Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I went to the bank a little while ago

coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
and I got a roll of Half dollars. I saw they were in wells fargo paper so I figured I had nothing anyway, but I opened them up as soon as I drove off. Like I expected... nothing.

So I thought I'd drop by Subway to get a bit to eat and since I had no actual cash cash, I had the 10 bucks worth of halves. The total was $3.41 so I handed her $3.50
The franchise owner was standing right there and he sees I pay with halves, she asks him what to do and he blows up.... AT ME! "Don't you know we don't have a slot for those in the cash register?" I was like uh... no.. I didn't, he was actually yelling, not cool tempered like, yelling.... I told him that's all I had to pay with so if he wants he could just give me the sandwich for free (it was already in my possession) He continues to tell me he's sick and tired of people bringing in "odd money" like 2 dollar bills and sacs... I said that's fine I won't be in to buy anything from him again.

Does this happen to any of you? People get upset when you pay with "odd money"

I'm not sure if I handled that correctly, but I was kind of blown away that he started yelling like that, not to mention that I go to subway at least 5 times a month.

Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guy is a freak.
  • Options
    I would pay with unrolled cents from now on. Thats not "odd money" right?
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Head of bone!!image
  • Options
    I've never had anything like that happen to me, but I agree completely with your reaction. What a putz that guy was!

My suggestion would be to contact Subway customer service:

http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/Applications/CustServ/frmCustomerService.aspx

Let them know how the manager at that location berated you for using perfectly good legal tender, and how you would hope they would take proper action against the manager at this location, before they lose even more customers to that nonsense.
    If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    The store is legally obligated to take your money in legal tender form - although I believe that there is an exception for excessive coins - say $10.00 in cents. But, 7 half dollars is in no way an "excessive" amount of coin.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options

<< <i>I've never had anything like that happen to me, but I agree completely with your reaction. What a putz that guy was!

Let them know how the manager at that location berated you for using perfectly good legal tender, and how you would hope they would take proper action against the manager at this location, before they lose even more customers to that nonsense. >>

Thanks, will do!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The store is legally obligated to take your money in legal tender form - although I believe that there is an exception for excessive coins - say $10.00 in cents. But, 7 half dollars is in no way an "excessive" amount of coin. >>

Yes, unless they have a sign that says "NO HALVES" or "NO $100 BILLS AFTER 10:00" or something like that.
  • Options
    I have $500 in halves..all junk, and I pay for my coffee every morning with them..the gals behind the counter always get excited, and keep them...the guy at the sandwich shop was way off base...scr
  • Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap!! Just reading that makes me mad. Money is money. I love spending Sacs.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I would torture that SOB once a week with all sorts of stuff.

Cents, Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, Sackies, Susan B's, etc.......

and then for the finale......

a batch of 2.00 bills.

No lie either, that's exactly what I would do to him.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The store is legally obligated to take your money in legal tender form - although I believe that there is an exception for excessive coins - say $10.00 in cents. But, 7 half dollars is in no way an "excessive" amount of coin. >>

Yes, unless they have a sign that says "NO HALVES" or "NO $100 BILLS AFTER 10:00" or something like that. >>

I'm in a small town and just about all of the gas stations have "We do not except $100 bills" posted. About 2 months ago there was a couple 100 dollar counterfits passed around here, but the majority of the gas stations had that posted before all the excitement. Anyway, I was in the gas station around the time of the counterfits and a guy a head of me had 60 bucks in gas and handed the gal a $100 and she said she couldn't except it, and he said ok, walk out, got in his truck and drove away, she called the cops and reported a drive off.

I was always under the impression they had to except cash regardless if something was posted
  • Options

Actually they dont HAVE to take them. It is their choice whether or not they will accept a kind of payment. Legal Tender means that they are legal form of payment in the US, not that it is mandatory for them to be accepted.
  • Options

<< <i>I would pay with unrolled cents from now on. Thats not "odd money" right? >>

I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options

<< <i>

Actually they dont HAVE to take them. It is their choice whether or not they will accept a kind of payment. Legal Tender means that they are legal form of payment in the US, not that it is mandatory for them to be accepted. >>

but if they put it in your possession and you offer to pay with the cash and don't want to except it, then can you not just leave? You offered to pay, they didn't except CASH and if I don't have a check or card of any type then what? What about with gas? Are they going to siphon your tank?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    these gas stations with their little "We don't accept 100's" are going to have to START with prices hovering at 3.00/gallon. My old truck held 42 gallons and I would only get gas when it was on "E".
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    russ already told me, the owner of the store can tell
    you to pound sand.

but, as a city dweller who visits a lot of small stores in town,
    some people are just b*tchy. plain down right rude. a dry drunk.

