Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Dimeman gets passed in the U.S. Dimes Complete Set, Circulation Strikes (1796-present)

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
I see its going to be a tight race in this set for a long time!

Dimeman will need those FB bonus points (2 I'm assuming) when the set weights are completed.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Dimeman can win this battle. He is going for completeness over grade. No problem with
    that philosophy, it just wont win you any awards. Over time his position will get weaker.

The All Dimes Collection will stay on top for a long time. Grade will always prevail. It will probably take
    a new comer to un-throne him.......or

Watch out for the Just Starting set, He has the Mercs and Roosies covered. With a little persistence,
    a dash of dedication, throw in a couple years and a gallon of cash he could own the number 1 tittle.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul,

This set is not going to a bonus for FB. That was one of my requests for the set. I'm going to ask to have it taken off the date set also. I don't feel the FB bonus should be on any set except for the series where there is also a non FB set available.

Any way you are correct it should be a long hard battle. I doubt if anyone will complete this set in UNC. I don't know about the SC collection, but the others in high grade in this set and the date set are all in the later years. When they get back into the Barbers, Seated and Bust they will drop down in grade unless they have really deep pockets.

Onlyroosies,

The Just Starting set is in the Date set not complete set and has a high grade because it is Mercs and Roosies only.

I really didn't think there was anyone else collecting all dimes like I have been doing for the past 35 years. Every show I would go to the dealers would ask what I collected and when I replied Dimes they asked which Dimes and I would say ALL Dimes. They would go WOW I don't anyone doing that!!

That's how I became know on the floor as "Dimeman", so I used that handle here.

AS far as winning, I don't care about that because I know there are people out there with the money to "out grade" me. I just love dimes and want a complete set in the best grade I can afford. I am proud of all my sets, especially the Merc set that was # 1 in 2002 before the big guys showed up. The Merc guys had a blast back in those days when we would put on passing signals to pass someone in fun.

It's all for fun!

Jon
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Merc guys had a blast back in those days when we would put on passing signals to pass someone in fun. >>

That was real fun back then and is Really, Really missed. Some great fun and cheerfull ribbing was lost when PCGS let us automatically enter our coins. Everything fell apart after that Black Week.

Progress was not good !

Ken
  • Options
    There are just to many sets out there to follow. This set isn't even listed under the dimes. You have to dig
    to find it.

I believe PCGS will keep the bonus for FB. If they don't they will have to remove the bonus from the mint sets and proof sets too.
    easier to add to one set then to remove from all the others.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Ken, you are so right. Am I the only one who misses "Red Fridays?. The sets used to get updated once or twice a week in the beginning. The great thing about the Mercateers was it consisted of a group of collectors who loved Mercs, didnt have particularly deep pockets, but enjoyed the ride. I learned more about coins for that group than anyone else, also made some good friends and ALWAYS had more than satisfactory business dealings with a great group of collectors. Here's to RED FRIDAY!
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think Dimeman can win this battle. He is going for completeness over grade. No problem with
    that philosophy, it just wont win you any awards. Over time his position will get weaker.

The All Dimes Collection will stay on top for a long time. Grade will always prevail. It will probably take
    a new comer to un-throne him.......or

Watch out for the Just Starting set, He has the Mercs and Roosies covered. With a little persistence,
    a dash of dedication, throw in a couple years and a gallon of cash he could own the number 1 tittle. >>

I just went and looked at this set in the year/date registry. This collection will undoubtedly be #1 just based on the 2 sets that Onlyroosies stated above.

Dimeman, I promise you that you will fall victim to the FB's. PCGS will add this to this set, as required from the Roosies and the Mercs. I fthey do this then you will have to add 2 full grades to every coin just to catch him.

Now you say that its not a competition for you, but alot of your posts tend to say otherwise. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you or anything like that, but I feel very interested in this set.

Nick, I actually heard one time that you have a gallon of cash sitting around...you keep it hidden under your computer desk right? imageimage

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red Friday's were cool. Nowadays I see Paul (stooge) helping keep the spirit of camaraderie alive for dimes, albeit Roosies rather than Mercs.

