Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What's your finest African colonial coin?

This one joined the trust tonight. Would love to see some other images of nice African colonial coins image

Photo courtesy: JamminJ

Comments

• Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, auction title seems to sat "MS65," feel free to return it.image

Hope you like it in hand!
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know if this is my finest coin. However, the only thing I had in my photo database was an auction photo, which I have reduced for posting here.
    This is an 8 reales piece from Mozambique, 1767, which Stacks graded at VF+. The coin is nicer than the photo indicates.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Awesome coins, Filam and Harasha!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm, auction title seems to sat "MS65," feel free to return it. Hope you like it in hand! >>

Yea, I noticed that. Sure I will like it. Thanks.

Harasha, is that Spanish or Portugese???

Was hoping to see a few more coins posted here. Guess they're not that popular. Sure a lot of interesting history there.

• Options
    Thay are that popular (at least the ones that I bid on are!), just haven't had a chance to get any pic together to show...
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    Here's one of many proofs. image

Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I like Thoseimage

Here is an impaired proof 1 cent on an defective planchet , in the right paw area,, Not great but the mintage is 100

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Here is one of my favorite inexpensive African coins:

Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Here is its big brother:

The florin in much scarcer, but it is weakly struck and doesn't have nearly as much luster as the shilling.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options

<< <i>

Harasha, is that Spanish or Portugese???

>>

Portuguese counterstamp to "avoid" that the coins left Mozambique's territory, the host coin on Harasha photo looks a Mexico 1756 8 Reales not a 1767 coin, actually all coins struck after 1765 with this countermark are considered fraudulent.

My finest African colonial coin..., that's tough...image

Jose
  • Options
    Wow, Jose, I never heard anything about these being fraudulent. Nothing would surprise me from Stack's.
    However, the host coin is 1756. The countermark is based on a decree of 1767.

The actual Stack's description: "8 Reales (1767). MR c/m'd on a Mexican Pillar 8 Reales, 1756 Mo MM. KM28. C/m and host toned About Extremely Fine."

DPOTD
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, Jose, I never heard anything about these being fraudulent. Nothing would surprise me from Stack's.
    However, the host coin is 1756. The countermark is based on a decree of 1767.

The actual Stack's description: "8 Reales (1767). MR c/m'd on a Mexican Pillar 8 Reales, 1756 Mo MM. KM28. C/m and host toned About Extremely Fine." >>

The coin is fine then, i meant that if the host coin is dated after 1765, the coin would be a fraud, if the host coin is 1756 it's all OK! image

The "MR" counterstamp decree is from 20th August 1765, there is no coin known of the 1767 decree (and the countermark would be a 4).

Jose
  • Options
    Nice coins all, love the copper as usual image
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Algeria - Alger 10 centimes token dated 1919 in brass - BU - KM TnA8. Technically a pattern.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Filam: <<Would love to see ... nice African colonial coins>>

When I recently researched the elephant & castle mark that is found on many English or British gold coins dating from the late 1600s and early 1700s, I was fascinated to learn about the semi-private company that brought gold from West Africa to the Royal Mint in England. Many regular issue coins, mostly gold though a few silver issues, were struck with a mark linking them to this specific company. Such English coins are thus related to English colonies in Africa without actually being colonial coins.

Rare 1681 silver Halfcrown of King Charles II, with mark of the Royal African Company

insightful10 {{at}} gmail.com

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    Since we are revisiting this thread, here are better photos of the coin I posted on 4/3/2006.

imageimage

DPOTD
  • Options
    Oops.

DPOTD
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins everyone!

Great to see an 8R from Africa!
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Zoins: <<Great to see an 8R from Africa! >>

I, too, am glad. I would like to see additional 'African' coins that are related.
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me