i avoid the store from then on. other people want my money
    much more.
  • Options

<< <i>but if they put it in your possession and you offer to pay with the cash and don't want to except it, then can you not just leave? You offered to pay, they didn't except CASH and if I don't have a check or card of any type then what? What about with gas? Are they going to siphon your tank? >>

Your solution would be simple: Take a bite out of the sandwich, then offer to pay with halves again. If they refuse, take another bite, and offer again. Rinse and repeat. image
    If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>these gas stations with their little "We don't accept 100's" are going to have to START with prices hovering at 3.00/gallon. My old truck held 42 gallons and I would only get gas when it was on "E". >>

Word! I filled up my Durango this week, and it stopped at the gas station's limit of $60.00. Did you see the picture on Drudge this week?

I'd pay for that with $100 bill.
  • Options
    TarmacTarmac Posts: 394
    Tell em to put the half in the slot where the sun don't shine!
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with DickyBetz. Just because it is legal tender.... does not mean anyone has to accept it. So technically the manager would be in the legal right to refuse the haves as payment if he wanted to. But I am not sure it is in the business's best interest to refuse to accept the halves... they obviously lost a customer and potentially more.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    I can't believe he complained that you purchased his product and paid with valid money.
    Please download this app to help fight cancer at 0 cost. At no extra cost to you purchases from Amazon and other participating retailers will benefit research!

http://my.affinity.is/cancer-research?referral_code=MjI4Nzgz
  • Options
    I also use halves and SBAs and Sacs frequently. I do get lots of reactions.... and the person looks the coins over carefully.... but usually takes them and puts them in a side slot in the machine without making any comment.

I find it is easier to leave these items as tips! Not very likely any compaints will be made! Plus, it may help spark a new collector!
    ----- kj
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get some raised eyebrows, and even "what are these?" from the younger crowd paying at fast food or convenience stores with halves every now and then. I've never had anyone go off on me like you did though, I'd definately go with bhartman's suggestion and let Subway's Customer Service know.

Somewhat like Rob, my truck takes 28 gallons, so over $80 isn't uncommon each time. There is one gas station that takes my halves as payment luckily, so I don't take many back to the bank. I know he does his nightly deposit in the opposite bank as mine where I get the halves, so it is just easier for me without having to join the 2nd bank.

Quite a few bars or other businesses that don't deal in small amounts have "We don't accept pennies" signs posted. We have the no $100's accepted signs on most of our gas stations as well.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    I can see not accepting $100 bills. Those are prime targets for counterfeiting. But not accepting a half because it doesn't fit into your precious little slot is assinine. Learn how to punch the numbers in manually, loser!!

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with DickyBetz. Just because it is legal tender.... does not mean anyone has to accept it. So technically the manager would be in the legal right to refuse the haves as payment if he wanted to. But I am not sure it is in the business's best interest to refuse to accept the halves... they obviously lost a customer and potentially more. >>

I respectfully disagree on part of that statement. If the company is going to accept legal tender from one customer, they cannot refuse to take it from another. In other words, as long as they have a cash draw they must except legal tender from everyone. Now if they had a sign posted stating they only take checks, debit and credit cards, and have no cash drawer, then yes I could see them denying legal tender.
  • Options

<< <i>I've never had anything like that happen to me, but I agree completely with your reaction. What a putz that guy was!

Let them know how the manager at that location berated you for using perfectly good legal tender, and how you would hope they would take proper action against the manager at this location, before they lose even more customers to that nonsense. >>

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Make sure you specify that specific location/store number. image
    - -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
    was he an American?
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No- they usually welcome it and hide it so they dont give it out. They think that they have something valuable-its funny actually.

respectfully disagree on part of that statement. If the company is going to accept legal tender from one customer, they cannot refuse to take it from another. In other words, as long as they have a cash draw they must except legal tender from everyone.
    This statement is not correct. There is no law to that effect. The company may do as it chooses. They may trust steady customers but may not trust people who are just passing through. image
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Just tell him you found a worm on the meat and would like all your halfs return to you.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>I respectfully disagree on part of that statement. If the company is going to accept legal tender from one customer, they cannot refuse to take it from another. In other words, as long as they have a cash draw they must except legal tender from everyone. >>

Sure they can refuse. There is no law that says they HAVE to accept legal tender, so they can decide to take it or not at their whim. At anytime, from anyone.
  • Options
    I would think that currency or change either way it's considered Legal U.S.Tender....... I know in most state's the law read's clear. If a person owe's a debt and make's an attempt to pay such debt with money, Whether in currency or coinage they have to accept it. If the person refuse's to accept such payment, Then the debt is deemed invalid. You offered to pay and they refused your method of payment.

