Options

print run question

does anyone know the print runs on:

91 topps tiffany compared to 91 topps desert storm
-mark

collecting roger clemens and yankees

Comments

• Options
    I've read 3,000 sets of '91 Tiffany, I THINK, but I could be off. I don't think the print run of the Desert Shield is known, but I'd wager it is several magnitudes less than the Tiffany sets (regardless of their print run).

Desert Shield cards usually sell for several times more than their Tiffany counterparts.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi gldneagles311...

I believe that jmbkb4 is correct when he says that there were approximately 3,000 1991 Topps Tiffany produced. The pop for the Desert Shield cards is approximately 6,800 sets, but jmbkb4 is correct when he says that the Desert Shield sell for like 10X the price of the Tiffany cards of the same year.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of the '91s and happen to collect both. I've never heard of any estimates of print runs for the '91 Tiffany to even guess at 3000. The lowest, official number for any Tiffany series is 5000 and I can't imagine Topps going any lower than that considering how Topps operated back then. Anyway, I agree the Desert Shield print run is probably approximate twice that of the Tiffany, but the Tiffanys are far easier to find in high grade though. The aggravating thing about the DS cards is that they're printed on some of the worst card stock that Topps have ever had and are very condition sensitive.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    One nice thing about the Tiffany sets is that they're numbered. If everybody who owns a 1991 Topps Tiffany set who reads this thread would post the serial number of their set, we'd be able to have a pretty good guess at the total print run.

gldneagles311: you might want to re-title the thread "1991 Topps Tiffany/Desert Shield Print Runs".

I'll check the serial number on my set when I get home.