Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help me out! Charged a 10.00 cash advance fee on my last Paypal purchase

I was hoping someone on the board could help since no one at the Credit card company could.

I sent $55 for some cards, it wasn't an auction win, I just sent $55 in Quasi-Cash to him paid by Credit card.

On my credit card statement, it has a 10.00 cash advance fee on it from this transaction.

Anyone know why this is on there? What did I do wrong?
Joel C

Comments

• Options
    I am starting to believe that all paypal charges on credit cards show up as cash advances now. I had the same thing happen with my last three paypal payments paid via credit card. One was paid as quasi cash and two were paid as auction items. The $10.00 must be the fee your credit card charges for cash advances...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    joelwalterjoelwalter Posts: 148 ✭✭
    When I talked to the credit card company, they said contact the seller and when I contacted the seller, he said get a hold of the Credit card company.

I'd guess it has something to do with the Quasi-cash thing that I rarely use. I make alot of Paypal transactions so I'm just hoping I don't see 200-300 in fees from cash advances on my next statement.
    Joel C
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    That would put a damper on using paypal.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Don't use Quasi-Cash. Everything else is free to the buyer (see below). I hope this helps.
    Jason

Payment Types from PayPal website:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    eBay Items: A payment for the purchase of eBay items. Free!
    Auction Goods (non-eBay): An online auction purchase (not including eBay items). Free!
    Goods (other): A purchase of goods in a non-auction context. Free!
    Service: A payment for the performance of a service. Free!
    Quasi-Cash: The transmission of money not involving an underlying service or good. The bank that issued your credit card may treat this 'Quasi-Cash' transaction as a cash advance and charge you cash advance fees. PayPal has no control over these fees. If you select 'Quasi-Cash' you may want to use a payment method other than Credit Card (Instant Transfer or eCheck) to avoid potential fees.
  • Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    yeah, it's basically treated the same as going to the atm and withdrawing money using your credit card....to be honest, i've never understood why on earth anybody ever does that.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Yes, never use Quasi-Cash. Use Goods (other).
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    you can not use quasi cash and a credit card. quasi cash should only be used from a bank account or funds if discussed with the seller. I request it all the time and it works for both the buyer and seller. if you ahve a personal account and you receive quasi cash from a funded source , it will not go against your 500 limit. I have received 5k in a month with no paypal fees using this method with repeat buyers. I save a little and the buyer saves a little as I usually pay the shipping when I do this.