Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1985 Topps Football . . .

Hello all and happy Easter!

Say, recently I purchased a 1985 Topps football rack box and another wax box. Pulled plenty of gradable cards. I've been hammered on past '85 fb submissions, but feel pretty good about this lot of cards.

My question is, do I submit roughly 100+ cards in one large submission in hopes of attaining several 9's and - dare I say - 10's, or do I simply break up gradable cards into separate smaller submissions (with cards from other sports/years) in an attempt to control damage?

I really enjoy this set and will probably keep a handful and sell the rest. Just sold several 9's - mainly low pop commons - for fairly decent prices.

I'm very reluctant to invest a great deal of cash (for me, anyway) and risk getting hammered again.

Input would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to provide scans later.

Thanks!

Rick

Comments

• Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    I've had the best success with 25-50 card lots. Send in a good mix of cards, otherwise the best cards cancel one another out (PSA 10s need to stand out from solid 9s). The corners are the key to this set.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    make sure to 10x loupe at a minimum on the corners and edges.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Jersey. I agree that you should probably send in smaller 25-30 card submissions at first, especially if they are from the same unopened box and or case. this will give you an idea of what the box as a whole should grade out as, and whether you should spend any more time or money sending in any more from the box. It would also avoid sending all cards in at once to the "grader of death".

• Options
    One thing to consider is that you can get a discount on a submission of 100+ cards. It's called a bulk submission. It's $6 per card instead of $8.

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>I've had the best success with 25-50 card lots. Send in a good mix of cards, otherwise the best cards cancel one another out (PSA 10s need to stand out from solid 9s). The corners are the key to this set. >>

I think this is excellent advice in general!!!

I've learned the hard way several times.