Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

20,000 regular issue dimes dated 2008

Suppose Congress stated that the Roosevelt Dime was going to be changed to a Jimmy Carter dime. The new dime would begin production with a Mint date of 2008. BUT, prior to the change, the Mint also plans to do a final 'special run' of 20,000 Roosevelts with the 2008 date. They would be regular issue dimes made for circulation, NOT proofs.

They would not have any special mint packaging or anything denoting they were the only Roosevelt dimes with a 2008 mint date.

The only way to purchase one would be through the Mint at the price of.....let's say $4.95 plus shipping.

Question: What would the dime's value be in 6 months? Value in 12 months? 2 years? What would YOU pay for a modern coin with 20,000 population, the only difference from the Billions already made being the 2008 mint date?

How does this scenario compare to the extra leaf wisconsins? Just wondering.

Comments

• Options
    Considering his love for bashing the USA while overseas, I think the dime would be true "modern crap"
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    I don't think it's possible because the mintage is much to low to meet any kind of regular sales standards.....JMO...............image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

But Jimmy's still alive and kicking
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Suppose Congress stated that the Roosevelt Dime was going to be changed to a Jimmy Carter dime. The new dime would begin production with a Mint date of 2008. BUT, prior to the change, the Mint also plans to do a final 'special run' of 20,000 Roosevelts with the 2008 date. They would be regular issue dimes made for circulation, NOT proofs.

They would not have any special mint packaging or anything denoting they were the only Roosevelt dimes with a 2008 mint date.

The only way to purchase one would be through the Mint at the price of.....let's say $4.95 plus shipping.

Question: What would the dime's value be in 6 months? Value in 12 months? 2 years? What would YOU pay for a modern coin with 20,000 population, the only difference from the Billions already made being the 2008 mint date?

How does this scenario compare to the extra leaf wisconsins? Just wondering. >>

I think it would be worth MUCH more than the extra leaf Wisconsins. I also, however, don't believe that the extra leaf Wisconsins should be worth any premium at all. Nor should any other die state variety. (IMHO, of course)
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    Wait........forget the Carter image on the dime......that's not the point.
  • Options
    Ronald Reagan's my first choice.

Ken

My first post...updated with pics

I collect mostly moderns and I'm currently working on a US type set.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    1st of all, it would never happen because the Mint determines its mintages for products based on making them fairly available to everyone who wants them. Of course they sometimes miss thier mark, and othertimes products quickly become more popular than they were when they were issued.

But lets say it did happen. Prices would go high very quickly, not because 20,000 is rare by any measure, but because of the 'gotta have it' mindsight that would set in among all those who couldn't get through on the phones or on web set during the 2-minute window when the coin was in stock.

The Jackie Robinson $5 UNC has a mintage of about 5K pieces, and in MS67 it is substantially cheeper than the prices MS67 WI Extra Leaf's have been bringing.
  • Options
    Wait again.........this is all hypothetical. Forget the president. Forget the 2 minute window of ordering from the Mint. Don't include any commeratives or medals made by the Mint, such as the Robinson.

Just regular issue, 'legal tender' coinage with an issue of 20,000. Modern date is the point. Low mintage is the other. That's it. Sorry about all the other adjectives which clouded the question.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file