Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the best fee website hosting service????

BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
Hi all,

I am looking for opinions on website hosting. Ideally I would like my own address so I expect a small yearly fee for the domain name. This site will be coin related so I hope this is the proper forum.

I plan on offering in-depth historical info on coins I collect as well as posting coins for trade and sale.

Thanks ahead of time.

Ben

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friends who are more computer geeky than I often say godaddy.com is what they like. But opinions are like, well, you know the rest.
  • Options
    Photobucket.
  • Options
    I think photobucket is only an image host.
    Please download this app to help fight cancer at 0 cost. At no extra cost to you purchases from Amazon and other participating retailers will benefit research!

http://my.affinity.is/cancer-research?referral_code=MjI4Nzgz
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't used a free host in a long time... a lot of hosting companies will provide a free domain if you host with them. I've personally had lots of success with startlogic in the past (and present), and they're quite inexpensive. Any minor problems have been cleared up quickly, and they've got 24/7 online tech support image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    I have a dedicated server with a bunch of free space. If you aren't going to be doing HUGE amounts of traffic, I'll host your site for 1 cool PCGS coin per year. You decide what you want to send me, but it should be PCGS graded. A $10, $20 or whatever coin. How is that for an offer image

• Options
    Airplanenut, starlogic looks like the place of choice-they have pretty much everything one could want. Is this the site that you use for your design web page?

Fletcher, thanks for the offer and if I was not going to try to setup the trade portion of my site your option would have been fantastic. I like that starlogic can help setup the e-commerce portion to handle funds.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Ben
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the best fee website hosting service???? >>

So you were looking for FREE, not fee?
  • Options
    I know it sounds crazy, but you could start a Yahoo group or for that matter go with Geocities.

I run a web site for my Moms coal town at Geocities,an exonumia web group at Yahoo (coal Scrip) and a MSN group page as well.

There are alot of good, viable and better yet FREE options.

Good luck
  • Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    I haven't used it, but just read an ad yesterday for

1and1.com

They compare their service and features to Yahoo and Go daddy

Key diff

4.99/ mo vs 11.95 and 9.95
    2 doamin names vs 1 /1
    web space 10kmb/5kmb/10kmb
    2kMB mail vs 2kmb and 10mb

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Heywood's recommendation is a good one. I have used 1&1 for about 3 years now and haven't had a single problem.
    Link to 1&1 hosting
    They are not free but nearly free since the domain name is included. I don't use their webpage creation tools but they have a lot to offer.
    I decided against free hosts becuase of all the annoying pop-ups and advertising they usually require, and automatically insert, on your pages.

Another idea is to check woth your ISP. Many give you a few megs of web space for a site, just no domain name. If you have to pay to ad a domain name, you may as well go with 1&1. Good luck!
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ben,

My site, and lots of sites I've built, are on Startlogic. All of my ebay/forum images are also hosted there.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    all i can say is this:

you go with free, you get what you "paid" for.
    that often means images loading so slow, i will not
    wait for them to display. you can tell when we all
    have a picture post, some people's images are just dog
    slow even if you are sitting on 4mb/s cable or dsl.

i check where the image is coming from and it is always
    a free hosting place or a very very large ISP who gives
    a measily 5MB to customers.

so, why not just pay for a domain, 7 dollars, and get a year's
    worth of hosting for 40-60 dollars? if you plan to sell on ebay
    you will be glad that your several pictures per auction display
    super fast for potential customers.

otherwise, why not try sdf.lonestar.org . super cool.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I use Yahoo. It was a little more expensive than some, but I figured I would stick with a big name. I get 5Gb storage, a domain, EMail, 200Gb/mo bandwidth.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

I have Cox High Speed internet and they give me space for free to create a web page. I've gotten an address, but haven't figured out how to program the page.

Point is, your web service might allow you space.

Here's what they say:

As a Cox High Speed Internet Customer, you are able to publish your own web site via our Personal WebSpace feature. This feature is great for sharing pictures with family or just for fun.
    You may activate Personal WebSpace for each of your email addresses. Each Personal WebSpace can store up to 10 Megabytes of web content, including pictures and HTML.

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Generally you need an FTP program to move things back and forth from your webspace.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What is the best fee website hosting service???? >>

So you were looking for FREE, not fee? >>

At least close to free. image
  • Options
    OK, after checking a few of the suggested sites I have decided to go low cost web hosting to get more features and no pop ups.

Again, thanks for all of the replies they were all useful. Now I just have to decide which one so if anyone has example personal or business websites at any of these hosts I would love to see them.

Thanks.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    interesting
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    I brought this to the top because I am considering building a coin related webpage and hosting it via godaddy.

My question to all you techno geeksimage is if I sign-up with godaddy, do they provide the website building tools that I will need to create my site? If so great, if not where or to whom do I go to purchase the website builiding tools.

Thanks
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    Go daddy is great, there is a program called OS Commerce that has a nice shopping cart, it takes a little playing with to figure out but there is an OS Commerce forum also, I have been slowly working on one myself and that is what I use. There are all sorts of free stuff once you sign up with godaddy, depending on what you are planning on doing. OS Commerce is as it sounds, good if you are planning on selling things.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    Edited out double post.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of my website's are hosted by Yahoo. And they have a free download website builder that you publish to the website.
    You build the site and publish it your self. I never did it before, but with their software I published two.

Stefanie
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use Yahoo. It was a little more expensive than some, but I figured I would stick with a big name. I get 5Gb storage, a domain, EMail, 200Gb/mo bandwidth. >>

I also run a website on yahoo business. Got a decent deal and haven't had any issues.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Directnic offers inexpensive hosting for domains as does godaddy.

However what "language" will your website be in? If just an HTML website, then probably buy your domain at Directnic and for a few bucks host it there.

If you are going to be using ASP you need to check around.
  • Options
    Web hosting is cheap, cheap, cheap...

Don't even bother with free hosting. Between pop-ups, google ads, and hosts which are slow, unreliable, and/or just crap, not even
    worth discussing for a "professional" web site.

For an e-commerce solution, you not only have to have some software running, like osCommerce (which is good and free),
    you also have to spring (eventually) for an SSL certificate for your domain, which could be a bit pricey.

As far as web hosting goes, hard to beat a good outfit like ICD Web Hosting (Link) which
    is about $6 per month... Have used them for years on a major domain chess site and they are among the best, IMHO.

John
    John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Powweb. They are awesome. 4 years and not one problem or outage. I think it is like $5.77 per month.

The One Plan includes:
    1,500 GB Disk Space
    15,000 GB/mo Bandwidth
    FREE Domain Name
    Unlimited Mailboxes
    75 MySQL Databases
    Host Unlimited Domains

If you end up goign with them, let me know. I think I can get some kind of referal $$$ image
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    One of the best values is Christian Web Host. The host most church sites but will take commercial sites as well. Few places can beat their prices for what you get in the package. If you need space and want your site on dedicated servers, one of the best deals out there is EWD Web Host.

WH
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Start Logic is awesome.
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't use gate.com...their customer service is horrible.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file