Home U.S. Coin Forum

eBay Second Chance Email?

I just received an email for a second chance offer on an item I was second place bidder on. I sent an email to the seller from the second chance email and another from the answer to a qustion I had asked the seller before bidding on the item. I replied to the answer to the question. What else if anything do I need to do to protect myself from scams? The second chance came through, or appeared to be through eBay. The seller does take personal checks, which is my preferred way to pay.
"Im not young enough to know everything."
Oscar Wilde

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

Comments

• Log into ebay and check my messages. If the 2nd chance offer is not there, you know the email is fake. I rec'd on of these just other day, you gotta be careful on ebay, lots of shady characters.

• << <i>Log into ebay and check my messages. If the 2nd chance offer is not there, you know the email is fake. I rec'd on of these just other day, you gotta be careful on ebay, lots of shady characters. >>

Thanks for the information the second chance email was there in my messages.
    "Im not young enough to know everything."
    Oscar Wilde

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Then it is a real offer from the seller.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    I know this much. When I offer a second chance offer to an underbidder for whatever reason, #1- I send the offer thru eBay's Second Chance Offer. (By the book)

#2- I then contact the seller thru eBay's my messages system so that he now has 2 assurances that it is legit. In that message I let him know that he should expect to see yet a third correspondence by private email from me in full knowledge that ebay is monitoring the offer, the eBay message and the fact that I am alerting him to the latter.

When I then send the offer by private email he, or she, is now fully aware of everything. He may then click on properties of said email and see the return path ( my email address etc) are in fact real and he now can contact me any and every way mentioned. Works every time without a hitch.

The best way to be sure that any offer you receive is authentic is to look for it in the my messages section of your my eBay page. image
  • jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    DeusExMachina,

Words cannot express how thankful I am for your post as I write this reply!!!! I received, what I believe to be a spoofed second chance email. Had I not investiaged further and found a few threads, namely yours, to refer to, I would have given some guy in the UK over $300 of my hard earned money....

Thank you again....thank you....thank you!!!!
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file