Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

go oilers

Comments

• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    It's only game one but IMO there's nothing in sports like OT playoff hockey.

Go Flyers!
  • Options
    Oooooooooooops . . .
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Damnit! It's my fault, Knuckles. I came upstairs for a minute to grab some cards to pore over while I watched the game, and boom - Detroit scores while I'm gone. I'm quite certain the behavior of home viewers/listeners influences the outcome of sporting events. So blame me for the Evil Empire's victory.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't really consider the Red Wings the evil empire of the NHL. Since the NHL regulated this season, the playing field has leveled considerably. The Red Wings are just darn good this season. Remember what people were saying prior to this season - too old, question marks at goalie, won't be able to play in the new fast-paced NHL...

• Options
    They're not the Evil Empire in the same way the Yankees are the Evil Empire of baseball, but I hate them nonetheless. Everytime I see that "Hockeytown" emblazoned on the ice, I wanna puke.
  • Options
    "Hockeytown, USA" was stolen from Warroad, Minnesota.
  • Options
    Knuckles.... A good game, whew !!!!!
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options

<< <i>Hockeytown, USA" was stolen from Warroad, Minnesota >>

And Robert Zimmerman dated Chester and Mr Dillon!
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>They're not the Evil Empire in the same way the Yankees are the Evil Empire of baseball, but I hate them nonetheless. Everytime I see that "Hockeytown" emblazoned on the ice, I wanna puke. >>

Why do you hate the Wings?
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    Doesn't everybody outside Michigan hate the wings? image
  • Options

<< <i>Doesn't everybody outside Michigan hate the wings? image >>

Do they? This is an eye opener for me-- I had no idea that the Wings were seen as the Yankees of the NHL.

I'd always assumed that the average hockey fan's venom was reserved for teams like the Avs and Coyotes; teams that were once in Canada but had been moved. The possibility that the Wings were Public Enemy #1 never occured to me. Guess you learn something new every day!
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    blah! so close.. that's heart breaking for the oil..
  • Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194

<< <i>"Hockeytown, USA" was stolen from Warroad, Minnesota. >>

I thought it was stolen from Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, which had this slogan in the mid to late 60's.
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    Hey knucks...at least your team is still playing! image

Boo... the Wings are not the evil empire of the NHL. Most hockey fans I know around here love and respect their consistant excellence. How could you hate a team captained by the classiest guy playing?

Evil Empire.... see Montreal Canadiens! image

Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Out here in Sharks country there is no hatred of the Wings. In fact we LOVE playing the Wings as it's usually a very fast, high scoring affair. Add to the fact that the Arena seems to be filled with Red Shirts it makes for a friendly rivalry. Personally I really enjoy their style of play.

If there is any team we have a genuine hatred for it's the Dallas Stars.

Oh yeah, and since Dec 1, 2005 we've become HUGE Bruins fans since that's the ONLY reason we're still playing!

(sorry to rub it in onlypsahockey...)

• Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    It's amazing how a trade made Big Joe play up to his potential. Every year in Boston he would hang around the top 10 in scoring, usually around 8th. Everyone here knew he could be #1 year after year. Too bad he had to don the teal to do it....and Jonathan Cheechoo is reaping the benefits that were once Glenn Murrays.

It was a bad year hear in Beantown. I'd love to see management bring in the likes of Orr, O'Reilly and Bourque to right the ship. It used to mean something to wear the spoked B. Maybe those who understood that can instill it in next years roster.

Too bad O'Connell wasn't canned before he was allowed to clean house.

EDIT: The Thornton trade would have been a little easier to take if we ended up with Patrick Marleau.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471

Not those who USED to live in MI image (NC now)
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭

Not me, I'm in Calgary and LOVE the Wings. I think I might be the only once as eveyone I've seen in the last couple of days has been wearing Flames gear.image
  • Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194
    I think the Wings are probably one of the only dynasty teams (all sports) that are generally loved by the majority. I think outside of Colorado and maybe Chicago, not too many people dispise the Wings like the Cowboys, Yankees or Bulls etc.
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>EDIT: The Thornton trade would have been a little easier to take if we ended up with Patrick Marleau. >>

Yeah, but then neither of us would be playing in the post-season right now...not sure Marleau would hold up against the Boston press.

