Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF

Does anyone know how this "NO NAME ON FRONT" variation was distributed? Was it in wax, cello, rack, etc? TIA.

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    No, but I can say it was not distributed in the same proportions as the Jeff King "no white on back " variation from that set
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    I've read comments on the web stating the card was only found in factory sets, or the cards were factory rejects that were later filtered into the market. I can tell you without a doubt both statements are untrue. In 1990 I found one of these cards in a pack I bought at the store. Unfortunately I do not remember what kind of pack it was. I believe it was a wax pack but may have been one of those cello type packs. but these cards definately were found in packs!
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Rather than start a new thread with the same name, I thought I'd bump an old one...

Can anyone point me to an article or thread that gives detailed info on how to spot a fake one of these? I can't seem to find any "good" info. Thanks!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Haha thanks.

Wow seriously? That one is pathetic. $65? What is wrong with people.

I'm going to have to take a Sharpie to a few of these. (kidding).
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me why the hell that auction got 12 bids and went for $64??
  • Options
    I'm sure it's on a thread here somewhere but I remember the fake had less shoe showing and there was a line around the box that shouldn't of been there.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>Can someone tell me why the hell that auction got 12 bids and went for $64?? >>

Can't answer that question, but I do find it strange that the winner hasn't won anything else since 2006.

Wonder what he's been doing for the past 2 years image
    (maybe tracking down the last seller that screwed him over!)

PoppaJ
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    His Ebay ID tells the whole story... wickedimagination

And of course, the 100% 0-loss-to-seller return policy: "i will issue a full refund(minus s/h)"
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    From the best of my understanding, the real NNOF Thomas cards were distributed in wax form, mainly in the Northeast. Midwest distribution and California distribution didn't seem to move any of them.

As for the real version...it is assumed that a scrap of card stock fell diagonally to obstruct part of the black printing process. If you look, you'll see and imaginary diagonal strip with no black ink, it continues through much of the left and bottom borders.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    gigfygigfy Posts: 35 ✭✭
    I got mine in a wax pack in Saratoga Springs NY.

I read this on eBay and wanted to know you guy's opinions on it. Is this true? The seller recently had his NNOF (Becket Mint 9) up for BIN of $1,600 with 4 offers.

<< <i>Q: That cards Beckett value is just $600.00 and that is for a gem mint 10, I see yours is a 9???? What gives, I agree that is a great card but why not keep it, or pass it on to your children instead of take advantage of people..... >>

<< <i>A: Please keep your comments to yourself, because it is clear you have no clue about card collecting. This a graded card, what you see in beckett price book is a non-graded card that it is worth $600.00, but if you care to do your research on this card the last one that sold in this graded a PSA 9 sold for $1,830.00 on ebay on 4/07. I hope you understand its a business for me, and my kids I already have there cards seperated. >>

He also had a picture that showed a chart of all of the ones graded.

Here are some pictures of my PSA 9. Sorry for the clouds. It was overcast today. What do you think I can get for it (if I was going to sell)?

Thanks,
    gigfy
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Gigfy, if you'll sell me that PSA 9 for $600, I'll do it right now...

That being said, the seller is correct. A graded mint NNOF sells for a good premium...it doesn't typically see $1800, but it does happen.

Oh, and please turn on your PMs.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>Can someone tell me why the hell that auction got 12 bids and went for $64?? >>

--->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    gigfygigfy Posts: 35 ✭✭
    PM's on.

Not sure what the etiquette is for current eBay auctions (some forums frown on that). A Beckett 8.5 recently sold for $505 and there are two current listings: a $800 BIN for a PSA 8 and an ungraded one with reserve. It looks legit with the partial Topps logo on the runners ankle.

And another one didn't make the reserve at $1,425 for a NNOF (Beckett 9), Leaf (Beckett 9), Topps with name (PSA 9), and a Bowman (PSA 9).

I was looking through my cards and I also have an ungraded 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas. I probably have 50-100 good cards (Jordan 2nd year, Montana rookie, autographed McGwire USA, Barry Bonds rookie, etc) Is it worth my while to have them all graded? My NNOF is the only one I have graded and I used PSA. Any opinions on which grading company to use?

gigfy
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I got a grand out of my BGS 8.5 about a year ago. Had a 10 subgrade on surface also.