Home U.S. Coin Forum

1934D DDoubled DDie Quarter. Could it be?

This is a lousy looking worn and once abrasively cleaned (hairlines) 1934D Quarter that came out of the album I picked up in Baltimore. I was prepping some pics for ebay sales and noticed in the motto the little tell-tale stepping that usually occurs on Doubled Die coins. I was unable to find a photo of a cataloged 34D DDO.

Anybody have a referrence with pics. Expert opinions? Possible value?

Close up of motto. It's pretty worn but the far left is where I am seeing doubling. There are no signs of doubling elsewhere when looked at with a 10x loupe.:

For the record, here's the whole coin:
-Bob
collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set

Comments

• Looks to be 1934-D CONECA 1-O-I (DDO-001) listed in "The Washington Quarter Dollar Book -- An Attribution and Pricing Guide" by James Wiles. The lowest grade the book states is XF40 -- $275 with a URS-4 rarity rating.
  • xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Wow. I guess it's a pretty cool find. I'll keep it.

I just got to my next quarter and it appears to be a possible variety also.

This is the mint mark on the 1935 D. Possible RPM?

I hope there's more to come image.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
  • This is the mint mark on the 1935 D. Possible RPM?

Bob -- on this one, I would have to say it's not an RPM. The Washington quarters are notorious for mechanical doubling on the mint marks and that is what it appears to me from your pic.

That DDO is cool though. Have fun....
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is the mint mark on the 1935 D. Possible RPM?

Bob -- on this one, I would have to say it's not an RPM. The Washington quarters are notorious for mechanical doubling on the mint marks and that is what it appears to me from your pic.

That DDO is cool though. Have fun.... >>

Billy is---of course right. But that DDO is a really nice findimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Thanks so much for the feedback guys.

Getting this kind of instant expert help is what makes these forums great!
    -Bob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file