Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Can I enter a set that's not mine???

I've stumbled across an old set of high quality coins that should be registered as a set. Can I enter it as a set, then immediately unregister it, so it shows up on the All Time list?

All of the coins are in PCGS holders, and were sold by Heritage about 5 years ago. Of the currently registered sets, I am the only one that has coins from this collection. I could unregister mine for a short time while registering this historic set.

It'll be the #1 All Time Finest Set.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I think it would be wrong to do so.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Any reason why? A known collection in PCGS plastic is better than anything that's registered - why not have it at the top?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any reason why? A known collection in PCGS plastic is better than anything that's registered - why not have it at the top? >>

Do you own the entire collection? If not, it would be unethical to register coins that are not yours.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Not trying to register it as mine, trying to register (then immediately unregister) it under the name of the former owner.

Just like PCGS did for the Eliasberg Set.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Any reason why? A known collection in PCGS plastic is better than anything that's registered - why not have it at the top? >>

Do you own the entire collection? If not, it would be unethical to register coins that are not yours.

Russ, NCNE >>

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I asked Dave in the Q&A Forum if they would add the famous sets for Canadian coins in the future, such as Norweb, Mason, Pittman etc. He said that they would. That was probably a couple of years ago now. Maybe you could ask him?
  • Options
    I was thinking of Jack Alston's set of Canadian Specimen 5c. He also had a remarkable Specimen dollar set.

I'll ask.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If PCGS does it, that is one thing, but why do you think it is your right to do it?
    That's what I don't get......

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    but why do you think it is your right to do it?

I don't, that's why I'm asking. It sounds like the answer is "No, don't enter it". So, I'm not going to.