Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Well I saw this coin IN-HAND today at the Santa Clara show...

dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
...and it was without a doubt one of the most incredible coins that I have ever laid eyes on!image There is no doubt in my mind as to its' originality. The underlying luster on this gem is just simply amazing. I met Mikey (coingame2000)for the first time and spent a lot of time talking to him about toned coins, the coin market, and the hobby in general. He's a great guy to chat with and he's got an incredible inventory of Battle Creek Morgans some of which are just simply image coins that make your chest go image. The show was a blast and I'm hoping to go back tomorrow.image
image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I talked with Mike myself yesterday. We discussed this coin a bit, but he wouldn't show it to me!imageimageimage
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>...and it was without a doubt one of the most incredible coins that I have ever laid eyes on!image There is no doubt in my mind as to its' originality. The underlying luster on this gem is just simply amazing. I met Mikey (coingame2000)for the first time and spent a lot of time talking to him about toned coins, the coin market, and the hobby in general. He's a great guy to chat with and he's got an incredible inventory of Battle Creek Morgans some of which are just simply image coins that make your chest go image. The show was a blast and I'm hoping to go back tomorrow.image >>

Thanks for the kind words -- I had a blast talking toned coins with you, it's always a special treat to meet a collector with that shares the same passion for toners that I have.'

Mikey
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the kind words -- I had a blast talking toned coins with you, it's always a special treat to meet a collector with that shares the same passion for toners that I have.' >>

Why arent their any Lincoln toners?
  • Options

<< <i>I talked with Mike myself yesterday. We discussed this coin a bit, but he wouldn't show it to me!imageimageimage >>

Steve -- that's because you wouldn't cough up the $5 lot viewing fee, and I was quoting you my special discount price. Aw heck, you'd have probably just called it AT anyway imageimageimage...
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

• Options
    Mighty pricey for a common coin IMO!
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mighty pricey for a common coin IMO! >>

I would understand this opinion if it "were" a common coin... but oh my goodness it is the epitome of "UNCOMMON". Viewing that coin is like viewing a supermodel, you just can't take your eyes off of it, and it just gets prettier the longer you look. imageimageimage

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    common coin with uncommonly great color.....going by the pics on the site...sure looks like wonderful colors

• Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    dizzy ,that sure is nice!
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Mikey is a great guy and always a pleasure to talk with..........that 38-d is incredible but you gotta see that large mouth bass caught on his local lake !!image now.....that was impressive.........image
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Quite a few "Very Sweet" coins on that website!image
  • Options

<< <i>Aw heck, you'd have probably just called it AT anyway >>

Mike, if I did no doubt there would be a "story" of some sort? heh, I seen a few AT Bust halves IMO at the show to hold me over for a while.
    Equal opportunity too, one in each "flavor" holder.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Aw heck, you'd have probably just called it AT anyway >>

Mike, if I did no doubt there would be a "story" of some sort? heh, I seen a few AT Bust halves IMO at the show to hold me over for a while.
    Equal opportunity too, one in each "flavor" holder. >>

Well Steve, at least there's no bias image ...

Mikey

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    WOW! Dizz you gotta talent for finding them awesome toners!

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Groovy man....I just love that tye-dye buffalo!!image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

image Understatement in my opinion.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

image Understatement in my opinion. >>

Mighty pricey, yes indeed!!! I admitted in another thread on the same subject to probably being certifiably crazy for paying 7K for this little jewel. But what the heck, it's only money and you can't take it with you, right? I must take exception to part of your statement, however. Although this certainly is a common date -- it is NOT a COMMON coin by any stretch of the imagination (just show me a quantity of other 1938-D Buffalo Nickels that could even begin to hold a candle to this extraordinary specimen). After carefully examining this MONSTER in hand at the recent Santa Clara coin show, dizzyfox asked me why it wasn't in a MS68 holder, the very same question that has been asked of my by a number of other knowledgeable collectors and dealers who have seen this exquisite coin in person. Quite frankly, I wholeheartedly believe that it deserves to be in a MS68 holder but I haven't resubmitted it, YET!!!

Mikey image

• Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    You cant put a price on that kind of quality and color,and i HAVE seen the coin in hand!image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options

<< <i>You cant put a price on that kind of quality and color,and i HAVE seen the coin in hand!image >>

Some how he did though! haha
  • Options
    bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    This may be a stupid question but, what are the odds that toned coins will remain that colorful over time. Can or will they continue to change for the better or worse. image
    image Steam Power
  • Options
    Gorgeous buff, Absolutly gorgeous. quality like that one always requires someone to step up big time, and someone always does, then a few years later it seems like a bargain
    Michael
  • Options

<< <i>Some how he did though! haha >>

Ask the shake and bake guy to make more!
  • Options

<< <i>quality like that one always requires someone to step up big time, and someone always does, >>

Agreed, and I want to say something that really has nothing to do with Mike. Well in a way it does, but just understand I know Mike, have done business with him, see him at shows and happen to think he's a good egg.

