Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question about a coin purchase

I would like to know if everyone would expect if you purchased a coin in one of the older green holder PCGS slabs, if the top right corner was chipped/crushed would you expect for the dealer to refund your money? Also, would you expect that the dealer would put this in their description of the coin?

Thanks, Steve

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would expect many would advise to buy the coin, not the holder. Evaluate the coin for what it is, not what it is in.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dealer should refund your money. Having a single coin reslabbed is an expensive process. He should have described the problem.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    It definately should have been in the description. It was dishonest to "overlook" damage like that to the holder. The guy should refund your money, but I wouldn't really expect as much from a guy who neglected to mention it in the first place.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I assume the dealer doesn't have any return policy then and all his coins are sold as-is?

I would note a chip/crack in the holder in the description.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    This sort of question / concern is common for people newer to collecting (or at least newer to collecting slabs).

I don't believe a chipped corner matters at all. I would not expect a refund becuase of it. Nor would I expect a dealer to mention it in a description.

PCGS will reholder any coin for $5, but I would guess that in this case most experienced collectors and dealers would prefer to keep it in a green holder (even a chipped one) for its perceived greater market value.

• ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually there was no intent to defraud the buyer....

It just happens to be one of my coins that I sold Steven....

I am not sure if it chipped in shipping or we just missed it....

We already told Steven to ship it back for a refund because he was unhappy with some red spots on reverse, I would never stick someone with a coin that they order off our website.......all in all I dont remember the coin that well but here is a photo of it attached...

Guess that is the difference of buying a coin from a real dealer vs ebay etc...
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I would mention any holder cracks prior to sale, but I don't think it's something that requires an automatic refund.....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    If you are happy with the coin, and do not require the old green holder, suggest the seller pay for the reholder. This happened to me once where the entire hologram was missing from the old style NGC holder. I told the seller the coin was not as saleable and he gave me what I asked, $20 to cover shipping plus the $5 NGC reholder fee.

If you don't want the coin, I believe this broken holder is grounds for a return, even if there is a no return policy. Better sellers would refund you shipping and handling charges both ways because the cracked holder should have been mentioned in the lot description.

I speak from a collector's position. You may get completely different opinions from dealers on this forum, as is often the case.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>if the top right corner was chipped/crushed would you expect for the dealer to refund your money? >>

No, since it wouldn't bother me. I could see where it might bother some, but as long as I like the coin I don't really care if the holder is chipped.

Russ, NCNE
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Unless the holder was compromised I don't know if I would care.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file