Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rip or mistake? 1903 Louisiana Purchase Jefferson $1 gold

jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sometimes I'll come across a listing that catches my eye, and I'll throw a bid in to keep people honest even though I don't collect the series. I can't remember the last one that I won like that.

Does anyone see anything in this listing that I should have picked up on, or that would explain why only one other person placed a semi-reasonable bid? I have a six-month-old greysheet that listed a buy in XF of $510, and the seller restated his generous return policies in the questions area at the bottom of the listing. Yes, I know it could be counterfeit, but...

(lots more large pictures in the original listing)

Comments

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Looks polished to me. Too shiny. I'd like to own one of these, but I would only buy a certified one.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

TMot99: <<Looks polished to me. Too shiny. I'd like to own one of these, but I would only buy a certified one. >>

I tend to agree and PCGS certified Jefferson Gold Dollars are currently not expensive, in contrast to past prices for these.

Classic Gold Coins for less than $5000 each, Part 2: Commemorative One Dollar Gold Pieces
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>TMot99: <<Looks polished to me. Too shiny. I'd like to own one of these, but I would only buy a certified one. >>

I tend to agree and PCGS certified Jefferson Gold Dollars are currently not expensive, in contrast to past prices for these.

Classic Gold Coins for less than $5000 each, Part 2: Commemorative One Dollar Gold Pieces >>

You agree to a 8 year old thread just so you can plug you new article image

Have Coinweek buy some advertising banner ads here and stop bumping archaic threads image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Broadstruck.
  • Options
    LMMLMM Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Thanks for the post I appreciate being kept up to date in the market but mostly learning about coins even if I don’t collect that seriesimage
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Broadstruck: <<You agree to a 8 year old thread just so you can plug you new article>>

MidLifeCrisis: << I agree with ... Broadstruck>>

Previously, I was unaware of this thread. Eight years ago, I was not a member of this forum
    Now that I have researched One Dollar Gold Commemoratives, I have something to add to this specific thread.

As the coins in question are from the early 1900s, some of the discussions about them span time periods. The fact that a thread was started eight years ago is not a reason to question its validity now.

Consider that the original post related to the notion of buying a non-certified Jefferson One Dollar Gold Commemorative and to market prices for One Dollar Gold Commemoratives. My article relates to both these concepts. I am indicating that I have something to contribute in relation to the issues raised in this thread. Are Broadstruck and MidLifeCrisis contributing information to people who are interested in One Dollar Gold Commemoratives?

Do Broadstruck and MidLifeCrisis have productive questions or educational comments relating to One Dollar Gold Commemoratives? Are they really interested in learning about them or are they posting to this thread for the purpose of attacking me?

It is my honest understanding that posting links to educational and/or news articles is allowable under the rules, even encouraged. Furthermore, the article in question contains extensive discussions of PCGS certified One Dollar Gold Commemoratives that have recently sold. Frequently, my articles report news and offer analysis relating to PCGS certified coins. In most cases, they are very much pertinent to the topics of this forum, more so than many other posts.

Other than a few cataloguers for auction firms, I have written more about PCGS certified coins than the total combined writings of all other authors. Unlike cataloguers for auction firms, I am neutral among auction firms and I often reports news, especially including news about PCGS certified coins.

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The auction was shut down.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Analyst:

I understand your perspective. But I think I also understand Broadstruck and MLC. In particular, I estimate that easily 80% of your posts have links to articles you have written. I almost always read and like the articles but it would be nice if more of your posts seemed ... well, less self-promotional.
    Mark

• Options

<< <i>Broadstruck: <<You agree to a 8 year old thread just so you can plug you new article>>

MidLifeCrisis: << I agree with ... Broadstruck>>

Previously, I was unaware of this thread. Eight years ago, I was not a member of this forum
    Now that I have researched One Dollar Gold Commemoratives, I have something to add to this specific thread.

As the coins in question are from the early 1900s, some of the discussions about them span time periods. The fact that a thread was started eight years ago is not a reason to question its validity now.

Consider that the original post related to the notion of buying a non-certified Jefferson One Dollar Gold Commemorative and to market prices for One Dollar Gold Commemoratives. My article relates to both these concepts. I am indicating that I have something to contribute in relation to the issues raised in this thread. Are Broadstruck and MidLifeCrisis contributing information to people who are interested in One Dollar Gold Commemoratives?

Do Broadstruck and MidLifeCrisis have productive questions or educational comments relating to One Dollar Gold Commemoratives? Are they really interested in learning about them or are they posting to this thread for the purpose of attacking me?

It is my honest understanding that posting links to educational and/or news articles is allowable under the rules, even encouraged. Furthermore, the article in question contains extensive discussions of PCGS certified One Dollar Gold Commemoratives that have recently sold. Frequently, my articles report news and offer analysis relating to PCGS certified coins. In most cases, they are very much pertinent to the topics of this forum, more so than many other posts.

Other than a few cataloguers for auction firms, I have written more about PCGS certified coins than the total combined writings of all other authors. Unlike cataloguers for auction firms, I am neutral among auction firms and I often reports news, especially including news about PCGS certified coins.
    >>

why not start your own thread about it? the auction is long gone and so are the pics so reviving this one is pointless imo.
    Barber dime newbie/junkie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file