Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry set regrade question...

I have 7 coins in one of my Registry Sets I am going to send in for regrades. Two of them will be on a FREE grading submission since I have my set complete. The other 5 will be going in the same package, but on Regular paid service. All are in my opinion high quality coins that I am of course trying to see if I can get bumped up to a higher grade and all but one are in MS66 holders(the other MS65). Is there any combination that gives me the best chance of upgrading? As in.... Would it be best to send the two best coins in the FREE submission since that will isolate them from the others.... maybe send 1 in with each submission.... or send both in the Regular submission to give one or both the chance to stand out. By the way... if either of these coins upgraded they would probably jump 5X in value to $6K or more.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Barry,
    My advice to you is to save your money and enjoy your coins. If your coins are MS65 and above and you like them in your Set Registry what reason do you have to spend more money to have them regraded? Well, I guess your reason is M O N E Y. But, realistically, IMHO, you are playing a game with PCGS. They have certain guidelines for grading and my guess is that there is a 90% likely hood that they will regrade as THEY see it, not as YOU see your coins. Good luck. Steveimage
  • Options
    Steve,

Thanks for your response. I don't consider it a game to try to get upgrades since I have no plans on doing it more than once. The worst that can happen is they all come back the same grade for about $180(fees & shipping). I'll gladly post some of the coins if anyone wants to critique my thoughts. They have exactly zero marks/ticks and excellent strikes for those years.
  • Options
    Example.........

My lighting for these pictures and all of my others was indirect sunlight, so you just have to take my word for it that all are blast white with full cartwheel. Any blue haze if from lighting. Given that, you just have to deal with the technical aspects of strike for the year & the general merits of the coin that would make it a MS66 or MS67. This coin is a 1943-S(all are walkers) which is generally a fairly poor struck coin compared to some of the P's & D's.