Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC grading 2006 Jeffersons as 5FS or 6FS

NGC is grading the new Jefferson Nickels according whether there 5 full steps or 6 full steps to Monticello. The number actually graded is very small so it's too early to tell whether this will be the pattern taken by PCGS or not.

Mint---------Var------MS64-----MS65--------MS66-------MS67------Total
2006-P-------------------------------1---------------------------------------1
2000-P------5FS--------------------1---------------------------------------1
2000-P------6FS--------1-----------2------------1-------------------------4
2006-D-------------------------------------------14------------2----------16
2006-D-----5FS----------------------1------------1-------------------------2
2006-D-----6FS--------2------------4------------20----------6-----------32

The previous observation that ALL the new nickels had full steps is clearly incorrect. About 1/3 of 2000-D did not receive any FS designation and about 2/3 received 6FS with a couple 5FS. The number of 2006-P is too small to
have any meaning.

Edit: Apparently not new variety designation. Appears in the Pop Reports back to 1938. But the number of 2006 Nickels without FS designation should mean that FS will continue to be a variety for PCGS.
image Scottish Fold Gold

Comments

• Options
    good chance any of those coins could/would grade a step lower at pcgs. from what i`ve seen the mints new handling of coins causes more damage. the rolls i`ve opened yielded ms64 at best. high grades will be tough. the P mint did a better job, denverimage
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    2006-D-----5FS----------------------1------------1-------------------------2

Hey that's the one I made image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    TrinkettsTrinketts Posts: 1,699
    Hmmmm I found just the opposite... I got about 150 rolls from the bank and were all D mint and they were much better than the P rolls I had... This is gonna be interesting. Waiting for 4 I sent off to PCGS 2 weeks ago..
    Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about. -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options

<< <i>2006-D-----5FS----------------------1------------1-------------------------2

Hey that's the one I made image >>

Hmmmm I found just the opposite... I got about 150 rolls from the bank and were all D mint and they were much better than the P rolls I had... This is gonna be interesting. Waiting for 4 I sent off to PCGS 2 weeks ago..

keep us posted on how they grade. good luck
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file