Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

microscope to see coins better

I want to get a microscope to see my coins better any suggestions of a brand etc... greatly appreciated.

Jj

Comments

• Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a meiji EMZ TR and I love it. I have a collpix camera attached and it works great.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know that there is really a particular brand to look for. Most of them seem to be generic brands. It's the features that you want to consider.

I would recommend a binocular or trinocular scope. Plan on being able to take pictures because even if you aren't doing so now, you will eventually want to. I haven't had good luck using a trinocular feature, but many cameras can be attached to one of the eyepieces of a binocular scope.

My scope has a variable zoom which I think is very valuable, since fixed power scopes tend to have large jumps between X factors such as 15x to 30x. You can get frustrated when wanting to look at something at a power in between.

Lighting from the the top and bottom is another feature, but I never use the bottom light on mine. And if you want to take serious pictures you will want to add your own lighting lamps anyway.

Hope this helps!
    Doug
  • Options
    SciotoScioto Posts: 955
    Before you spend ask yourself what you'll use it for. Will a 10x loupe let you see the coin just as well?
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • Options
    Well a loupe might be fine but I am also handicapped and have a bit of difficulty holding something still in my hand for a period of time. I am not sure a loupe would work really.

Jj
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a really good computer screen, there are some nice CCD scopes out there that can attach to your computer as well.
    Doug
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    The toy microscopes(QX-3's or 5's) work well for 60X magnification. They are relatively cheap and take pretty nice pictures too. The bonus is that they use your computer....

Becky
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the classifieds and local pawn shops. Sometimes you can get them used for a very good price. A good time to check is late spring since many medical students sell their disecting microscopes to raise money. You want a low power zoom from about 10X to 45X or about 7X to 30X. Different brands have different power ranges. You don't want something too powerfull.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Toy microscope being what brand, where from and yes i'd like it to be compatible with my computers?

I have kind of been looking here Microscope World

Jj
  • Options
    Becky was refering to this digital Blue QX5 I use it also. image
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Posts: 903
    I use this one. What I like about it most is that it has an adjustable "zoom". That is almost a must have feature. Monocular, but you can't beat it for the money, only $139.
    I take my pics using this microscope and a Sony CyberShot digital camera, which has a usb connector that hooks to my PC. They load automatically on my PC and I use MSFT Digital Image Pro 9 to process the photos like I want them. Examples:
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Well a loupe might be fine but I am also handicapped and have a bit of difficulty holding something still in my hand for a period of time. I am not sure a loupe would work really.

Jj >>

Then how about a desktop magnifiying glass? Clamps to the desk. I've seen them go as high as 7X and most have some sort of light built in.
  • Options
    This is an lighted 3X

available from Staples. $170
  • Options
    What do you think of DM-52

Thanks for all the help and opinions also

Jj
  • Options
    I agree with Murphy the Zoom is terrific. I have it on the scope I study coins under.
    I just don't have a camera on that. That is why I picked up the QX5.
    once I get an area set up away from the kids little hands I hope to pick
    up this set up. scope
  • Options
    Murphy...

I image those Lincolns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I collect Lincoln errors, also! I have some pretty cool ones.
    Joe
    CONECA #N-3446
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is an lighted 3X

available from Staples. $170 >>

Mom bought something just like that. She gave it to me for when she visits and wants a light and magnifying glass to read with.
    I tried it for coins. It sucks (hard to set up just right for coins).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RWRW Posts: 485
    I have a few questions for the QX5 users....

Do you view through the scope at all or is viewing always on your monitor?

Is there any delay in viewing objects on the monitor or is the process close to simultaneous?

Is there anything you don't like about it?

This seems like a good deal for $80. I collect varieties and can't get any decent closeups with my digital cam.
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Posts: 903
    Thanks Joe! Have you got pictures of your errors?
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options
    RW,
    The QX5 only allows you to view things thru the monitor and it is real time. I had to cut some
    plastic off the bottom to get close enough to slabs to focus at 60X. Also I'm not sure if it is a
    compression thing or what but when you save an image from the QX5 it has a certain file size
    say 70K @ 500 x 500 dpi. I cut the size down to 499K x 500 dpi in adobe photoshop elements
    and save it now it's 30K. Bring it back up to 500 X 500 dpi in photoshop and it is still 30K.

Murphy I'll see what I have for errors. For now here's a '47-S lamination error I posted
    a few weeks ago.

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I bought one of those cheapo 69.95 ones at the baltimore show and love it.
  • Options
    Murphy,

My best are at CoinWorld, right now!

I recently found a 1917 DDO...

These are from today...

A 1988 Lincoln...

a 1999 die crack...

These are from a 2000. I doubt it's doubling because the US Mint says it's impossible!image...

I have so many error coins...triple, double clipped, blank planchets, etc. but I am too lazy to photograph them!
    Joe
    CONECA #N-3446
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    You may want to check with the Fermi or Bell Labs. They have the electron microscopes. Maybe they have an old one for sale. The instead of just making one part of a coin large, you could inspect each molecule.
    Carl
  • Options
    Update. Just bought DM52 Thanks for the opinions and the great lincoln pics

Jj
  • Options
    jsturman31,

That DM52 has a built in digital camera?!? That's awesome! Please post some pics on this thread when you get it.
    Joe
    CONECA #N-3446
  • Options
    I plan to post a bunch image

Jj
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I plan to post a bunch image

Jj >>

Did you ever get this?

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."

Leave a Comment