Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A question on required insurance

I bought a $3.99 card on ebay with a $2.99 shipping charge. I can live with that because I needed the card. When the invoice came in, I was charged $2.30 insurance, $1.00 delivery confirmation, handling and material charge and .41 cents tax. I sent an e-mail to ebay about "fee avoidance" but never got a response. I hate paying almost $11.00 to receive my $4.00 card, but when it shows up sitting on my front porch with no insurance in a bubble mailer, is that right? Are sellers allowed to collect insurance and charge for delivery confimation, then not insure the package? I feel like telling the seller I never got the package and I am lucky that I purchaced insurance. Now, I am getting e-mails from him telling me to leave feedback to complete the transaction and he will do the same. I am on the 4th e-mail about feedback. He told me he would block me from bidding on any of his auctions if I did not leave positive feedback for him. This is why I hate Ebay.

Comments

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Seems silly to even discuss such small monetary amounts, but did you ask the seller why he charged insurance and didn't insure your package? Since the card was so cheap, the minimum USPS insurance is only $1.30 anyway. A good seller would refund your insurance charge in this case, before you left him positive FB.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Was all that listed in the auction description?

Here's what ebay has to say about it -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    eBay encourages sellers to clearly describe the item and terms of shipping and delivery in their listings to avoid possible confusion.

A shipping and handling fee can cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. However, shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

When a bid is placed, the bidder is entering into an agreement with the seller to purchase the item, which most often means incurring reasonable shipping charges that may also include handling fees.

In the case of disagreements between buyers and sellers regarding shipping charges, eBay encourages the parties to try to work the matter out.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:
    Listing cancellation
    Limits on account privileges
    Account suspension
    Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
    Loss of PowerSeller status

Why does eBay have this policy?

This policy reduces the potential for confusion among bidders about the full cost of an item. Listings that include excessive shipping and handling fees lead to a poor buying experience and un-level the playing field by putting sellers who charge reasonable shipping and handling charges at a disadvantage. These listings undermine the trust and legitimacy of eBay’s marketplace
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Down at the bottom of the page is a place to report him if the auction didn't have all that in it.

report excessive shipping charges
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'd leave that guy a NEGATIVE.

Then I'd email him and tell him that feedback was left. and to please block me from all future auctions of his as I dislike getting hosed on shipping.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    If you paid via paypal, you can get the card for free. Just say you never got it. Ask the seller when he shipped and ask for the delivery confirmation #. Tell him how happy you are that paid extra for all the insurance and delivery confirmation because it's the last card you need for the set. See what he says to that! What a fool that seller is!
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options

<< <i>If you paid via paypal, you can get the card for free. Just say you never got it. Ask the seller when he shipped and ask for the delivery confirmation #. Tell him how happy you are that paid extra for all the insurance and delivery confirmation because it's the last card you need for the set. See what he says to that! What a fool that seller is! >>

The problem with that is the 3 claims a year limit. It's April. It's not worth filing a claim for $12.

Just file a complaint with ebay, and leave the negative as soon as you file it. Once you file it the neg is coming your way anyway, might as well be first.
  • Options
    If your feedback is perfect; is it worth taking a negative on an $11.00 transaction? It must be incredibly frustrating, so you may want to consider if you are willing to absorb an unnecessary negative.
  • Options

<< <i> If you paid via paypal, you can get the card for free. Just say you never got it. Ask the seller when he shipped and ask for the delivery confirmation #. Tell him how happy you are that paid extra for all the insurance and delivery confirmation because it's the last card you need for the set. See what he says to that! What a fool that seller is! >> >>

Take the high road everytime. Doing this would make you as bad if not worse than the seller!! image
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    there are no limits to the number of paypal claims in a year. that guys is a jerk - i'd declare not received if d/c was not used and leave him a negative. he needs a lesson in my opinion.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    there are no limits to the number of paypal claims in a year.

Cal are you sure? I remm at one time that there was.

In any event I would not claim the item did not come. Take the hi road as Poppie says.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    the last time I asked pay pal was about 2 months ago during a dispute and they said the claim limit per year had been stopped.

• Options

<< <i>there are no limits to the number of paypal claims in a year. that guys is a jerk - i'd declare not received if d/c was not used and leave him a negative. he needs a lesson in my opinion. >>

I probably misread it.

