Home Sports Talk

How bout them METS!!

WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
I know it is early and they have beaten up on 2 celler dwellers BUT this team looks like the real deal!

Last year the NL east appeared (to me anyway) as the tuffest in the MLB. This year it looks like the NL central may hold that distinction. The AL East looks strong too.

Any thoughts on what division is actually the strongest this year?

Steve
Good for you.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they will make a lot of noise this year, bringing in Delgado will be huge for them and help Beltran have a huge bounce back season.
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Mets lineup is amazing. seem to have enough pitching to beat the braves this year.

I still think the nl east will be tuff this year. phillies and braves will pick up. phillies up coming schedule is real easy.

If mets can sweep the braves next week. they might run away with the division though.

I dont want to get overconfident but they like the best team in baseball right now. I know we played the fish and the nats but you have to win the easy ones to have a shot at the title..
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    The Mets might be the best team in baseball this season. They are building around a great young base (Wright, Reyes, Beltran), they got stronger at a few spots (Delgado, LoDuca, Wagner), and have excellent starting pitching.

I stand by my earlier prediction for October - a rematch of 1986 Mets / Red Sox.
  • DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Would love to see the match suggested by the CTSOXFAN Man. The Mets creamed the Nats in the opening series.....not too impressive, but a good start.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to get revenge for '86.
    8-1 now! glavine pitched a gem 11 k's pen hold it down! we beat a 6-3 brewers team with a good pitcher tonite. we also beat dontrelle willis.. have we not earned any respect yet?

I HOPE WE HAVENT! love to see them play with a chip on there shoulder all year.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Mets have a solid team, and they are all performing.

Reds are an amazing 7-3, with a beauty tonight against the Cards, 1-0.

• BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I think they will make a lot of noise this year, bringing in Delgado will be huge for them and help Beltran have a huge bounce back season. >>

I still can't believe what the Mets paid for Beltran. Talk about an old fashioned hose down. We should send over
    Scott Boras to negotiate with the Israelies and Palestinians; he's probably have them all playing Twister together inside of 20 minutes.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    At least one team here in NY has a pitching staff and clutch hitting.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mets look like the class of the NL and playing Washington and Florida all season long will only help them.

Standings and team records don't mean diddly in baseball until around Memorial Day Weekend. By then enough games have been played to even out any early season winning or losing streaks that tend to get fans in a uproar because so few games have been played and the records either look golden or downright afwul.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Last year they started out at 0 and 5 and that never evened out.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Steve,

well you are right. I guess my point is that by Memorial Day each team is pretty much what the record is. Just the first marker in the season for me. A 8-1 start by the Mets or any other team would be well hidden inside the schedule if that kind of streak happened at any other time than the very beginning of the season. Now if the Mets continue with streaks like that from now until Memorial Day then ,yep, they be the class of the NL image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Dan

I agree with you. However this is the Mets we are talking about. lol

Steve
    Good for you.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think they will make a lot of noise this year, bringing in Delgado will be huge for them and help Beltran have a huge bounce back season. >>

I still can't believe what the Mets paid for Beltran. Talk about an old fashioned hose down. We should send over
    Scott Boras to negotiate with the Israelies and Palestinians; he's probably have them all playing Twister together inside of 20 minutes. >>

Great line, and true!
  • NBAFanNBAFan Posts: 744
    Brewers put a hurtin' on the Mets today 8-2.
    Hey if the Mets can win 8 of 10 all year I'll take it.

As for Beltran, yes last yr he stunk. He was howver hurt. i look for 30 homers and 100 rbi from him this yr. That happens the 119 mil will begin to look alot better.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Steve,

if the Mets play .800 baseball every 10 game stretch we can all mail in our World Series Champ dreams image

lol I have to hope they can play 800 ball that way if they play 550 Ill be happy.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

6 games against the Phils in May.

We'll see then.
    Things are getting interesting in Queens NY.

Steve
    Good for you.
    huge win tonite! delgado home run..nady home run.. wagner save.. all new players are getting it done.

5 game lead 10-2!! long season to go.
  • A question I've been pondering lately: How is it possible that I can still purchase a PSA 9 1992 Bowman Carlos Delgado rookie for $10 on eBay. Seems ridiculously underpriced, based on his career.