I know of a person that used to type on the back of his check's in the area below the endorsement line,

" By signing or endorsement of this check
    this payment is made in full and final
    settlement of said debt."

This guy would mail his check's to the credit card company's , Who in return would mass endorse thousands of check's daily, He wrangled his way out of a fortune of debt by doing this. When the companie's tried to file suit against him, He presented the endorsed check to the Judge, Case Dismissed.

He even managed to keep all this from getting on his credit report. As for local and area business owner's I am not sure if there is a written ordinance on the book's that actually allow's how payment is to be tendered. As for the Subway Manager, He's probably going to be "Toast", Just remember to drop a penny or two in his tin cup, As he stand's on the corner with his unemployment benefit's denied....LOL....

Most important rule, The customer is alway's right.
  • Options
    Ozzysdad:

Whoa! Are you saying that he got by by sending in checks made out for, say, $1, to settle debts in the thousands?? How does that get to be legal??

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    I really think this is a customer service issue, rather than a legal one.

There are all kinds of places that won't accept $100 bills.

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Guy is a freak. >>

You say it like it's a bad thing.image
  • Options

<< <i>Ozzysdad:

Whoa! Are you saying that he got by by sending in checks made out for, say, $1, to settle debts in the thousands?? How does that get to be legal?? >>

No, He made the requested amount of his usual monthly payment, So the check wouldn't be pulled and noticed. But a check is a legal instrument, By placing that statement below the endorsement line, The company that accept's it, and endorse's the check, automatically is agreeing to the statement. Therefore they unknowingly acknowledge that the debt is paid in full and final. Once they accept it.... Done Deal...

• Options
    It just goes along with being a manager at Subway.

My GF had a full punched ticket for a free sammich, gave it to him, he says "This program is no longer in effect" and refuses to accept it. She says "OK, then Ill just take one sammich then instead of two" pays and the Cashier gives her a new punch ticket that has the same dates on it!!!

We dont go there anymore.

I would have just asked for the halves back, put the sandwich on the counter and left.

Report the guy but I doubt it will do any good.

I have a friend in KC who get $100 every Friday in $2 bills. Im gonna send him there and watch the fun. image He is louder and more obnoxious than any fast food manager.
    "Marc with a C but call me MAX.
  • Options
    This guy was an incredibly stupid business guy good God! Some people just don't get it I guess?

Another point is that this is what poor folks have to go through all too often, and this is why they develop such an attitude towards certain business people and wealth. How do I know? I was one of those poor schlepps as a kid and somethimes all we had to spend was change, literally. I used to pick up bottles and trade them in and give part of the money to my father and some I'd get to use for buying a grape Crush or something lol. Ironically, my dad pulled himself out of poverty and opned a little shop that was profitable enough to support the family until he died rather young (47), but his vet status gave my stepmom a steady income from the VA which she still gets to support 3 kids as a widow. I remember my father trying to buy gas or other goods with change (I'm not talking $10 in pennies either) and he would get a really hard time or get refused quite often. I just wanted to bring this up because it reminds me of how arrogant people can get if they've never been in a situation like the one above before.

I like to give any spare Kennedies from roll searches to homeless people or toll booths. Most of the homeless people out there are mentally ill to a certain extent and are in situations that have they have trouble in preventing, so I like to hand out halves to them because they are easy to hand out without paper money blowing out of my hand and hope they can have a better day with a little more money in their pocketimage

BB

PS- My father was a "recondo" (MAC-SOG) in Vietnam and suffered from mental issues as a result which affected his ability to maintain daily support until years later when he was able to finally cope, so please nobody give me any flack about people "choosing" their lot in life! Unless you been there ya just don't know!
    Cheers
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shop owner can do anything he wants. It's his store.image
    Larry

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you could offer him the odd money or a credit card. He will have to pay a percentage to use the credit card to the processor about 3%.

If it is a franchise, he is bound by his franchise agreement to provide good customer service and had to go through training to provide such.

He can deposit the daily cash with the bank with all sorts of "odd" money and they will take it.

I suggent you contact the franchisor and complain.
  • Options

<< <i>I would think that currency or change either way it's considered Legal U.S.Tender....... I know in most state's the law read's clear. If a person owe's a debt and make's an attempt to pay such debt with money, Whether in currency or coinage they have to accept it. If the person refuse's to accept such payment, Then the debt is deemed invalid. You offered to pay and they refused your method of payment.

I know of a person that used to type on the back of his check's in the area below the endorsement line,

" By signing or endorsement of this check
    this payment is made in full and final
    settlement of said debt."