No More Than Three Claims Awarded Per Year. Buyers are limited to receiving no more than three PayPal Buyer Protection claim payouts per calendar year. Each listing in a multiple-item payment is considered a separate claim award. After a buyer reaches the award limit, he or she may file additional claims under PayPal's standard Buyer Complaint Process. Recovery of funds, however, will not be guaranteed under the Buyer Complaint Process and 'significantly not-as-described' items are covered only on eBay items.

• Options
    I agree it is frustrating to pay for insurance and D/C and have it shipped with neither. I live next to a high school and have kids walking past my house every day and they have taken packages before. I hate coming home and finding a $240.00 Sandy Koufax in a bubble mailer on the rack under my mailbox. No insurance and no D/C, I am very lucky to find it still there. 4SC is another one who self insures their packages, have not tried to file a claim yet, but that should be fun.
  • Options
    One other thing thats been missed, he charged tax, maybe make sure his states dept of revenue has him on file?
    XTRA INNINGS SPORTS CARDS
    Now Closed For Good

REFERENCES: check rmcards4u

Looking for tough Game Used and Autos in Football and Baseball, expecially Phillies, Orioles, Redskins, Steelers, Eagles and Raiders.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Call paypal to find out.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>One other thing thats been missed, he charged tax, maybe make sure his states dept of revenue has him on file? >>

Excellent point. Unless this is a big dealer (doesn't sound like it), there's another way to pad his profits.
  • Options

<< <i>I bought a $3.99 card on ebay with a $2.99 shipping charge. I can live with that because I needed the card. When the invoice came in, I was charged $2.30 insurance, $1.00 delivery confirmation, handling and material charge and .41 cents tax. I sent an e-mail to ebay about "fee avoidance" but never got a response. I hate paying almost $11.00 to receive my $4.00 card, but when it shows up sitting on my front porch with no insurance in a bubble mailer, is that right? Are sellers allowed to collect insurance and charge for delivery confimation, then not insure the package? I feel like telling the seller I never got the package and I am lucky that I purchaced insurance. Now, I am getting e-mails from him telling me to leave feedback to complete the transaction and he will do the same. I am on the 4th e-mail about feedback. He told me he would block me from bidding on any of his auctions if I did not leave positive feedback for him. This is why I hate Ebay. >>

If you paid via PayPal, I know what you should do................
  • Options

<< <i>I bought a $3.99 card on ebay with a $2.99 shipping charge. I can live with that because I needed the card. When the invoice came in, I was charged $2.30 insurance, $1.00 delivery confirmation, handling and material charge and .41 cents tax. I sent an e-mail to ebay about "fee avoidance" but never got a response. I hate paying almost $11.00 to receive my $4.00 card, but when it shows up sitting on my front porch with no insurance in a bubble mailer, is that right? Are sellers allowed to collect insurance and charge for delivery confimation, then not insure the package? I feel like telling the seller I never got the package and I am lucky that I purchaced insurance. Now, I am getting e-mails from him telling me to leave feedback to complete the transaction and he will do the same. I am on the 4th e-mail about feedback. He told me he would block me from bidding on any of his auctions if I did not leave positive feedback for him. This is why I hate Ebay. >>

That's way too much for insurance. I charge usps insurance rate and delivery confirmation is included in s/h. Why $1.00 for a del. confirmation. Post office DC is 60 cents. Postage printed through ebay/paypal is just 14 cents. Was it printed through paypal/ebay?

Some sellers will say they use 3rd party insurance. Some actually insures and some pocket the money. Same as sales tax some reports the sales and some don't.

Some hold feedback hostage (like that seller) and most don't.

I don't mind being blocked by him. With that experience I will not by from him again.

3 or 4 paypal claims in a calendar year. After using all those you can (I think) go straight to your credit card company. They lifted the limit?

I once neg a seller (now NARU). I paid for insurance and item wasn't insured. I asked him about the insurance and never replied. I neg him stating I paid and was not insured. he negs me back and telling others to avoid me. I counter and said to check his feedback. he has the habit of pocketing insurance fees. he never mentioned using 3rd party insurance.
    Sellers who uses 3rd party should show proof that it was actually insured through another company. Only one seller who showed me a proof other I bought from never did.

Why is it that even if the seller's NARU that neg still counts toward my FB rating. I thought it doesn't once NARU. Anyway I have 3 buy IDs and that's my only neg.

Who's the seller so I'll avoid him?

RIP Snow