Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

If anyone is thinking of buying the mislabeled PCGS 1976-P Ty 1 IKE $ in The Heritage Auction,,,, U

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
,,,,,,,,to use in your Registry Set as cheap TY 1 coin,,,,DON'T DO IT unless you want to register it as a Ty 2 coin.

According to the PCGS Certification Database, certification number 08100580 is defined as the following:

COIN INFORMATION
Date, mintmark: 1976
Denomination: $1
Variety: Type 2
Pedigree:
Grade: MS66

PCGS has corrected it in their data base and the coin shows up as a Type 2. I was just checking on it and I discovered this.

GrandAm image

I viewed this coin at Central States before the auction. It has been relabeled. It now has the correct label identifying it as a Ty 2 coin.
GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GA,

That's great news. I wonder if the coin has been sent in for a new slab/cert and Heritage has not got around to a new picture?

Ken
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    I would very much hope it is true!...(I also think Ken might be correct)

I collect Ike errors,...including mechanical (slab labeling) errors.
    I was told that PCGS absolutley would NOT make that correction in the pop reports
    until the old slab label is turned in. For "smaller" Ikes with large pop figures, it isn't
    much of a big deal, but for the super-tough low-pop ones it is.

Brian

I LOVE image PEG-LEG & ERROR IKES! image

• Options

<< <i>I was told that PCGS absolutley would NOT make that correction in the pop reports until the old slab label is turned in >>

Here is a link to The Heritage Auction

Heritage IKE

It shows the slab and cert number. In my original post I ran the number from the slab and it shows up as a Ty 2.

I just doidn't want someone spending big money for the cert and then be dissappointed when it shows up as a Ty 2 coin.

GrandAm image
  • Options
    The last time i saw one like this I reported it to Heritage and they pulled the auction. Hopefully, they sent the coin back to PCGS. I think some one should do the same with this one. Having errors like this floating around does not do anything for the hobby. The best thing that can happen is it gets picked up by some one that collects mechanical errors, but this always leaves open the fact that at some point it may be sold incorrectly to some one.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Yep!, this is the third one I knew which was mis-labled.
    The 1976-P type one PCGS MS66 pop is less than 20 image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    I viewed this coin at Central States before the auction. It has been relabeled. It now has the correct label identifying it as a Ty 2 coin.

GrandAm image