That said, anyone ever notice it usually seems to be the dealers that are the ones "stepping up" for these type of coins? Could it be they know something us normal collectors that do indeed understand the toned market don't? Could it be they like the attention they get for "stepping up" for these? Could it be to get the momentum going and kinda saying..... "Look what I paid, you shouldn't be afraid if I'm a dealer and paid this kinda money." Think about it if you already haven't. Yeah, then there is the what, From another "Major" dealer 10K?20K? AA Bust half? Haha And, the Walker in "64" for over 5K.
    Naw, couldn't be for attention.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

The question I have is, how many toned coins were there before 2005 ???

I'm no expert but where were all this 'toned' coins for the past 100 years?

Kind seems like they came out of no where.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Some how he did though! haha >>

Ask the shake and bake guy to make more! >>

You haven't seen this coin in hand so you have absolutely no concrete basis upon which to formulate such a statement. Moreover, the extent of your expertise in this field (or lack thereof) has not been established, which begs to question the very credibility of your remark. At the very least it seems presumptuous on your part but I would encourage you to continue to contribute to this thread because it increases traffic to my website, which I sincerely appreciate. Thank you for your help and keep up the good work image ...

Mikey

• Options

<< <i>The question I have is, how many toned coins were there before 2005 ???

image >>

You can rest assured that they (toned coins) didn't just all of the sudden appear out of nowhere. Let's start with the recent Battle Creek Collection of toned dollars of which I was the leading buyer. The 1885, 1886 and 1887 dollars resided in their original mint sewn bags until opened by NGC in 2005 -- that's 118 to 120 years! I've been buying and selling this type of material for 33+ years so the appearance of toned coins on the market is not some sort of recent annomolay. I could cite other examples all day long and then some but there's a couple of nagging questions I'd like to ask you. How long have you been involved in the toned coin market? Do they even interest you?

Mikey

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>quality like that one always requires someone to step up big time, and someone always does, >>

Agreed, and I want to say something that really has nothing to do with Mike. Well in a way it does, but just understand I know Mike, have done business with him, see him at shows and happen to think he's a good egg.

That said, anyone ever notice it usually seems to be the dealers that are the ones "stepping up" for these type of coins? Could it be they know something us normal collectors that do indeed understand the toned market don't? Could it be they like the attention they get for "stepping up" for these? Could it be to get the momentum going and kinda saying..... "Look what I paid, you shouldn't be afraid if I'm a dealer and paid this kinda money." Think about it if you already haven't. Yeah, then there is the what, From another "Major" dealer 10K?20K? AA Bust half? Haha And, the Walker in "64" for over 5K.
    Naw, couldn't be for attention. >>

Yes, Steve and I know each other, have done business, see each other at shows and I think he's a good egg too! Having said that, I'd like to address Steve's thoughts. There are countless COLLECTORS willing to step up big time for the real MONSTERS -- among them Peter Schaffer, Harold Rothenberger, Franklin Dean (all past clients) along with the likes of Fountainheadgold, Bestclser1, Sunnywood, Wojpol and Skyman, just to name a few. Each of these individuals has demonstrated a willingness to step up to the plate for the right coin. Believe me, dealers wouldn't step up big time if there weren't collectors willing to pay more. I'll be the first to admit that I probably put back a few too many cool coins for myself (a no no when you're a dealer) but I'm not a museum curator and I need to sell coins in order to continue in business.

Mikey

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

image >>

Gee I don't know, I have been buying them for over 30 years...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Mike, I understand, but was it not you and another dealer who "stepped up" first on the battle creek Morgans? To me, this kinda set the "Momentum" I was referring to. Also, here is something else I noticed with the Battle creek Morgans.... Now as you know I once collected toned Morgans. I also know many of the main players in this arena wouldn't touch anything below 65, and more-so if they were reverse toned.

Now I am also aware these Battle creek Morgans have amazing colors, and amazing reverse toners. But I have also seen through the years plenty of 63-64 amazing Morgans and the big boys wouldn't touch them. And especially the reverse toners. Anyway, just added this for discussion. And besides, you like the attention, and the traffic on your web-site.image
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, I understand, but was it not you and another dealer who "stepped up" first on the battle creek Morgans? To me, this kinda set the "Momentum" I was referring to. Also, here is something else I noticed with the Battle creek Morgans.... Now as you know I once collected toned Morgans. I also know many of the main players in this arena wouldn't touch anything below 65, and more-so if they were reverse toned.