This guy would mail his check's to the credit card company's , Who in return would mass endorse thousands of check's daily, He wrangled his way out of a fortune of debt by doing this. When the companie's tried to file suit against him, He presented the endorsed check to the Judge, Case Dismissed.

He even managed to keep all this from getting on his credit report. As for local and area business owner's I am not sure if there is a written ordinance on the book's that actually allow's how payment is to be tendered. As for the Subway Manager, He's probably going to be "Toast", Just remember to drop a penny or two in his tin cup, As he stand's on the corner with his unemployment benefit's denied....LOL....

Most important rule, The customer is alway's right.
    image >>

I remember something from a business law class I once took about "paid-in-full" endorsements on checks. If I remember correctly, it does not work and you are still obligated to pay the remaining debt. I am sure some lawyer lurking this thread will have the exact reason, but if it was possible to do so, the credit card business would be toast.
  • Options
    It is against the law to refuse payment in legal tender. It is permissable to refuse to accept tender in higher denominations, i.e oferring a $100.00 bill for a $1.00 sale.

Also it can be refused Prior to establishing the debt. i.e. I offer to buy your coins, you may refuse legal tender.

Once a debt is established, I pumped gas into my car, legal tender cannot be refused.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    This thread is useless without an address!

How else can we all pay a visit?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Ok... some of you all must be reading different law references than I am.

I stand by the statement that although coins and currency are legal tender.... no one, nor any business, has to accept them in any form that they chose not to. (and no, if one refuses to accept payment in half dollars, that does NOT relieve the debt obligation. however, it does make it more diificult to pay perhaps, so that may not be to the benefit of the one refusing the payment)

Please refer to the US treasury link: http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.html

If someone still thinks that legal tender MUST be accepted... please show me a reputable source for the law or statement that proves this. So that I can become better informed if I am incorrect in my understanding of this.

----- kj
  • Options
    Here is the info from US Treasury website http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.html

"FAQs: Currency

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legal Tender Status
    I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

What are Federal Reserve notes and how are they different from United States notes?

What are United States Notes and how are they diferent from Federal Reserve notes?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20"

----- kj
  • Options
    Also... by marking a check Payment in Full..... does NOT relieve the debt as stated above. In some limited circumstances, it can.... but just marking a check with that wording, and hoping that it is over looked and cashed.... will not usually make it so. UCC 3-311 from revision 1990 has 4 criteria that must be met for the Payment in Full to be binding:

1. The debt in question must be subject to a bona-fide dispute and must be unliquidated in amount. This rules out the vast majority; if you signed a contract/car loan for $20,000, then it would be hard to argue in court that this amount is disputed.

2. The check in question must be tendered in "good faith". This is defined as "honesty in fact and in observance of reasonable commercial standards". This means that if the checked was marked Payment in Full, and there was not a true dispute on the debt, and they were just hoping the payee would just not see the wording and cash the check, THE TENDER OF THE CHECK WOULD NOT BE A GOOD FAITH TENDER.

3. The check must be conspicuously marked as a full payment check. Conspicuous means where it is easily seen.

4. The check must be accepted.

The bottom line... if ANY of these 4 elements are not met...... a payment in full check will not be treated as an accord and satisfaction. Meaning it will not hold up in court... and the debt will still exist.

As I mentioned in the post regarding legal tender.... If anyone has a reference that disagrees with my understanding... please let me know so I can become better informed.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    i drove an ice cream truck for a summer once...(in my youth)

a kid came up and bought ice cream for all his buddies ....and paid me with a whole roll of mercury head dimes...i was so pissed!image
  • Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i drove an ice cream truck for a summer once...(in my youth)

a kid came up and bought ice cream for all his buddies ....and paid me with a whole roll of mercury head dimes...i was so pissed!image >>

That's a real shame...If you'd like, you can mail them to me and I'll give you a nice new five dollar bill for them!
    Zach
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    Do you normally buy the same thing, $ 3.41? If so, go to the bank and see if they have any Ike dollars, SBA and golden dollars. When you buy your sandwich, for $ 3.41, give the cashier one Ike, one SBA, one Golden dollar and a Kennedy half. Screw with their heads.

Timimage
  • Options

<< <i>Do you normally buy the same thing, $ 3.41? If so, go to the bank and see if they have any Ike dollars, SBA and golden dollars. When you buy your sandwich, for $ 3.41, give the cashier one Ike, one SBA, one Golden dollar and a Kennedy half. Screw with their heads.

Timimage >>

image You would probably get the manager called up to talk to ya on that one! I can picture it!
    ----- kj
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I'd suggest tormenting him with an Ike but he might assault you...
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file