Home Metal Detecting
Options

Woohoooo!

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

I was out for a hunt this evening near the site where I got a Russian 2 Kopeks 1859 a few days ago...
Little did I know that I would outdo it by quite some margin this time..

The second or third target was an old ring with gorgeous green patina (pics of it later). It also has engravings inside.
This already made the hunt qualify as "successful", but I was hopeful that an old coin would pop up as well. It didn't look like it though, as I dug only trash and two common 1900's coins for the next hour or so.

Then a very strong signal. It didn't sound promising at all, didn't ring too well from all directions either. It did have about three inches depth to it though, which was a bit deeper than most large trash targets that I had been finding. I dug it.

I cut a plug and flipped it over. The signal was in the plug, and judging by the screaming of the detector, it was very near the bottom of it.
I started taking the plug apart. Immediately I felt the coin. Large coin. Very large coin! And extremely thick and heavy as well!!!

image Insert adrenaline rush icon here image

Fortunately I could identify it immediately, otherwise I would have been very tempted to try andfigure out what it was out in the field..
No Russian stuff this time, now we are in the pre-Russian era, when Finland was part of Sweden image

imageSwedish 2 Öre Silvermynt, 1749 (Copper)image
Minted during the rule of Fredrik I (1720-1751)

It has quite a bit of olive oil soaking to do, but the details look quite promising for a copper of this age.
Hopefully I can post it in nicer condition one of these days (it could take a while though... with coins of this caliber I'm definitely not going for anything more aggressive than olive oil. Maybe in a couple of months..)

This coin weighs a hair under an ounce. Here you can see the size and thickness compared to a US quarter dollar image

Thanks for looking! Happy hunting!

-Z
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    First let me say you YOU SUCK!

Then.. wow. What a cool find. That is a huge coin, and in great shape for that long in the ground. As usual you have interesting finds.

I cannot wait to see how it cleans up!
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Yup, I'll agree with Zulan and add SWEET!!!!
    I tried the hot peroxide on old copper. Olive oil, plus time, works much better.
  • Options
    wtg!....that's a nice find.....go find it's sister now
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Holy Cow man!......That's a pretty cool find! Congrats!..There must be some silver there, and maybe......gold!
  • Options
    Nice work Zot!

That 2 Öre has excellent details for an 18th century dug copper!!
    I have one that LordYetiman gave me a while back with a nice little hole in it.image

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Sweet find Zot!!imageHH,Tom
  • Options
    That is one thick coin, great find. Interesting it did not give a promising sound. When I find a piece of trash that big (I have not found any coins that big with my new detector) and at that depth, my detector would normally goes crazy.

That adrenaline rush is why I detect. That moment you see it is a old coin, not quite sure what it is--is awesome. Somewhat like fishing too. Both hobbies you are always trying to catch that keeper. Fish and coins are often near structure. And when you get that bite/strong signal, the heart starts racing.
  • Options
    Wow! Amazing find...that thing sure is thick! image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, including vaccuums image! Some comments:

<< <i>go find it's sister now >>

Yep.. I tried yesterday, for several hours, but found nothing (except for a huge bag of trash)..
    That's the annoying thing with these older sites... they're not exactly loaded with old coins, so sometimes you come up empty..
    It can be hard to know if they have potential until you find the first older coin, and that can take a while..

<< <i>There must be some silver there, and maybe......gold! >>

I sure hope so!! The odds are that I'll dig quite a bunch of coppers before I find a silver, but there's always hope...
    It's quite a challenging site to detect as it's loaded with trash... hard to find deeper, smaller coins. I'll keep hitting it every now and then. We'll see..

<< <i> That adrenaline rush is why I detect. That moment you see it is a old coin, not quite sure what it is--is awesome. Somewhat like fishing too. Both hobbies you are always trying to catch that keeper. Fish and coins are often near structure. And when you get that bite/strong signal, the heart starts racing. >>

I agree! Actually I like fishing too, although I rarely get a chance to do it these days.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!

What an awesome dig!

I like those. I just sold a nondug example at my antique mall booth a few months back. It went really fast. Krause has them undervalued.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.