Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

TOREX NEWP #1

In a previous thread I stated that I now have both of the 1872-H Newfoundland cents that ICCS has graded MS-66 Red. Here is the better of the two. The picture was taken through the plastic ICCS holder. The ONLY mark on this coin is the tiny discoloration under Vicky's ear. The rest are on the holder.

The auction cataloguer stated that this coin is "quite likely the finest survivor." I believe it, in that I have seen both ICCS coins and three of the PCGS coins in 66 Red (PCGS has 8 total in 66 Red). None come close to this coin. Most of these high grade coins came from the Heaton Hoard find of a decade or two ago.

This may well be the finest surviving example of all of the Newfoundland Victoria cents of any date, since ICCS has no other MS-66 Victoria cents and PCGS has no other dates with MS-66 Red Victoria cents. In any case, it is one beautiful coin and I am proud to be its caretaker for next couple of decades. image

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

Comments

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Nahh, too washed out. Here ya go... image

(gorgeous coin, btw)

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Hubba hubba!
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Wow! A very nice looking (and exceedingly rare) NF.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Real nice!

Is your other MS66 from the Heaton hoard too? If not then you may have an example that was actually in Newfoundland at the time as well as one that was in England. Makes the coins little bit different.
  • Options
    nice coin. I assume you have been following the NFLD debate going on over at the CCRS?
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Colin,

I got in a discussion in Toronto with a couple of dealers and knowledgeable collectors of Newfoundland coins. A couple of them had a theory that this coin, presumably because of color, is not a horde coin. The speculation is that this coin may have, at one time, been the finest known by several grades until the hoard came to light. We will never know.

Rob
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Doc,

I started the Newfound thread (Stokrooky). I am somewhat embarrassed by how it turned out and would not have started it if I would have known the outcome.

Rob

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    excellent example...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    That is sure a great example.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

<< <i>Doc,

I started the Newfound thread (Stokrooky). I am somewhat embarrassed by how it turned out and would not have started it if I would have known the outcome.

Rob >>

yeah, it looks like it got out of hand for sure. image
  • Options
    What a beauty! Nice buy. image
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    That is cool, I have heared of collector's making this destinction for the 1871 PEI 1 cent issue also.