PS. You have to admit the Sharks are doing their part to help the B's rebuild. Sturm and Stuart are fine hockey players and still loved in SJ - and Boyce (previous trade), who was supposed to be the main part of the Owen Nolan trade with Toronto (basically we ended up trading Nolan, our best player at the time for, Alyn McCauley), looks like he might be a star in the making.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the Wings are probably one of the only dynasty teams (all sports) that are generally loved by the majority. I think outside of Colorado and maybe Chicago, not too many people dispise the Wings like the Cowboys, Yankees or Bulls etc. >>

They're hated in St. Louis, too. I would think in Toronto as well based on proximity and the old Norris Division days, but that's just a guess on my part.
  • Options
    I do not personally think that the Red Wings are generally hated anywhere outside Colorado and Chicago, and that includes Toronto. Detroit and Toronto have had a great history, great games, and I think both cities generally respect each other. The way I go, I pull for my Wings, and the second team is Toronto, shall my glorious Red Wings fall short. I think the new NHL will be better for the game, but I am still disgusted that rivalries were not taken into consideration, the Wings and Maple Leafs did not even face one another. Also, people say the Wings are the Yankees of hockey, and nobody can compare either team. Players sign with the Yankees, because they have money tossed their way to sway their decisions, players sign with the Red Wings, because the club is run with top notch class. Any player in hockey, if given the chance, would be glad to put on the Red Wings sweater. Most on this board will agree with me, except for those in Chicago and Colorado!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Boo... the Wings are not the evil empire of the NHL. Most hockey fans I know around here love and respect their consistant excellence. How could you hate a team captained by the classiest guy playing? >>

Spoken by someone that knows the game! #19 and your #4 only come around every so often!!! (Hated to see the Bruins loose Joe Thornton, by the way) ! I am a big fan of all of the Wings first and the other Original Six teams!!! Dont tell anyone but i am also pulling for the sea of white shirts in Winipeg to get their team back !! Go Wings! I watched every game i could in the 1980's when Knuckles was having more fun than a barrell of Yankees!
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    All I have to say is ....

GO WINGS!!!!!
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Boo... the Wings are not the evil empire of the NHL. Most hockey fans I know around here love and respect their consistant excellence. How could you hate a team captained by the classiest guy playing? >>

Spoken by someone that knows the game! #19 and your #4 only come around every so often!!! (Hated to see the Bruins loose Joe Thornton, by the way) ! I am a big fan of all of the Wings first and the other Original Six teams!!! Dont tell anyone but i am also pulling for the sea of white shirts in Winipeg to get their team back !! Go Wings! I watched every game i could in the 1980's when Knuckles was having more fun than a barrell of Yankees! >>

I couldn't Agree more! They don't get any classier then Stevie Y. I would also love to see Winnipeg get there team back. I watch the NHL network quite often and have noticed some building in the southern states have have the seats empty.image Here in Calgary it's almost impossible to get ducats.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

<< <i> Dont tell anyone but i am also pulling for the sea of white shirts in Winipeg to get their team back >>

WINNIPEG RULES
  • Options
    VIVA THE SEA OF WHITE! Down with the Coyotes. I still get misty when I see a vintage Jets jersey, and fondly recall that night years ago when Khabibulin stoned the Wings in the playoffs. To this day it's the most remarkable goaltending performance I have ever seen.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Yep, there was nothing quite like a game in The Peg on a -40 degree night! Those snow piles in the Polo Park parking lot were taller than some buildings!
  • Options
    I would love to see the Jets in action again.. Panthers should get moved up here or some other hurting team. I loved those Jets jerseys..

I'm going to the Oilers game tonight. My very first playoff game, I can't wait.

GO OILERS. image

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Have fun at the game. Looks like an enthusiastic Oilers fan there.

I'm always amazed at the female following hockey has, much more than baseball or basketball. Football has a significant female following but I've found that girls attendance at football games drops with the temperature.

Go DEVILS!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the Wings are probably one of the only dynasty teams (all sports) that are generally loved by the majority. I think outside of Colorado and maybe Chicago, not too many people dispise the Wings like the Cowboys, Yankees or Bulls etc. >>

I have seen away games where you could here the crowd cheering louder for the Wings. Some may say that the Wings bought there cup in 2001, but not this time around. GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stingray
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Hope you stayed for the whole game. It was a great one!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    image Come on Wings!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Wow. If Calgary wins tonight there's gonna be a war in Alberta.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow. If Calgary wins tonight there's gonna be a war in Alberta. >>

I'll go on record to say that the Flames will just destroy this Oilers team. I don't see that series even being close. If I'm wrong I'll step up like a man and admit it.

That's what makes this loss so disappointing. In previous 1st and 2nd round collapses I genuinely felt like the Wings got beaten by a team that was playing better. But in this series I feel like they simply got outworked. They didn't run into a hot goalie (like Giguere or Kiprusoff) or anything, they just refused to show up.

• Options
    The Flames have a real tough time scoring even strength goals let along on a hot goalie like Roloson.. If the Oilers can stay out of the box the Flames shouldn't be too tough.

It's crazy here right now.. one big party.
  • Options
    If you cannot beat them, join them, I am a Wing fan til my death, but I hope the Oilers take it. And I do not show any disdain to my Red Wings, you cannot win them all, often times, the best team loses. 3 cups in 10 years, still better than the Red Sox, White Sox, and the Cubs!!!!
  • Options
    Flames lost. Maybe there won't be a battle of Alberta. I hope there will be, I'll be taking a trip to Calgary for a game. image
  • Options

<< <i>The Flames have a real tough time scoring even strength goals let along on a hot goalie like Roloson.. If the Oilers can stay out of the box the Flames shouldn't be too tough.

