will say one more thing.Sometimes it seems that certain cards never seem to come up for auction.I emailed some of the top dogs like Frank Bakka,Dave Read,etc.Some of these guys were very helpful in making suggestions as to what you might do.I think it takes a little creativity and a lot of persistence in order to get those last ten remaining cards.I probably should have used the set registry message board more than I did.I think it helps to communicate with a lot of the other collectors.Most will be helful,but a few won't.As I said, I'm still learning...

Billpack