Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ghost 3

ledzep87ledzep87 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
I have been looking at quite a few modern Lincoln pennies and have noticed that on some 2003s, the 3 is either partially or completely missing in the date. I have read that there is a "Ghost" 3 variety on proofs....has anyone else seen or heard of this "ghost" 3 on regular pennies? Thanks for any info.
Great transaction with: Relaxn, Collectorcoins, OKCC

Comments

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't noticed, but...

I initially thought this thread was about the sequel to the Demi Moore, Patrick Swayze & Whoopi Goldberg movie.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    I was doing some research on this, the lincoln 2003 proof ghost 3 "error" When the coin is tilted the 3 seems invisible thus the date reads just 200.

Is anybody familiar with them and know if the hold more value? The cherrypicker's with cents was written prior to 2003.

Sorry no picture as of yet.
    Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin
  • Options
    JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭

<< <i>Haven't noticed, but...

I initially thought this thread was about the sequel to the Demi Moore, Patrick Swayze & Whoopi Goldberg movie. >>

I thought it was about a video game!

• Options
    I have some uncirc Business strike 2003's that exhibit that, I am not sure it is recognized anywhere, but I did put them in 2X2's and label them "disappearing 3". Surely eventually they will make cherrypickers guide I would think, but I don't know how rare they are.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one as well - the 3 just disappears as you tilt the coin.
    I have also wondered if there was any premium for the coin but doubt it is really rare. More like a novelty to me.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    there are plenty of these out there, as every proof set I bought that year had one in it.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No premium unless you find someone uninformed.
    I remember when these came out and scummy ebay sellers were hyping them up as the disappearing 3 and ghost 3.
    Many sets came like this and it isn't an error or anything.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>No premium unless you find someone uninformed.
    I remember when these came out and scummy ebay sellers were hyping them up as the disappearing 3 and ghost 3.
    Many sets came like this and it isn't an error or anything. >>

I remember ebay being litterd with them for months!

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking maybe this time Demi Moore becomes a ghost an goes looking for Patrick. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file