Home Metal Detecting
Options

WINNER!!: Best Relic/Other Found March , 2006

Please vote for best relic/other.

Total Votes: 29
#1. IndianHeadMan's Eagle "D" cuff button.
10 (votes) 34.48 (%)
#2. Riccar's 1884 general service button.
9 (votes) 31.03 (%)
#3. Phut's large decorative flat button.
0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
#4. Phut's small decorative ball type button.
0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
#5. Phut's pewter Greatful Dead bear on a surfboard.
1 (votes) 3.45 (%)
#6. Phut's Spanish officer's shoe buckle of the American Revolutionary War period.
4 (votes) 13.79 (%)
#7. Phut's silver coated lion.
1 (votes) 3.45 (%)
#8. Phut's Tiger Cubs neckerchief slide.
2 (votes) 6.90 (%)
#9. CROCKofCOINS' Eyelash curler.
2 (votes) 6.90 (%)

#1. IndianHeadMan's Eagle "D" cuff button. D stands for Dragoon. Dragoon was the name of the mounted soldier groups before they were called cavalry at the start of the Civil War. This button dates to the 1840's maybe 1830's

imageimage

#2. Riccar's 1884 general service button (Indian Wars). Referred to as a chicken or turkey neck eagle button.

#3. Phut's large decorative flat button.

#4. Phut's small decorative ball type button.

#5. Phut's pewter Greatful Dead bear on a surfboard.

#6. Phut's Spanish officer's shoe buckle of the American Revolutionary War period.

#7. Phut's silver coated lion. As quoted by phut:

<< <i>It's coated in silver, but really thick. The base metal is gone on the legs and tail yet it still holds together. >>

#8. Phut's Tiger Cubs neckerchief slide.

#9. CROCKofCOINS' "Medieval Torture Device" as he puts it , but is likely an eyelash curler by Revlon. image

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    This is surprising... image maybe due to visual appeal?
    In my book, the Dragoon button should be in a huge lead... due to how rare those are, and I think it (if I understand the history correctly) would have been worn by one of the more elite soldiers (a lot more interesting than a gen. svce. button).

If I had a choice to dig one of these, no hesitation, I'd like the Dragoon button.
    Just my 2 corroded zinc cents... image

• Options
    Personally I went with the Dragoon button, but I can see the appeal of your button with so much of the gilt left intact.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Maybe I take it personally, but I always vote for what I think is the harded to find relic or coin. Unless the condition is so bad it doesn't warrant. What turned me off to the contest a year or so ago was when I submitted a CW spur and it got beat by something from the 1900's. Ahh well.
  • Options
    Man this was a tough one it was a toss up between Crock's medieval torture device and IHM's Dragoon button??image

But IHM's Dragoon button won outimageHH,Tom
  • Options
    Dragoon button takes the lead... image
  • Options
    Congrats IHM! image
    imageimage