Home Metal Detecting
Options

Best way to approach cellar holes?

So over the winter and these last few cold months, ive been out in the woods riding sleds and bikes, and have found 3 cellar holes. Ive been talking with a friend of mine who i usually go out hunting with and we were talking about the best way to hit these areas, any recommendations besides using a rake to clear off some leaves first? anyone hunt these often and have you found anything interesting and at what depths?

Now that its finally warming up up here, im heading to my first hunt since last fall image nice tot lot and a empty lot they dump all the winter snow image

Sam
I'd rather be driving a titleist

Comments

• Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    How long ago do you think the place was built and how long ago do you think it was stopped being used and collapsed or burned, as they usually do. I have 3 sites I want to hit again this spring and one other I found last fall. I have tried to picture how everything was laid out but being heavily forested it makes it difficult to see it as it might have been 150 years ago. Two of these places have a road, starting to grow over now, but it was the main road at the time and I've thought about the place many times over the winter. I've found dumps that was last used in the 1950's there and I have a pretty good idea how everything was laid out i.e. barn, house etc. I haven't found the well yet and I suspect it may have been filled in with stones.
    Other than that it should be just like any other site. Coins and valuables are where they were lost. I'd start near the hole and work myself away from it. The clothesyard would be a good place if you could determine where it would have been.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    or did you mean how do you get close without falling in?image
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".