Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Finally... a 1993-W $50 Proof 70 DCAM...

Here is a copy of Teletrade's release about their auction on Sunday. The highlight is the 1993-W $50 PCGS Proof-70 DCAM.

Link to PCGS

Comments

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    2020 - Welcome to the Boards!
    Steve
  • INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    image to the boards.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Thanks Steve and INXS.
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    9:53 Eastern...it's at $25K

Sounds like a reserve price to me
  • A 69DCAM is probably exactly the same if not better than this coin. All for a freakin registry point!? Jeez, I am sorry but that is just stupid, IMO.
  • I would have to agree.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Sold for $33,000!

ROFL!!!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    It amazes me how people are so quick to bash the new owner of this coin. While it might seem like ridiculous money to pay for a modern bullion proof coin, the guy with the last laugh will be the new owner when he sells it in another 4 to 5 years and makes another $10K on it. JMHO.

I also would not be surprised if this coin does not even surface in the PCGS registry.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A 69DCAM is probably exactly the same if not better than this coin. All for a freakin registry point!? Jeez, I am sorry but that is just stupid, IMO. >>

Nope. There is a difference between PR-69 and PR-70 and this accounts for the fact that they are graded differently.

It is true that this difference isn't great and that you can find two different coins on which it's non-existent.
    Tempus fugit.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with CK and Ellewood. image
  • I'm not bashing anyone, I am just stating my opinion. He can collect what he likes, but it doesnt mean that I dont think its crazy.image
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just noticed the Press Release by Teletrade:

1993-W Eagle Graded PCGS PF-70
    Brings $36,960 In Teletrade Auction .
    (Irvine, CA) - One of only two known 1993-W one-ounce gold American Eagles graded a perfect PCGS Proof-70 deep cameo sold for a record $36,960 in the Teletrade® Premier Sale on April 23, 2006.

"With only two 1993-W Eagles graded Proof-70, this is the rarest one-ounce gold Eagle in the PCGS Population Report. We had strong bids from 15 different people who wanted this coin, and the auction set a record price for any one-ounce American Eagle," said Ian Russell, President of Teletrade® (www.Teletrade.com).

The pre-sale estimate was $15,000 or more. The $36,960 winning bid paid by the anonymous collector includes a 12 percent buyer's fee.

This is the third record price set in recent Teletrade® auctions for certified, modern coins: $16,240 for a 1971-S Eisenhower Dollar PF-70 DCAM; $10,300 for a 1984-P Olympic gold $10 PF-70 DCAM; and $7,840 for 2001-W one-ounce gold Eagle PF-70 DCAM.

"Earlier in April, we also had a winning bid of $54,880 for a 1927-S Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle graded PCGS MS-63," said Russell. "Obviously, Teletrade® attracts buyers and sellers of classic collector coins as well as modern, certified rarities."

Two other perfect-grade modern coins will be offered in the Teletrade® auction that closes on May 7: a 1998-W $50 gold Eagle PCGS PF-70 DCAM with a population of only four, and a 2004-W $50 platinum Statue of Liberty, also graded PCGS PF-70 DCAM, with a population of five.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • 33 K for a modern bullion proof??? Insane! This is the classic modern dilemma-here you have a coin all in the same condition, of which 507 are PF-69, plus the TENS OF THOUSANDS THAT NEVER will be submitted for grading because it's not cost-effective!

Here is my quandry: I have one of these--they all look the same to me-- how do I submit it for grading? If I do it as a "regular" it can't be worth more than 3K. As a "express special", yeah, BUT 50 bucks plus shipping both ways for a 97% chance it will come back a '69????

One of only two....PLEASE!!!!!