Mark

P.S.: Remember the jibs about "fishing lures?"
    Mark

• Options

<< <i>Red Friday's were cool. Nowadays I see Paul (stooge) helping keep the spirit of camaraderie alive for dimes, albeit Roosies rather than Mercs.

Mark

P.S.: Remember the jibs about "fishing lures?" >>

Mark, I'm doing the best I can!!! I think that I will have to hold out for RED FRIDAYS.

When are you going to add your set?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>P.S.: Remember the jibs about "fishing lures?" >>

Spooly caused a uproar when he came up with that one. A half cent and large cent collector jumping into a merc thread with a dime with a hook on it. Classic is all I can say.

Now about Red Friday. It can be revived if everyone only enters their coins on Friday. Of course a thread during the week warning about passing is allowed.

Heck maybe I would enter some dimes....one at a time....image....it would take years to pass anyone though...image

Ken
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    I want to put my dime in!! Dimeman it has always been a competition with you from day one. Anytime someone would close their set or add one that you where unfamilar with you would pound the boards and the e-mails to retrieve the imformation on who the set belongs too. I do share your enthustasim for the dime series but if its not about competition why would you care if the full bands were part of the set. I know going in that I will not be the #1 set I just don't have the funds to finance that kinds of set, so I am happy to buy Nick, Tim, and Paul's lower graded stuff. I just refuse to buy an ugly dime, and it must be true for the grade. I don't want to sound like I am against a little competition but just be honest.
  • Options
    Hey guys, I'm not saying that I don't want to be # 1. It's just that I can't buy the dimes in the grades that some of these others are buying. The one set is closed so I don't know what years he has and what is left. But if someone is going BU in seated and Bust then I don't have a chance. The sets that I have looked at don't show many early years like mine. They have all the Mercs and Roosies. I still have a lot of Mercs and Roosies left and I do have some of the early years in circ grades.

As far as the bands go. I WON'T pay a lot of money for them! I won't pay 2 or 3 hundred for a Roosie in FB that I can buy for 10 bucks in the same grade. And the Mercs are even worse. For example, I will probably get my 19-S in 63 or 64 for 400-600 no bands. With bands that same coin would be 1300-5900. There are a lot like that and some even worse. Generly my rule is to buy the grade just below the big jump. Some coins that will be 67 or 65 or 63 or VF whatever. My early bust coins will probably be vg to fine. My barbers will be AU or better and so on.

I don't really think anyone out there will want to fork out the money it would take to get this set in UNC. Even if they have the money. It would be a very impressive set if done.

And BJ did promise that the complete dime set would NOT have the FB bonus, but if she changes her mind it's no big deal. I'm in it for the fun just to see if I can do it in any grade!

Jon
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>...And BJ did promise that the complete dime set would NOT have the FB bonus, but if she changes her mind it's no big deal. I'm in it for the fun just to see if I can do it in any grade!

Jon >>

I have not heard nor have I seen this. I think that it would be unfair to not add the FB's. The other sets have this, so why not this set?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I'm going to have to e-mail BJ on this one. I'm in Pauls camp on this one. FB bonus should be included
    or they should start another all dimes registry with out FB like they do for the Mercs and Roosies.
  • Options
    I have not heard nor have I seen this. I think that it would be unfair to not add the FB's. The other sets have this, so why not this set?
    From Paul. I don't know how to bring in and italitize.

I believe that it is unfair TO ADD 2 bonus points for FB. I have never been for the FB THING and never will be! To me there is no way that 65FB should count as much as a 67 in a set! The GRADE is the ONLY thing that should count period!!!!

The whole FB thing just makes me see RED! It's just another way to gouge the collector!!!!!
  • Options
    Dimeman, It is not just a grade thing. Its also and more importantly a value thing. A collector should expect
    a higher point value for spending $2800 for a 1957P MS67FB vs $50 for a 1957P MS67. Even though you
    don't acknowledge FB other collectors do as does PCGS. In this case the FB is far more rare and valuable
    then the non-FB and should be rewarded, even though you may not think so other collectors along with
    PCGS do, as noted in their price guide, and registries.

