Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What percentage of a coin would you need to own...

To alter the price of a coin, lets say a coin had a pop of 200 in MS66. 150 collectors have to own it for their registry set. This is a popular series so alot are owned by people not in the registry. What would it take to alter the trends on this coin, would twenty do it?

Have you ever altered the trends on a coin or have heard of someone who has? Is this fair....

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own 14% of the combined 2005 P&D buisness strikes Llincolns. Just think, if someone would send ina roll, they would own darn near 50%. But nobody cares even though the market is paying $75 for MS 67 and over $250 for MS 68. You would think my MS 64's would be worth at least $20 at those prices image

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    See number one etc., California Set I, II, III, IV. V in the Morgan Registry. Some sure is trying.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the 1980's I sent a letter to the Trends Editor (Keith Zaner at the time, who know does the CDN) and told him of the numerous errors in seated quarter pricing. To my surprise he updated a number of them substantially following my letter.

A complete overhaul of Liberty Seated pricing was done about 2 years ago. I don't know who was the driving force behind that.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no simple answer to the question since price is still more dependent on
    demand than supply. Also it would depend on the specific demand; some people
    will want the coin at nearly any price and some people would have a cut off that
    might be even lower than the current price. You could own a small percentage of
    some coins and have a major impact or a large percentage of another and have
    very little impact. In both cases this could vary over time.

Perhaps the easiest way to impact price is by accumulating a horde. While you're
    acquiring the coins you are contributing to the demand and if you can simply absorb
    many of the ones coming on the market you can have a disproportionate effect on
    the price especially as you raise your offers.
    Tempus fugit.