Home Metal Detecting
Options

anyone familiar with WHITES PRIZM II METAL DETECTOR with target id?

hi all
i think i got the metal detecting bug. with the warm weather here i was thinking about going down to the beaches around here.,( miles and miles of them) with a metal detector. i did some research on the web and i found the whites prizm ii with target id. there is a whites dealer not far from here who has them for $199.95. i was wondering if anyone here has ever used this particular model and if so how well does it work. thanks

john

Comments

• Options
    Hi John!

I've never used the Prizm II or any of the Prizm series, but I've heard good things about the whole Prizm line.
    With the Whites name it's hard to go wrong really. They make outstanding machines and the Prizm II looks to be an excellent starter machine.

JMO
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Not a good choice for salt water beaches if that's going to be your primary hunting ground.

The Prizm line in general is weaker than the discontinued Classic line. For the money, around $205, I'd go for the Garrett Ace 250. It's impossible to beat the features on that machine at that price point (and I say that as a 15 year user of White's detectors).

If you're going salt water, the machines that work best on those are all much higher cost than that (two minelab water models, the minelab explorer, or White's DFX). Either multifrequency machines or Pulse machines do better on salt water beaches, and if you go pulse induction, you're stuck to using them AT the beach for best results, not inland. Multifrequency for either.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reviews are quite good for that machine.

The previous post regarding salt water beaches brings up a good point, however. If beaches are gonna be your primary hunting ground, you'd do well to save up a little more money and get something a little more salt-sand capable.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

thanks for your input guys. i just found a web site called KELLYCO DETECTORS. they

have a detector mainly for the beach environment called the PREDITOR 2. its got a waterproof search coil and is built on the garrett platform. i am going to call them in the morning and find out all the particulars. from their description it sounds perfect for what i need it for.
  • Options
    I have purchased from Kellyco in the past and I can say they are great. Their prices are also hard to beat, but watch the shipping charges.
  • Options
    Kellyco is the Wal-Mart of metal detectors.

The 800-pound-gorilla of detector dealers, one might say. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

well, after reading every metal detector forum and making some calls i have finally narrowed it down to the one detector i am going to buy. it,s the TESORO SAND SHARK. its a pulse induction detector thats good for the wet sand area at the beach. it doesnt have a disc knob but thats ok with me. i will dig every beep. for $543.00 its a little more than i had expected to pay but i think it will be worth it. besides i sold a couple of pete rose rookie cards which will more than cover the detector and all the accessories(bag, sand scoop etc...)
    isnt it nice that i can sell a few pieces of cardboard and end up with a great metal detector.
    i cant wait to get it and start hunting. should be a really good summer.
  • Options
    Tesoro detectors are somewhat lesser-known in many US circles, but they are popular in Britain and are very popular here among our local relic hunter's set.

I have owned a Tesoro Bandito II briefly in 2004- found a nice Civil War button with it, in the short time I had it. I still own a Troy Shadow X2, which has a 10.5" Tesoro coil on it (Troy is an offshoot of Tesoro, I'm pretty sure). My Shadow is a great relic machine and goes deeeep with that bigger coil. Well, it did. It's currently down- I gotta get it fixed.

A pulse induction detector is your best bet for beach and surf hunting. I think you will be pleased.