Home Metal Detecting
Options

A very unusual question.

As I am very new to metal detecting, ( all of 1 week) I have a question, and it might be a stupid one. Can a metal detector find metal in cement? The situation is that at work we have to string network cable from one floor to the next and it appears the only way to do it is to drill a hole through a cement slab. Funny thing though, it's an old building and they ran some electrical conduit within parts of the cement slab. Nearly fried some guys last time we tried to drill through. Is a detector capable of sensing the metal conduit? Told you it was stupid! hehe. Any help would be great. Thanksimage
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot"

Comments

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Yes, but the reinforcing rod may throw you off a bit.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was with a friend who once found a wheat penny that was encased in a chunk of concrete that had broken off the sidewalk.

Like the mighty Phut said, it'll work as long as there ain't mesh or rebar or other metal stuff in the concrete. Therein lies the problem.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Sure, if you object is to find spots with no metal, that should be easy.
    I'd put it on 3/4's sensitivity, all metal mode and have at it.
    JJ
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    I think this is the first post I've seen here about avoiding metal. image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro