Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Santa Clara show report

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
Started out great, met one of our forum members - Cladiator. We sat and talked for a while, looked over coins and did a little business (I picked up a nice 1832 half dime in AU50 PCGS).
Then I unfortunately pointed him in the wrong direction to Dick Osburn's table. Sorry!

It was busy, but not too busy, there was one table that I was about 2 rows out, waiting to get to the display to look at some material. I ended up picking up a couple large cents (1805 - AU53 raw and 1812 - VF30 PCGS). These made awsome upgrades to my type albums.

At another table that was completely empty of customers, I picked up a 1795 flowing hair dollar in F15 PCGS, this filled a long standing hole in my type album.

As I wondered about, I noticed that there are just way too many tables with Morgan dollars and little or nothing else. It's almost like paperclip salesmen, who gives a crap who's paperclips you buy, they just hold paper together, I feel about the same way when I look at a table with 500 or 1000 Morgan dollars - there's nothing special, just silver dollars.

I overheard some dealers talking about the price of gold and silver and how they thought it would make business really hot, but it just didn't materialize. I guess that means things weren't all that great for the guys behind the tables.

I also ended up picking up a 1819 large 9 quarter in vf20 raw. This was more of a "just wanted it" rather than an "I needed it" coin.

It seemed like it wasn't that difficult getting around the floor, I've been there many times before when I was literally pushing people out of my way, it wasn't that way today (nor yesterday).

One thing that amazes me, perhaps some dealers just don't care or they have enough money or ... I don't really know, but the first dealer I stopped at yesterday, I was looking at his display, he asked me what I was interested in. My reply was early US type. He asked what grade. I replied XF to AU. He replied good luck and picked up a paper and started to read. Just didn't even want to attempt to go any further. Oh well, his loss.

I've only had this happen once before, but it's irritating. I'll not stop at his table in the future.

The number of dealers selling the kind of stuff I like seemed like it was about one or two per row, but the number of dealers selling the kind of stuff I like that wasn't all scrubbed clean was more like about 2 or 3 to the entire show. I do find it amazing how much crap there is out there.

I noticed something I hadn't seen before at coin shows. There were people with dogs wandering around as well as at least one dealer with dogs. I like dogs, but I'm not sure I understand bringing them to coin shows.

Sorry if I rambled on too much.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the report!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    some nice purchases Tom.

Post some pictures please!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta wait til the kids vacate the computer that has the scanner. I'll try to get them up by tomorrow.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The amount of garbage overhanging the market

is somewhat troubling to me. Using the bathtub

analogy, the garbage is the first things to fall,faster

and further then the good stuff. On the recovery, the

garbage is the last to recover and to a lesser extent

then the good stuff. When I say garbage, I am not

refering to circulated specimens, but rather to the

dipped out, washed up gouged, rim dinged and badely discolored

merchandise that dealers want full gray sheet ask plus on.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was there Thursday, thought about doing a report.... but didn't know if it should be "happy talk" or if I should talk about when the alarm clock went off, what I had for breakfast, the ride there, or whether I had sex the night before, or in the morning. So I decided not to do a report!

I did need to take the usual shower when I got home though! heh
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    STMAN, you are getting very negativeimage
    Michael
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>STMAN, you are getting very negativeimage >>

What part was negative? I didn't even do a report!image I just can't supply what folks want to hear.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    I find it interesting that people are complaining that Morgans were everywhere. In my humble opinion, even though there were a lot of Morgan heavy tables at the show, there were only three Morgan dealers' tables that I wanted to purchase coins from. So, for what I was looking for, the Morgan pickings were slim.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report.
    All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file