Home Metal Detecting
Options

Newbie gathering info:

My father has been in the hobby off and on for about 20 years but does not know the latest technology available.I am a complete novice only using my fathers old whites detector years ago.I am very interested in getting back into the hobby possibly with my daughter who's 12 .What type of detector do i want for myself and for my daughter and where would you recommend that i purchase it?Cost is not an concern for me.I live very close to Washingtons Crossing is PA.Lots of history there.Thinking it would loads of fun to get out with my daughter and maybe connect a little better.Thanks a lot
Fritzs from the currency side

Comments

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    http://www.kellycodetectors.com/indexmain.htm
    This site should give you some ideas. I'd go with light weight and adjustable shaft for your daughter.
    I'm still a rookie, so I'll let others chime in with a sales pitch for their favorite machine.
  • Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    Hey I've got a question...

On average, how long does it take to find something, like an old coin? All day to maybe find one. or are you pulling seated quarters out of the ground every 30 secs?

Thanks for the help,
    Zach
    Zach
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    It depends on the site selection. I searched the yard of an old house built in 1836 and in 2 hours found several small toys, a few lincolns and a copper Canadian Trade Token dated 1837.
    I have also searched a yard of a house next to a church that was built in the late 1700's and found nails. No coins, so it's location location location. I have several places I want to go this spring but it's looking like one day follows the next and I haven't done anything but think about it.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info!
    Zach
  • Options
    How long does it take to find an old coin?........

Forever..if you aren't hunting where old coins could have been lost. Research is as valuable in this hobby as a good metal detector. Use the library, old timers in your town, old newspapers, etc. On rainy days and cold days use that time to do your research..It will pay in the long run.