Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Spanish papal medallion: Happy Easter

This gigantic, heavy medallion is a testament to the visit of Pope John Paul II to the Royal Monastery
of Santa Maria de Guadelupe, in Estramadura (Spain), in 1982.

The monastery itself represents four centuries of Spanish religious architecture. Its history begins
with the Hieronymite monks (the Hermits of St. Jerome), and it was restored (after deterioration in
the 19th century) by the Franciscans.

The Hieronymite monks were granted the monastery in 1389. It was the shrine of Our Lady of
Guadalupe; the monastery's famous statue of the Virgin Mary became a powerful symbol of the
Christianization of the New World, and the most venerated icon of the Virgin in Spain. The cult was
transferred in the 16th century to Guadalupe Hidalgo, Mexico, but the monastery is still a center of
pilgrimage.

Francisco Franco visited the monastery several times during his rule in Spain. In 1955 the monastery
was elevated to the status of basilica. Prince Juan Carlos visited in 1961 and 1965, and
again as King in 1978. November 1982 marked the visit of Pope John Paul, for which this
impressive three-dimensional commemorative medal was struck.

One side features a strong high-relief portrait of the Pope in front of the Monastery, with the legend
Juan Pablo II, Testigo de Esperanza ("John Paul II, Witness of Hope").

The reverse bears the legend Recuerdo de la Visita de Su Santidad el Papa Juan Pablo II, al Real Monasterio de Santa Maria de Guadalupe * 1982 ("Commemorative of the visit of His Holiness Pope John Paul II to the Royal Monastery of Saint Mary of Guadalupe, 1982").

The medallion is quite large, measuring approximately 95mm in diameter, and weighing 230
grams (about a half pound).

It was struck in bronze or copper.

I purchased this memento from a dealer in Madrid's celebrated El Rastro open-air
market several years ago.

Comments

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that is big! Very nice medallion, and exellent background information.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, huge medal image
    I love the relief.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Here's an angled shot that shows off the high relief:

• Options

Wish I could have seen it before it was removed. I'm trying to match up the one I have but it was a good thing you left a description of it on top of just a photo. this one is from , well it says Mexico on it. No Pope, only the virgin Mary on the one side and a church entrance as if you've already stepped inside. both sides have a 3D effect (high relief must be). Not copper or bronze. Maybe nickle or a silver alloy. bigger than a silver dollar, like 44 grams, with "VIRGEN Sma DE GUADALUPE" then "BENDICE Y SALVA A TU PUEBLO" surrounding her as she stands. A LOT of writing on the church side.
    Ok, take this MUCH and run..."AL CERRAR LAS SOLEMNIDADES DEL 4* CENTENARIO DE LAS APARICIONES DE LAMADRE DE DIOS EN MEXICO 1938 "