Now I am also aware these Battle creek Morgans have amazing colors, and amazing reverse toners. But I have also seen through the years plenty of 63-64 amazing Morgans and the big boys wouldn't touch them. And especially the reverse toners. Anyway, just added this for discussion. And besides, you like the attention, and the traffic on your web-site.image >>

Steve: Yes, myself and another dealer were the high bidders for the finest coins, but there were a number of serious collectors hot on our heels. Now to answer your second question. I was one of those MS65 or better, no reverse toner dealers -- that is until I saw the Battle Creek coins. The fact is the saturation of color combined with the brightness and flourescence of these exquisite coins have few peers in the marketplace. There are other amazing toned dollars to be sure -- and then there are the GODZILLA toned Battle Creek dollars, which are in a league of their own and set the bar higher. I haven't seen another group of such exquisitely toned dollars since the Continental Bank Hoard of the 1980's and who knows when (or if) the next hoard will show up. Truth be told, last year's "amazing" toned dollars aren't quite as amazing today in the eyes of many. The Battle Creek coins have no doubt established a new (and higher) benchmark among a large number of toned dollar enthusiasts. They changed my mind about reverse toners as well as those graded less than MS65 and I'm a hard-headed old dog...

Mikey

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

image >>

I stand correct.

They've always been here.

• Options

<< <i>

image >>

I stand correct.

They've always been here. >>

See, you learned something new and that's what it's all about. Ain't coin collecting grand?

Mikey image

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    cool coin -
  • Options
    In the opinion of a true collector...you can't put a price on a unique coin! That's a beauty!
    Joe
    CONECA #N-3446
  • Options

<< <i>In the opinion of a true collector...you can't put a price on a unique coin! That's a beauty! >>

Thanks for your comments. Although I've been a dealer for more than three decades, I'm still a collector as well. It was from that perspective that I purchased the PCGS MS67 1938-D Buffalo Nickel, otherwise I wouldn't have paid 7K for it.

Mikey image

• Options
    How does "Joe Shmoe" or rather "joecheck Shmoe" tell a true toner from a chemically induced toner? I want to purchase a toner (Cheap, Cheap, Cheap! Hope I don't get what I pay forimage) an am affraid of getting ripped. I know that some people will argue that all are AT but I don't agree.
    Joe
    CONECA #N-3446
  • Options

<< <i>How does "Joe Shmoe" or rather "joecheck Shmoe" tell a true toner from a chemically induced toner? I want to purchase a toner (Cheap, Cheap, Cheap! Hope I don't get what I pay forimage) an am affraid of getting ripped. I know that some people will argue that all are AT but I don't agree. >>

Although it's not a 100% ironclad guarantee of never buying an AT coin -- stick with those certified by PCGS and NGC. Second, it will probably cost you a little more but buy from a reputable dealer who specializes in this type of material and one with plenty of battlefield experience. Again, this is not a guarantee but it will stack the deck in your favor. If you want to be 100% sure the coin is naturally toned just buy one of the Battle Creek dollars -- NGC plucked them all right out of sealed original mint bags. I hope this helps...

Mikey image

• Options

<< <i>

image >>

Gee I don't know, I have been buying them for over 30 years... >>

THIRTY YEARS Lucy ??? You don't look a day older than TWENTY NINE to me!!!

Mikey image

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Mikey image >>

*coughbullcoughchit*image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Mikey image >>

*coughbullcoughchit*image >>

Anyone who races cars and loves rock and roll will always be 29 and thats a cool thing
    Michael
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    yaaa. how can that 22 yr old chick have been collecting toners for 30 yrs.!
  • Options
    I can remember my Great Uncle dipping out those annoying colors back in the sixties.

I told him I kind of liked them, but what did I know? I was just a young kid back then and he had been an established collector for over 50 years.

I'm sure "back in the day", a lot of strict conservative collectors removed an awful lot of electric rainbows that were ruining an otherwise excellent specimen.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    I'm beginning to feel like the proverbial red headed step child -- only forty one responses to this thread. Where's everyone who will help keep it going by screaming it's a blatant AT coin for sure???

Mikey image

• Options
    Mike, had you let me see it at Santa Clara, perhaps I could grant your request. I know, it was only around 1:00-2:00 on Thursday.
    Too early for you to set up!!!image
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, red headed step child? and just what is your problem with them. Although I do prefer to be known as strawberry blonde if you must know
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    If you like that nickel, I've got a really nice Peace dollar that you might be interested in.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>Ahh, red headed step child? and just what is your problem with them. Although I do prefer to be known as strawberry blonde if you must know >>

Jack: I love red headed step children (Laura and I had three of 'em for about a year) -- and if you wanna be referred to as a strawberry blonde you got it!!! image

Mikey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file