Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Choosing a TPG for Darkside...

Well, I received this coin the other day:

imageimage

I think it's as bogus as the day as long. Looks and feels like brass to me.

Seller, however, is so adamantly sure that it is legit, that the only way he'll refund is if I send it off to a TPG, and if it comes back fake, he'll refund plus pay the certification fees.

*shrug* Ok. Seems like throwing good money after bad to me, but what do I know?

So I sat down and compiled the current pricing on world coin grading from the TPGs, and put together a web page showing the various tiers and costs for world coins, as well as a cost comparison for a 5-coin submission for each TPG:

http://www.coinpictures.com/tpgs.html

Bottom line is that I'm leaning towards ANACS, although the 10-coin initial submission deal from ICG is tempting. Another thing to watch out for is the maximum value limits at each tier (many of them have a $300 limit per coin on economy service, but ANACS bumps that limit to $500 per coin, which makes them potentially a better deal depending on what you're submitting).

Any comments, corrections, or suggestions are welcome!

[Apologies if someone else has already done an at-a-glance comparison, but I didn't find one...]

Comments

• Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    I would submit it to ANACS if I were you. They are the best in detecting counterfeits IMO. They are the best in accurately grading world coins too. I do not submit to them now as they do not attribute world coins properly (in one case returning the coin stating it was not in Krause!!!), bad new holder and equally bad customer service. They did not even note the problem on one net graded coin. That was the last straw for me.

NGC's turnaround time is the best and they are also very good in attributing world coins, taking extra time to get it right, and use a lot of standard reference books.

Just my 2c.
  • Options
    I consistently use NGC and ANACS....
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this case I would use NGC because of the quick turnaround time. If the coin sits too long at the TPG the seller may be less likely to refund your money if it is indeed a fake. Also, NGC is the cheapest now.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    How do you figure NGC is the cheapest?

Cheapest tier at NGC is $16.50; cheapest tier at ANACS is $16.00...
  • Options
    NGC -- ANACS is in the middle of a move from Ohio(?) to Austin and is having major turn-around problems currently
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes you think the coin is fake?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Even if that coin is real it would not be graded by NGC or PCGS because of the harsh cleaning. You should not have to go to so much trouble to return a coin you are not happy with IMO.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Even if that coin is real it would not be graded by NGC or PCGS because of the harsh cleaning.

Doesn't seem all that harsh to me. If real, I would expect it to grade.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>Even if that coin is real it would not be graded by NGC or PCGS because of the harsh cleaning.

Doesn't seem all that harsh to me. If real, I would expect it to grade. >>

Look at the hairlines on the reverse.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there are concerns regarding a cleaning, I think your best bet is ANACS...especially as you less intereted in the slab and really after counterfeit status. I believe you can still request their old slabs.

Cathy

• Options
    Look at the hairlines on the reverse.

I see them. Lots of coins with hairlines get graded. I'd guess that this one would grade 61, if real.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Looks and feels like brass to me.

Based on the picture, copper or bronze is far more likely.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    coinmickeycoinmickey Posts: 767 ✭✭
    What is the seller's return policy?

I agree with Aethelred, why are you having to go through all of this to get your money back?

Why can't you just return it??
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    It's a seller I do a lot of business with, so I want to keep the relationship "friendly." He got a bit testy when I used the word "fake", so I think he's trying to prove a point.

I don't have a problem with it in this instance, since I don't see a downside for me. If it's bogus, he refunds and pays the fees. If it's legit, well I probably would have wanted to slab it at some point anyway...

I still cannot imagine it coming back legit though.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I though ANACS's lowest price was $20, my mistake. I still would rather pay the extra 50c to NGC and get the coin back in three weeks compared to the 3 months ANACS economy can take.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Dont forget NGC gives a 10% discount for filling out the submission form online.

--- or did they stop that?
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options

<< <i>Look at the hairlines on the reverse.

I see them. Lots of coins with hairlines get graded. I'd guess that this one would grade 61, if real. >>

Not if the hairlines are from cleaning, which appears to be the case here.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>It's a seller I do a lot of business with, so I want to keep the relationship "friendly." He got a bit testy when I used the word "fake", so I think he's trying to prove a point.

I don't have a problem with it in this instance, since I don't see a downside for me. If it's bogus, he refunds and pays the fees. If it's legit, well I probably would have wanted to slab it at some point anyway...

I still cannot imagine it coming back legit though. >>

What is the weight?

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Nuts, my digital scale is going off the deep end... Damned Chinese P.O.S....

Anyway, according to my balance scale, it weighs 14.6 grams.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The weight should be 15 grams

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Dont forget NGC gives a 10% discount for filling out the submission form online.

They still do.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Bringing this thread to the top to ask this...

After two years and an almost total switch of ANACS & ICG graders...I would guess there might be some "new" opinions on what TPG would be prefered for World Coins...

I recently acquired some 17th to 19th century Thalers, a few older Turkish pieces, a few Chinese coins, some Indian coins and a smattering of other coins. If I were to decide to have them holdered, who would you recommend?
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    Actually, I'm curious as to the ultimate outcome of the original post..... Was the coin slabbed??? And at what grade??? Or was it Fake????

• Options
    DaltonistaDaltonista Posts: 354 ✭✭
    Many contemporary counterfeits of these circulated...but probably not as many as their predecessors, the 1811-12 18d and 3/- tokens. They're listed on eBay UK all the time, generally acknowledged by their sellers as contempo-fakes.

Here's one active now.

And another.

My hunch is that you'll pay more to have it "certified" than it's worth.

Best to all ~
    Tom
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Forgive me for my two cents, but this coin looks fine. I do not know the series whatsoever, but if you lookk at the devices, it appears to have the frostiness that one would expect with the flow of the metal. Maybe the hairlining you are seeing is possibly cabinet friction or friction from a holder. With a different view one may be able to tell, but it looks like a good coin from my eye. Why would this particular coin be any other way? To add to this discussion after trying to find this coin, I can't find it in my Krause. I still do not see a cleaning on this coin from the pics. Pay attention to the devices, they look frosty to me. -Dan