What does anyone else think?
    glad you mentioned this. im gonna pick up about 10 of them now. if he continues to play this way all year new york fans will drive those cards up.
  • Today's game was more like it image

Davies goes from allowing 5 runs before an out in his last start to pitching a complete game 3 hitter at shea this start.
    i knew braves would win. i took braves ML + 138 tonite. zambrano is horrible pitcher. and when mets are starting chavez in center and valentin in left. lineup doesnt look as strong. braves have some injuries but there bench players are a lot better then the mets.

should be a good game tomorow. glavine vs hudson. hopefully beltran and floyd will play.
    I agree Chris. They win 2morrow and it is 2/3 from the braves and the braves era is over. you heard it here first.

Im on the bandwagon for the whole year.

LETS GO METS!!

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>i knew braves would win. i took braves ML + 138 tonite. zambrano is horrible pitcher. and when mets are starting chavez in center and valentin in left. lineup doesnt look as strong. braves have some injuries but there bench players are a lot better then the mets.

should be a good game tomorow. glavine vs hudson. hopefully beltran and floyd will play. >>

you had more faith in davies than me

i had the blue jays -1.5 tonight (+295 image)

hudson has looked bad this year, but it would be nice to see a good pitcher's duel tomorrow.

• back to back complete game 3 hitters by braves starters image
    Took the braves again today +128.. my thinking is if mets win its the best 25$ i ever spent. if they lose it svcks but at least i won money.

I hate those braves so much i cant explain it. but i will be going the 28th -30th of april to watch my annual a$$kicking at turner feild.

It has to end one year image
    sigh
    Good for you.
    People hate the braves? Why?

They win with class, they win by playing the game it's supposed to be played, and they win without running their yaps about it.

No ax I HATE THE BRAVES.. Me myself and I hate the braves. WHY bc they have been kicking the sh$t out of my favorite team every year since the early 90's.

They were not keeping there yaps shut in the papers before this series began do more research on that.

And in your post you say they win blah blah blah. but they only have 1 freaking ring as the atlanta braves to show for it.

I know its only an april series other mets fans. but this was a heartbreaking loss. our bench compared to braves..we are at a serious disadvantage! i hope willie gets rid of valentin he is a waste of space..

And what the heck was glavine thinking today? 0-0 game 7th inning a jones up 2 out. you down in the count 2-0 to him. PUT HIM ON BASE. only player in there lineup today that can beat you. sure enough blast homer.

hudson walked delgado in the 7th same situation. out of inning. 9th inning he had to pitch to delgado bc dont want to put winning run on in the 9th with wright on deck. he almost paid for pitching to delgado..

ohh well im done venting. off to san diego to face peavy image
    Chris,

Axtell just became a "fan" of the game recently. He knows nothing about the passion that develops growing up and rooting for a team. To Axtell, only the amount of money a team spends lends reason to hate. He is to much of an infant sports fan to know anything about how the past fuels rivalry and a healthy distaste of teams that directly compete against your team for success, payroll and location be damned.

He knows nothing about the passion that develops growing up and rooting for a team.

I think this goes for a lot of teams fans out there. seems to me teams in the northeast those fans it makes or breaks there day.

I goto a lot of braves games around here and its easy to see people dont take it to heart. its more like just a fun night out to the game win or lose . they dont care if i wear my mets jersey and hat to the game. no one says a word. up in new york and philly people just act different.
    Delgado hits another, Mets out in front 1-0

matsui has homered in his first at bat in each of the 3 years he has been a met? did i hear that correctly?

Lets go METS!!

Steve
    Good for you.
    softy-

your anger with me is displaced. Obviously you have issues with your parents from your youth, otherwise, why would you be so angry with someone you've never met? Were you beat up a lot as a kid? No friends? There's a lot of potential areas that could cause your angst. Listen to a lot of emo music? Probably. You whine nonstop like those emo kids do.

And the Braves have only one ring in their run of division titles, but I think they've won a ring more recently than the Mets, no? Yes they should have won one or 2 more titles. But they've won it all, which is more than a lot of teams can say (teams like the Mariners, for instance).

yeah the mariners, rangers and nationals.

some company.

the padres have at least been there. 2x

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>yeah the mariners, rangers and nationals.
    some company.
    the padres have at least been there. 2x
    Steve >>

Yes and real fans don't need championships to justify their fandom...just ask the multitude of eagles fans here.

Unlike you, self proclaimed bandwagon rider.

What, did the Jeter thread prove to be too tough for you to keep up with, so you're back to get slapped around by someone new?

talk about spewing hatred.

me thinks you are exactly what you claim about everyone else A bitter little man that has only his right hand for sexual gratification. no go away you bother me. you are like a mosquito. and, I slap mosquitos.

slap around? ok ms axtell.

