Home Stamps Forum
Options

1879 special printings of postage dues

How does one determine the special printing issues, J8-14, versus J1-7? I noticed PSE has a J8 graded and J11. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I can't answer you, but that leads to another question. If you send that question to PSE, will they help?

Jerry
  • Options
    Oh Boy.
    Getting PSE to answer any questions is like pulling teeth.
    I asked Randy shoemaker (via email)about the instructions on the PSE submission forms that said one could put more than one stamp on a line as long as it was the same Scott #. Iwas charged $13.00 for a separate registered shipping fee because I listed 2 stamps on a line(2 #719's) Due to my notifying him of this mistake on the instructions the submission forms were changed. He never did make sure I got a refund.
    I have at least 7 stamps(mostly early used Wash-Franklins) that I cannot request a new registry set for because when I try I am told they are"not valid" I have asked him and Camille to correct this for the last YEAR! She will not even return my emails and the last time Randy wrote(several months ago) he said he was "in town" and would "follow up" on this. Well guess what? The stamps are still "invalid" and I still can't request a set.
    I have called to ask about stamps I have submitted. Turn-around is supposed to be APROX 30 days. OK fine, but 8 weeks from date of receipt! The guy on the phone was like I think we sent those out ...oh we haven't graded those yet(this was 6 weeks after receipt)
    I guess if it's any easy question where no effort whatsoever is required you might be in luck. A good example of this is how out of date the website is. It's been a while since I checked but the online price guide has prices from 2004! Look how long the news columns stay on the home page. I think one is still up talking about the gilbert? auction from the middle of February. I think if PSE would keep the sight up to date coupled with good customer service i.e. an online Q&A column, there would be even more computer user collectors drawn to grading. There are more people looking for info online these days. I find the SMQ in print to be very interesting with lots of photos of high grade stamps,auction results and other informitive articles. Remember the online area with examples of stamps from different issues with their grades? It says that other photos will be added eventually, haven't seen any new ones since it's debut. It's still highly incomplete. There are still NO photos of the rotary issues i.e. 633 701. There seem to be hardly any photos between the late 500's and the late 600's.
    It's hard telling how these early special printings are identified. Impression perhaps and color?
    It's probably as complex as identifying the early Vermilion shades. I know the Scott says soft porous paper but that may be the same on the regular printings. It's interesting that the footnote says that J1 may have just been the regular issue sold as the special printing. Makes you wonder how finite the characteristics are that differentiates these issues. As it is not stated definitely that they are or are not special printings. So how easy is it to differentiate the other values as being special printings!?
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    I'm not even going to bother PSE with my question. I know there is a Q&A forum where we are allowed to post questions and Mr. Hall will answer some. I don't think I've ever seen a non-coin question there; although I don't frequent it much.

I was hoping a PSE employee or a large dealer would answer my question, but who knows if they visit here. My question was mainly directed to the J1 and J8. Big price differences with something that may not even exist; although some lucky person has a J8 graded by PSE.

I think many other stamp collectors frequent other forums.