It's crazy here right now.. one big party. >>

I have to respectfully disagree. The Flames skate faster and hit harder than the Oilers, and they're better in the corners. This Anaheim series has just been a total war; probably the best so far in the post season (with the possible exception of Buff/ Phi). I don't see how the Oilers ever emerge from the neutral zone against the Flames, and I sure as hell don't see how they generate enough of a forecheck to get quality scoring chances. All those 5 hole goals that Edmonton put on Detroit? Don't count on those in the next round.

They're only hope is that Ryan Smyth gets enough lucky breaks in front of the net, but Bantam level moves like that wrap around won't get it against Kiprusoff (although it sure got it done against Legace, lol). And that brings up another point, which is that Smyth has in my mind just looked terrible so far. What's the big deal with this guy? He's sloppy with the puck, and looks like a poor man's Luc Robitaille in front of the net. That gig gets it done against a team like the Wings who steadfastly refuse to lay down and block a shot, since Pronger can boom 'em in from the point and the rest of the scrubs can pick up the rebounds. But again, you won't see that many shots getting through against Calgary.

Anyway, time will tell. This is all academic if Anaheim wins game 7, but even then I think the Oilers will have a real problem against the Ducks. No offense to Oiler fans-- you guys definitely deserve this one, there was nothing lucky at all about this series win-- but your team just isn't very good. Or at least I don't think they are. The Wings are soft and have no heart, but if they make even a token effort in this series I think the Oilers would be playing golf by now. Edmonton was fortunate to catch a team that simply didn't care about winning the Cup, and that translated into a well deserved series win. But that train will come to a stop in the next round.
  • Options
    I sure didn't expect the Flames-Ducks series to go 7. The Flames are all heart but tough 1st round series that go 6 or 7 games can take a lot out of any team. For that reason alone you have to consider the Sens or Devils early favorites.
  • Options

<< <i>I sure didn't expect the Flames-Ducks series to go 7. The Flames are all heart but tough 1st round series that go 6 or 7 games can take a lot out of any team. For that reason alone you have to consider the Sens or Devils early favorites. >>

NJ will be a tough out as always, and I still really like Buffalo, although there is of course still the Flyers to deal with. And who knows how Ryan Miller will hold up. But Ottawa? I'll believe that when I see it.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I totally disagree with you Boopotts guy, especially when it comes to Ryan Smyth, he's awsome. If Edmonton faces Calgary, we will see some of the best hockey of all time, and Calgary will fall because the magic is in Edmonton. 85% of Edmontonians agree that Calgary sucks, the other 15% are from Calgary image

• Options

<< <i>I totally disagree with you Boopotts guy, especially when it comes to Ryan Smyth, he's awsome. If Edmonton faces Calgary, we will see some of the best hockey of all time, and Calgary will fall because the magic is in Edmonton. 85% of Edmontonians agree that Calgary sucks, the other 15% are from Calgary image >>

Fair enough. I just don't see it with this guy.

Should be an interesting series if it comes to fruition.
  • Options
    No Calgary vs Edmonton... too bad, it would have been nice to watch the Oilers slaughter them.

One more pic to rub in the defeat of the Wings.

• Options
    I know who is to blame for the failure of the Red Wings this year!!!

IT IS BARRY MELROSE!!

Seems as if any year the Wings have won the cup, he said they would not!!! This year, he said they would go to the finals, and he has said the Wings will go to the finals a few times in the past few years!!! Things are adding up more and more!!!!!!!!

Can we call this the CURSE of the Red Wings!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Writer11Writer11 Posts: 738
    I'm with Boopots on this. I'm a diehard Sens fan, but I really worry about Buffalo. Buffalo seems like a team of destiny this year. It should be a fabulous series to watch if you like run and gun, high-scoring hockey though. It's difficult to hate the Sabres, although I will always cheer for my Sens.
  • Options

<< <i>One more pic to rub in the defeat of the Wings. >>

Thank you Garrett. imageimage
  • Options
    One difference though, AT LEAST THE RED WINGS NEVER LET THEIR CAPTAIN GO TO ANOTHER TEAM, unlike someone the Oilers had! Oh, yeah, the Red Wings have won at least one cup in the past 15 years!!!!
  • Options
    baseballfanaticbaseballfanatic Posts: 2,415 ✭✭
    Although Barry Melrose changes opinions as often as he changes pin striped suits, when I saw his early predictions he had picked Dallas vs. Carolina in the finals.........
  • Options
    The first one that I saw from Barry Melrose, was Ottawa/Detroit in the finals, and my first thought was, OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!