Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1970-s Small vs. Large Date Lincoln how can you tell?

I found a site which tells you how you can tell them apart but the ones I have look all the same...small date. The 7 is perfectly level with the other numbers. But the Liberty appears neither weak or strong.

Other than the diagnostics given at the website is there another way to tell?

1970-s Small Date Large Date

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can look for the crease between the two parts of the "7" but the easiest
    way for me is the bottom of the loop of the "9". If it is nearly horizontal then
    it's a small date and if it points down at the mint mark it's the large date.

The height of the numerals is difficult to spot and the strenght of LIBERTY varies
    too much from coin to coin. You'll miss a lot of small dates (including some of the
    best gems) if you just look for a weak ERTY.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Take a business card and place it over the date. Line the edge up with the top of the 7 so you are covering up the date. If you see the top of the 9 and the 0 poke out its a large date. Try it with the picture in the redbook.
    -CamTron
  • Options

<< <i>Take a business card and place it over the date. Line the edge up with the top of the 7 so you are covering up the date. If you see the top of the 9 and the 0 poke out its a large date. Try it with the picture in the redbook. >>

There are few people who can consistently tell them apart this way. If every coin
    were struck the same from good dies it would probably work for everyone. This is
    the toughest way for me and I made a lot of errors using it. Mostly the errors were
    calling the large date a small date. Using the weak liberty results in calling a lot of the
    small dates, large dates.

If it works for you though, then use it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I agree with Cladking. For me it's the differences in the numeral "9" that I use.
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    "You can look for the crease between the two parts of the "7" but the easiest
    way for me is the bottom of the loop of the "9". If it is nearly horizontal then
    it's a large date and if it points down at the mint mark it's the small date."

Cladking,

I think you got this backwards. I took a close look at mine and the small date appears to be the one almost horizontal on the inner end of the loop on the 9.

The large date points down toward the mintmark.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options

<< <i>"You can look for the crease between the two parts of the "7" but the easiest
    it's a large date and if it points down at the mint mark it's the small date."

Cladking,

I think you got this backwards. I took a close look at mine and the small date appears to be the one almost horizontal on the inner end of the loop on the 9.

The large date points down toward the mintmark. >>

D'oh. Thanks. You're right of course. I'll edit it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    Hi tarmac, here's a link that might help..........Rick

Link a Dink
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    By far the easiest way to tell is to look at the print below the hole it occupies in the album. imageimage

-Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options

<< <i>By far the easiest way to tell is to look at the print below the hole it occupies in the album. imageimage

image >>

That's a very nice and very typical small date. Any of the methods will work for it.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file