That will be the day you or your buddy slap anyone around.

SD

Good for you.

<< <i>talk about spewing hatred.

me thinks you are exactly what you claim about everyone else A bitter little man that has only his right hand for sexual gratification. no go away you bother me. you are like a mosquito. and, I slap mosquitos.

slap around? ok ms axtell.

That will be the day you or your buddy slap anyone around.

SD >>

Who's spewing hate? Perhaps you should objectively go back and look at the overrated thread. CT posted the results of a poll, a POLL, and you can't post fast enough stating 'espn is all knowing' or some other such crap. You are so all consumed with hate that I imagine you sitting at your computer, pounding your fist on the desk in anger. Hah you're such a dope...you are so easy to toy with, so easy to get FURIOUS!

A bitter little man? Nah, I have fun here, getting simple minded folk like YOU so upset you can't see straight...so mad you lose rational thought.

And my right hand? I am sure sheltered, simple minded man who has probably never even been with a lady.

Now get lost, dope.
    lol

I think you should go back there too. Dallas awaits your reply.

listen you boor me. go away.

Steve
    Good for you.
    And my right hand? I am sure sheltered, simple minded man who has probably never even been with a lady.

So you admit it?

you are a sheltered, simple man that has never been with a lady?

lol

Steve
    Good for you.
    And the Braves have only one ring in their run of division titles, but I think they've won a ring more recently than the Mets, no? Yes they should have won one or 2 more titles. But they've won it all, which is more than a lot of teams can say (teams like the Mariners, for instance).

axtell ill go back to the post from softparade and myself... TRUE fans take this sh$t to heart! you said braves win with class and all that stuff..

I said I hate them always will..and i live down here in atlanta now. I dont care how classy they are!

and how classy is there manager? you know he beat his wife up when he was drunk right? he might as well be john daly!

How do they win with class? please explain.. remind you down here on radio they used to call bobby cox the drunken redneck!
    WP-

Ill spell it out for you, as it's obvious your simple mind can't comprehend basic english. I was referring to your inane post when I said 'my right hand?' questioning what the hell you are talking about, to which I replied TO YOU, you twit, that YOU have probably never been with a lady.

<< <i>And the Braves have only one ring in their run of division titles, but I think they've won a ring more recently than the Mets, no? Yes they should have won one or 2 more titles. But they've won it all, which is more than a lot of teams can say (teams like the Mariners, for instance).

axtell ill go back to the post from softparade and myself... TRUE fans take this sh$t to heart! you said braves win with class and all that stuff..

I said I hate them always will..and i live down here in atlanta now. I dont care how classy they are!

and how classy is there manager? you know he beat his wife up when he was drunk right? he might as well be john daly!

How do they win with class? please explain.. remind you down here on radio they used to call bobby cox the drunken redneck! >>

Of course there is no excuse for striking a woman...but was he convicted, or did his wife change her story the next day and the charges dropped? By classy I mean you don't have Braves players in the media talking how great they are, they aren't self promoters, they just get the job done. I respect you having a rivlary with them, and hating them, but I would think a team that goes out every day, every year and wins would earn respect, even if you hate them.

but I would think a team that goes out every day, every year and wins would earn respect, even if you hate them.

well if you hate a team as much as i do.. of course they earned my respect.. but do more research they arent that classy.. they talk a lot of sh$t! they always have. yes they do have self promoters.. listen to 790 the zone down here for 8 years and you will see..

the bobby cox thing.. of course she dropped the charges! pressure from him and the media will get to those problems!
    kuhl-

I guess since I don't get the local media, and rely on national coverage. If they are a bunch of loudmouths down there, my bad.

Sure ya did Ax..............sure ya did.

i read it like you said it.

LOL you are a jamoke

you can flip flop all ya want.

hey, btw how's the hand doin?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • So how about that Carlos Delgado? As a Jays fan, I miss him. Is New York embracing him? Seven HRs.
    WP-

What part of admitting I was wrong don't you get? Why are you such a loudmouth, obnoxious, buffoon?

I said (pretty simply, I thought) that the national media must paint them in a different light than the local media does...since I don't live in the Atlanta area, I am not privy to as such.

Now, that you've been beaten down again, go away.

• pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WP-

What part of admitting I was wrong don't you get? >>

i admit you were wrong..

schizo..

racist..

go take your meds..
    ·p_A·