Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay scammer selling coins etc. is charged

Lehigh Valley woman charged in eBay scam

Federal officials say a woman who has lived in Lehigh and Northampton counties allegedly ran an eBay scam for two years, changing her sceen name when the auction site suspended her for suspected fraud.

In a federal filing released this week, the U.S Attorney for Pennsylvania charges Julie C. Miller with using aliases and post office boxes to bilk people out of $51,000 for rare coins, designer handbags, jewelry and sports tickets they say she never delivered.

According to court records, from November 2003 to January 2005, Miller created screen names on eBay to offer rare and expensive merchandise. When the auction service suspected fraud and froze an account, she created new ones, court records show.

When the items never arrived, Miller gave the buyers fake tracking IDs, told them the items had already shipped or promised refunds that never arrived.

If convicted, Miller faces up to 60 years in prison, three years probation and a $750,000 fine.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    But Savannah's not in the Lehigh Valley...
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But Savannah's not in the Lehigh Valley... >>

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the OP

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    I assume this isn't the Savannah scammer ?
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    And it took them two freakin years to charge her?!?? Jeez!! -Dan
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    By the way that Savannah chick got me back a year or so ago. I bought a couple of auctions from her and received everything except for the one auction that I ripped. She conveniently forgot to add it to the package she sent me and offered my money back.image Anyone want to buy a rare california token or how about a chinese silver ingot coin. image Just kidding,. I would not do that to my worst enemy. Just chalk it up to experience and shame on her. That beach!! -Dan
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kudos to the state of Pennsylvania for having the guts to prosecute her. When I lived in Maryland, the attorney general's office refused to prosecute people like this. There was this scammer who lived in the Baltimore area who ripped a few early copper collectors out of several thousand dollars on ebay using the name "ligtning22" (misspelled as shown). He was posting convincing pictures of coins he did not own, and had 20+ positive feedbacks (100%), making everything look legitimate. When the auction closed, he'd ask for immediate payment by Paypal or Western Union only. I was almost victimized for $760 on a 1796 Liberty Cap cent, but I did not send payment due to the suspicious request for electronic funds only, TYPED IN ALL CAPS, plus a few emails from other ebayers... including one person who actually owned the coin on which I was bidding! The scammer then ripped off about 5 other people on 1793-1799 dated early coppers that he did not own, and they did send money with Paypal, never to be seen again. The one guy contacted the MD attorney general's office and they told him to get lost because the crook didn't have any money, so there was no way to recover the funds. That is just stupid because jail time is a good alternative for deadbeat scammers. Having been a resident of MD for 3 years, it didn't surprise me to see their ineffective government mishandle a situation like this. The scammer then re-appeared 2 more times and ripped people off for thousands of dollars before disappearing. Sad but true.
  • Options

<< <i>But Savannah's not in the Lehigh Valley... >>

I was hoping it was going to be the Marla Gang.

Jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file