This thread will get e-mailed to BJ and DH. All in favor or against FB bonus points being added to the complete
    dime registry set chime in now and voice your opinion.

My vote is for FB Bonus points to be added.

Nick Cascio
    Onlyroosies
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see Paul's point and I can see Dimeman's point. There is a simple solution to this -

Complete Dime set 1796-date with designations

&

Complete Dime set 1796-date without designations

As simple as that.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    ***WARNING CONTAINS COIN PHILOSOPHY:***

I personally "detest" that the Registries award extra points for FT/FB, but that's the way it is. This will NOT change, so adapt if you want the most points.

I detest the system because - except for a very few dates - it is much, much harder to get a roosie or merc in 68 than in 67 well struck (obviously, 45, 57, 63 are exceptions)....I can attest that all my sets reflect this stated philosophy in that every coin in them is the most flawless and colorful coin I've seen with no regard for MS # or FT/FB.

But being true to what I perceive as rarity has cost me tremendously in the registry race. Several sets are rated above me because of strike bonus points. I've owned coins that WOULD have bumped me nearly 20000 points higher in the standings, but I sold them because I prefer my others. (EXAMPLE: look at my icon coin...Really, should someone's FB designation bump this MS 68 from being a pop top????)

That said, the "positive" for me from the system is that I've made and sold numerous high graded FT/FB coins for $$$$$$.

IMHO far too many collectors continue chasing registry point numbers and not the best available coin. I refuse do this -- I'd rather bump a bland 67 FB coin for a killer 67 any day....and that's why the best rainbow toned roosie proof dime set in the world is worth 122 Registry points!!!!imageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Mitch on this one. There should be a set for both collectors, just as there should be an ALL BUSINESS STRIKE SET, and A VARIETY SET for the modern series.
    Give each collector a place that showcases his coins on an equal footing. Just think of all the nice MS 68-69 coins that would show up in sets if they were not held hostage to a 2 point FB bonus that the owners don't care about anyway. I love FB's, but I have some super MS68's that will never see a registry unless they were given their respect.

edited for error:

The above statement is not ENTIRELY TRUE, I do still have a 1990-P MS68 in my set. Why? Because there is only 1 FB graded for that year, a MS67FB.
    So the best of the rest is the 5 coins graded MS68 no bands. Others that I had listed were removed for 67FB's, its a numbers game folks....
    Dan
  • Options
    I'm with rainbowroosies, "I detest the FB and FT designations". And to me it is only a grade thing. The FB doesn't make it a better grade and should NOT give it more points in the set. I too go by how the coin looks and I would much rather have a 67 than a 65FB. I will not pay stupid money for bands when I can get a prettier coin without the bands for a fraction of the price!

I don't want 2 different sets that just delutes the whole thing. I'm for removing all the FB bonuses on all sets where they are now!!!

Jon
  • Options
    A easy way to settle this. Instead of the BS full band designation that gives the impression of a fully struck coin just convince the TPG's that a "Full Strike" designation is needed. When the TPG's do this then a coin with the "Full Strike" certainly deserves the 2 point bonus.

I believe the TPG's are fairly careful with Roosies and the designation. This is not true with Mercs in my opinion. Way toooooooooooooooooooooo many Mercs get the Full Bands when it is not deserved.

Ken
  • Options
    This is a superb topic, so let's throw some more fire on the debate -- IMHO there are many, many FT/FB dimes holdered a while back that I seriously DOUBT would gain the same strike designation now as they did then if resubmitted raw...what say you strike guys about this uneducated opinion on dimes?????image

In particular, would like to see Onlyroosies' reply....image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options
    RR: While we are waiting for OnlyRoosies' reply, I personally agree with you - BUT, it is not just Roosies - it's key date Franklins, nearly all Jefferson nickels, etc., etc., etc. Those who collected "numbers on an (old) insert tag" may have some very marginal banded Roosies in their collection to be sure under the standards employed today.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Wondercoin makes some excellent points. At one time (1989), I was a total frankie nut...I now see FBL on many holders where my very old eyes cannot distinguish any lines...must need even stronger glassesimage

Why do some frankie dates get FBL when a better struck frankie from Denver in the early 50s does not get it???

