Home Metal Detecting
Options

What do you guys think about this article??

I've actually been to one of the hunts before.

link

Comments

• Options
    thanks for posting the link.

It REALLY bugs me to read the archaeologists' comments... I would think they should work with the detectorists since they claim that they need help. Maybe do something like they do in England. I've heard about the England trips where they have a resident archaeologist/historian on site, after a day detecting out in the field, the finds are brought to a table and are recorded. (both detectorist and archie go home happy)

Need to work together in order to preserve history and this hobby...
  • Options
    I'll tell you what bugs me......I personally know several archaeologists that kept stuff they found on digs. Some of them were digging for the University of Georgia. I am sure that this sort of thing is common with them, and I was assured that a lot of them have kept artifacts. "Not a big deal", he said, "A lot of this was common stuff anyway"...Yea sure.
  • Options
    grrr... yes, I've heard of that out here in CA too... a guy from our club found a $10 gold coin that the archie "claimed" was historically significant. It was never seen (or heard about) again. If it was so significant, why wasn't there an article written, item placed on display, etc... imageimage
  • Options
    One of the guys I know has an indian burial jar along with several indian bowls he got from a local site sitting on his fireplace mantel....
  • Options
    This article just shows you how unloved MDers are. They did everything correct and still they get a negative rap. If the landowner says it is okay, then it should be OKAY. Lawmakers should not infringe on personal property rights. In my area many schools are even off limits. The number of locations we all can metal detect is surely dewindling.

Thanks for posting the article.
  • Options

<< <i>It REALLY bugs me to read the archaeologists' comments... I would think they should work with the detectorists since they claim that they need help. Maybe do something like they do in England. I've heard about the England trips where they have a resident archaeologist/historian on site, after a day detecting out in the field, the finds are brought to a table and are recorded. (both detectorist and archie go home happy) >>

Yes, to many "Professional Archeologist" we are considered the treasure seekers and pot hunters...or all around bad guys. Not by all of them though...I personally know some top notch professionals in the field that do work hand in hand with the avocational folk like me. They are few and far between, but they understand that all the top archeological sites in the country were first discovered by typical collectors like us.

<< <i> grrr... yes, I've heard of that out here in CA too... a guy from our club found a $10 gold coin that the archie "claimed" was historically significant. It was never seen (or heard about) again. If it was so significant, why wasn't there an article written, item placed on display, etc.. >>

Yes, GRRRRRR pretty much sums it up. Many "Professionals" claim all this information is being lost by the "pot hunters" who take relics from sites. Yet, they dig a site and catalogue each find(supposedly) only to have all this important information unreported to the public (who's tax dollars by the way, paid for the dig)
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage