Home Stamps Forum
Options

Stamp inheritance

ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
I am getting a large collection of early American stamps from my grandfather. I am a coin collector and know little about stamps. My question is what should I be looking forward to finding? I have not seen them yet, but he said that they are from the beginning.... whatever that means. Any help would be great!! Thanks! -Dan

Comments

• Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    The beginning for regular US postage started in 1847 with the 5c Franklin and 10c Washington, known as Scott #1 and #2 respectively. Anything early with a high denomination is worth looking at; say 50c and above. Also the pictorials; these are square-shaped with pictures of a 10c yellow eagle, 12c green ship, 15c landing of Columbus, 24c Declaration of Independence, 30c red/blue shield/eagle, and 90c Lincoln. The higher denomination Columbians and Trans-Miss are also popular as well as many others.

If they have faults, then they could be considered just space-fillers depending on the severity. Faults include tears (even minute), creases, missing or short perfs, thins, repairs, and more. Other things that can drop the value fast are pen-cancellations and bad centering where the perfs cut into the design or a bad cut.

Please keep us informed.

Doug
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! I will let you know when I receive them. I have already gotten some of his foreign stuff. Mostly 1900 to 1950's cancelled stuff. -Dan
  • Options
    Don't sell them to a dealer without first buying yourself a new Scott U.S Specialized Catalogue and doing research for yourself. You should be able to tell if you have a good collection fairly quickly. Beware of pricing the bureau issues and washington/franklin heads until you have more experience with watermarks and perforations. I have purchased many collections over the years and these are often mounted incorrectly. Good luck with the collection. Again don't sell without a reputable dealer (APS member) giving you an appraisal. I have been in dealer shops before and seen people come in off of the street with fantastic collections and accept $100.00 or less, because they haven't done their homework.
  • Options
    Not detracting from the good advise received so far in this thread, you have already the inquiring attitude as coin collector.
    This is in itself a stepping stone to philately - discovering this or that with good reference catalogues.

Many times one hears about someone inheriting stamps in some form or other. Just as many times as said, a good collection is practically snapped up for a insulting few Dollars.

I have always tried to encurage the Heir to indulge in furthering a possible new found hobby. This could lead to a good friendship, customer or new dealer.

On the other hand some detest stamps and would rather warm themselves by burning them.
    To those, my advice is. Because of some likely value content, make the effort, go to three different better known Stamp Dealers.
    Take then the best offer and you are rid of the stamps.

The Heir is happy, the stamp dealer more happy, and silent philately is the happiest - it gets into the market again.

Enjoy your hobby !
    Offer quality British Africa, Commonwealth, Africa philatelic material.