• Options
    There is a vast difference in a non FB Roosie and a FB Roosie. If this wasn't the case I wouldn't be sitting in 21st place with only 68% complete, I would be in the top 5 with 100% complete. I have thoroughly looked at all of my Roosies before and after the FB designation and there is a difference. I owned a few Silver Roosies that I had bought graded 67 back in the day and the bottom of the torch was completely missing! No bands, no knob at the bottom of the torch and no vertical lines. I couldn't believe that I had this in a 67 holder. The obverse was certainly 67, but the reverse was AU55!

PCGS may have changed the FB grading over the last 2-3 years and some of my coins may not get the FB today, but there are not many to go around. I will participate ONLY in a set that includes the FB bonus and thats it. If PCGS wants to go to this extent and add this set and that set, well thats fine. Let them do that.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    "I don't want 2 different sets that just dilutes the whole thing. I'm for removing all the FB bonuses on all sets where they are now!!!"

Thats not going to happen. PCGS created the FB, FS, FBL, FH. Just try and tell a top ranked Merc set holder that he will
    not be receiving any bonus points for his 1919-S and 1945-P FB dimes. Go ahead and tell just having fun that the
    hundreds of thousands of dollars he has spent on his world class FS jeff nickel set and FH standing quarter and FB Roosie
    set for that matter has just had its value cut in half.....Check the registries, I believe there are far more sets registered
    under the designated sets then there are under the non-designated sets.

The only solution is to create 2 sets as Mitch stated. Designated and non-designated. I was an FB hater also when I first
    heard about it. But!! This is PCGS's turf and their rules. If you want to play on their turf and play in their registries you
    play by their rules. Once I learned this this game got a lot more fun.

I'm for removing all the FB bonuses on all sets where they are now!!!

Of course you are, your the guy that paid $500 for his 1919-S MS64 merc dime not the guy that paid $6000 for his 1919-S MS64FB
    Merc dime. Now you want yours to be equal to his in the registry.....Which way do you think PCGS is going to lean here.

Rainbowroosie is a great example, He hates FB but has learned the rules of the game and has profited handsomely by it.
    I'm sure he will agree that FB/FT has been very good to him. His interest are in his collection not his ranking in the registry.

Lets see how this plays out.

• Options
    "your the guy that paid $500 for his 1919-S MS64 merc dime not the guy that paid $6000 for his 1919-S MS64FB"

I doubt King Solomon could find a more fair solution than give EACH of these guys their very own Registry sets.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    "Rainbowroosie is a great example, He hates FB but has learned the rules of the game and has profited handsomely by it.
    I'm sure he will agree that FB/FT has been very good to him. His interest are in his collection not his ranking in the registry."

Gee Nick,
    You do know me!image

Read my byline below....it was NOT an April Fool's Day jest...
  • Options
    Fullbands are the accepted standard now, and the only way to go. this also applies
    to the other sets with designations, I agree with Nick and Paul on this,
    I also think there are enough sets already and the generic sets carry
    little wt in the game
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    I would like to thank everyone for this great discussion. image You certainly can learn alot from some of the posters here.

I feel that a few years from now when the top 5-6 guys in this set, have all of the Roosies and Mercs, this set will come down to not just the FB designation (If accepted by PCGS), but the grades in the Early and Bust dime coinage.

Nick is right, its going to take a gallon of cash and a few lucky breaks in obtaining all of these coins.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    DH and BJ I vote for adding the bonus points for the FB coins. I think it's a priority no-brainer.
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Nick, Rainbowroosie and others on this issue. Don't really care if the coin has Full Bands as long as it has the color, strike and grade I'm looking for. But, with that said I don't see changing the rules of the game in the 9th inning.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    It took a while but I want to put my vote in for Full Bands. If they are not worth any more than the normal ms66's and 67's I am due a refund!!!! Fred