Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

"About Time" or "What Allen Berman Doesn't Know"

Here's a new purchase from the ANA National Money Show in Atlanta: a coronation medal of
Kaiser Wilhelm I (King of Prussia).

The previous curator of this enigmatic piece was none other than H.M. Alanus I, the king of
Bermania -- a gentleman coin dealer of the old school (you've seen his ads in such publications as
The Celator) -- who pronounced it one of the oddest Kaiserreich pieces he's ever handled.

The obverse shows a fairly standard profile portrait, bareheaded, of King Wilhelm I of Prussia, lately
elevated to the post of German emperor. The legend is in French: LE ROI DE PRUSSE.
The reverse is less straightforward. It shows Wilhelm crowned and robed as German emperor, with
a clock (marked 70 71) suspended on his chest. The legend below reads 1870 - 1871, and around the
perimeter are various ornaments: stopwatches, interconnected rings, urns, goblets, etc. In the
background, two more clocks and several arches.

Berman wasn't sure what it all means, but opined that the medal might be a satirical piece. I
wondered if it might be more symbolic than satirical (maybe a pro-German message: "It's about
time"?). The French connection is curious, though. Would a patriotic Frenchman have struck a medal
honoring the German kaiser? Would a patriotic German have struck a medal in French?

I'm posting some (poor-quality) photos, and will post some better scans shortly. Can anyone shed
some light on this interesting medal?

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Although I have no light to shed on this neat medal, I am sure that in time (pun) someone will be along who does. I was fortunate enough to be at Allen Berman's table when Dentuck came by. He was kind enough to show me the medal which is quite nice in person. I hope you'll keep us posted if you find any information about this item elsewhere.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    By the way Dentuck, you may want to consider turning your PM feature on.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ttt

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Nice medal, I never did get with Allen, by the time he had open space I was too tired and burned out... image
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Aethelred, immediately after I posted this, my CU connection went kaput, and I'm just now getting back online! I'll try to get my PM turned back on, too.

It was nice to meet you at the ANA show. A chance meeting -- I wonder how many other W&AC forum members were there? I see a few reports trickling in.

Surely there's a Goetz collector or Second Empire aficionado who can tender a theory on this medal...
  • Options
    There were several other Darksiders there, Ajaan, Spinaker and Rhound that I know of.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Bueller? ... Bueller?
  • Options
    Part of the Rhine valley went back and forth between France and Prussia. I have an odd collection of coins from that region. I believe that after the defeat of Napoleon in 1815 Prussia gained that territory. Perhaps that's where the medal is from.image