Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The look I like - 1923 Standing Quarter

TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just got this in the mail today. A good way to break my 2 month non-purchasing streak!

Care to grade it?
FH or Not FH?
AT or NT?
Original or Dipped/Retoned?

imageimage
Easily distracted Type Collector

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    image I like the look also !! Congrats !
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    KoinlinkKoinlink Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin!! I'd say MS64, no FH.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! image

edited to add lightly dipped and retoned, not FH
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65+ Super strike- nice shield,breast plate and eagle features,but not full head at least from the pix provided. Very nice !!image
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just got this in the mail today. A good way to break my 2 month non-purchasing streak!

Care to grade it?
    FH or Not FH?
    AT or NT?
    Original or Dipped/Retoned? >>

For the interested parties:

- Grade: NGC MS-63 (They could call it 64 without any complaint from me...but then I probably wouldn't have paid for it). image
    - NOT FH...that was an easy one.
    - NT from my guess....couldn't imagine anyone claiming AT, but who knows.
    - Can't claim to be an expert on originality, so I won't offer a guess. Interested in any further opinions.

I'm happy with her!
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    I agree with once quick-dipped and naturally retoned. I love that look as well. Although I know many despise dipped coins, when they retone nicely around the edges and retain lots of lustre, I think they are very attractive. Not FH. My grade guess: Based on the pics I am going to go out on a limb and say MS65.

-Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin.....

Grade not sure..... Not a series I have studied much at all.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    Nice look-- plenty of luster, nice shield. I don't see why it's not a 64, but then I don't know the series well. image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    It is a pretty nice looking coin. I would say MS 65, but I am not familiar with any classic coinage types.
    Please download this app to help fight cancer at 0 cost. At no extra cost to you purchases from Amazon and other participating retailers will benefit research!

http://my.affinity.is/cancer-research?referral_code=MjI4Nzgz
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Nice looking coin, 63 to 64 not FH.
  • Options
    Looks MS65...not FH...nice coin, and I like the toning...good rivet detail as well as vertical and horizontal lines on shield...scr
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the rim tone on that coin. Nice!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no full head... MS64 MINIMUM and was it dipped and retoned? I would need to see the coin, tilt it and look carefully at the lustre and the toned areas...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks MS65...not FH...nice coin, and I like the toning...good rivet detail as well as vertical and horizontal lines on shield...scr >>

Exactly. The reverse should look fine in hand since the dullness isn't on only the high spots.

The coin looks great.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. This is a beauty. Very natural color and clean fields.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    slickpickslickpick Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Neat die clash. (E to the right of Liberty's right leg, and eagle's beak next to the shield.)
    "Truth is a torch but a tremendous one. That is why we hurry past it, shielding our eyes, indeed, for fear of getting burned." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file