Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dishonest in my heart - $3.95 shipping charge

Added as a note to the Paypal payment notification I received...

--
My error in not looking at your shipping charge first. We both know you are padding to make more money, but on this one
I am stuck. We buy and sell and know it does not cost $3.95 to send one coin. You may have 99.6% feedback but
in your heart you know you are dishonest.

--

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    link to listing?
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Did you tell them that you are from Taxas and we all know... Everything is bigger in Texas!!! Even shipping charges!!! For slabs I charge $3 for shipping, insurance is extra! If the $3.95 includes insurance tell them. Otherwise tell them to learn how to read!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    By the time you get an envelope, get some stamps, drive to the post office, $4 is a good price. Screw him.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another cheapskate trying to renegotiate terms of a binding contract after placing a winning bid. Same stuff, different day on ebay.
  • Options
    << I am stuck. We buy and sell and know it does not cost $3.95 to send one coin.>>

How was he shipping the coin? regular mail?
    if he is sending it priority, then 3.95 is not out of line, especially with ins and some type of confirmation.

Who in todays sleazy world wants to take a chance of the coin NOT making it to it's destinantion with regular mail and no back up in case?

now if the shipping was at 9.95, then yes it is padding the tab a bit to much.

would you ship a $75.00 coin for common postage?
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>link to listing? >>

I don't want to reveal the buyer's identity, but this auction has the same boilerplate...

Link
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    Anyone that has full access to the terms of the deal laid in front of them BEFORE bidding has the ability to adjust their bidding accordingly in order to prevent feeling things were 'padded' to make more money. The only complaint I would see was if it said "free shipping" in the ad, then had the $3.95 announced AFTER the close of the auction.
  • Options
    does that 3.95 include insurance?
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell him the error is actually on your part and that you forgot that Priority Mail is now $4.05 and to please send the additional 10¢ postage.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    I pretty much charge $4.50 for shipping which includes tracking and insurance + $1.00 for every other slab purchased.
    The tracking and insurance are mandatory, I do not give a choice. The padded mailers that I use alone are .87 cents each.
    You are not out of line.
    There are items I will not bid on if it does not show shipping cost, or if it is $9.00, like some do, but you know that up
    front so do not bid.
    It is hard to even make money on Ebay anymore with the costs and no one willing to pay anywhere near greysheet.
  • Options

<< <i>Just another cheapskate trying to renegotiate terms of a binding contract after placing a winning bid. Same stuff, different day on ebay. >>

Once somebody complained that he wanted a 43¢ refund, because that was the difference between what I
    charged and the postage on the envelope. I wrote back that I didn't charge him 50¢ for the padded envelope,
    so he owed me 7¢. Never heard back from him.
  • Options

<< <i>does that 3.95 include insurance? >>

New padded envelope, first class postage, insurance, delivery confirmation...leaves about 70 cents for
    my time and gasoline.
  • Options
    your 3.95 is more than fair then. Reason I asked, I didn't see it clearly spelled out in your listing (which you might do and simplify it a bit).

Of course, it could be because it is early and I am still tired from working outside yesterday all day.

• Options

<< <i>Tell him the error is actually on your part and that you forgot that Priority Mail is now $4.05 and to please send the additional 10¢ postage. >>

Hahahaha!!!!

• Options
    OffMetalOffMetal Posts: 1,684
    Let's break this down:

Bubble Envelope- .50
    Shipping a slabbed frankie- .87
    Insurance- 1.35
    Gas (assuming 3 mi. from your house @.10/mi.)- .30
    Tpae? Marker? Paper? Toner?- .10

Comes up to $3.12

I'm sure there are other things I haven't thought about yet image
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    Offmetal...lets not forget the waiting in line at the Post Office...not sure where you live, but where I am, its ALWAYS a nightmare and ALWAYS a line...full of people that need to be taken by the hand and pretty much need the postal employees to fill out the forms for them....its awful in my area...
  • Options
    OffMetalOffMetal Posts: 1,684
    Yes, the lines are a nightmare. I have to normally wait for 15 minutes, here in AZ image
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    now you guys trying to justify shipping charges by claiming your waits in lines, gas, etc......are nuts and will garner no sympathy from me.

that's part of doing business on ebay unless you want to wait for someone to come knocking on your door on a whim looking for whatever it is you might have considered selling on ebay.

Frankcoins' shipping charges are not excessive. If they did not include insurance and I was perusing his listings, I would move on because I would consider 3.95 excessive for no insurance.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Once somebody complained that he wanted a 43¢ refund, because that was the difference between what I
    charged and the postage on the envelope. I wrote back that I didn't charge him 50¢ for the padded envelope,
    so he owed me 7¢. Never heard back from him. >>

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    If they've never sold on eBay, they don't understand. Plus, they don't understand business in general.

When he goes to a store does he not think he's paying for the businesses rent, electricity, salary's, profits, storage, etc.

Ignore him (do not respond to the email) , just pretend you didn't get it, and then put him on your 'do not bid list.' Who needs the hassle?
  • Options
    This is clearly someone with too much free time. Ignore it and move on. What this guy doesn't realize is to made a profit via shipping costs you'd have to have sales volume the size of Wal-Mart.

Better yet, send him 50 pennies in the mail.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    "Tell him the error is actually on your part and that you forgot that Priority Mail is now $4.05 and to please send the additional 10¢ postage."

Yes. image That'll really p*s* him off. image
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    That is a reasonable price. I usually charge a $5.00 flat fee for shipping and insurance. Far too often I go to the post office to send and item to an auction winner and the postage ends up being more than I charged.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    Toward the bottom of the auction under "Seller's Payment Instructions" the auction states that Insurance is always required and included in the shipping charges.

Mercury
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭
    Shipping (postage) and HANDLING and in this case, insurance.

$3.95 including insurance is reasonable especially since it was clearly stated in the auction.

The buyer is wrong. But again, I don't care what you charge for S&H as long as it is clearly stated in the auction and I get to decide whether or not I will bid on your auction taking into account your S&H charges.

Joe.

Edit: To correct context.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The auction clearly states:

Shipping, payment details and return policy
    US $3.95 Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service United States only
    US $7.95 Standard Int'l Flat Rate Shipping N. and S. America, Europe, Asia, Australia

And even offers to combine shipping charges.

If you charged more than $5, I'd call it padding and would have adjusted my bid accordingly or simply not bid. But this was fair. Expected, understood, reasonable, clearly stated. Normal.

People like this just try to ruin your day. Don't let them.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you broke his coin budget for the year.image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, the lines are a nightmare. I have to normally wait for 15 minutes >>

I hit the post office before they open each morning, so I'm usually the first one in line. The poor schmucks behind me hate me, particularly on Mondays. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest sending a copy of the receipts for your shipping supplies, packaging time, and mileage to and from the post office. Shipping is not cheap and I personally think your shipping is very reasonable and would not object to it all. This buyer is just out of line and was probably just having a bad day. Let it roll off your back but do not post feed back until you see what this buyer has posted. No point in taking a neg because the buyer is suffering from some type of remorse.

After all, it is an auction site not a "give away" site.....................
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Offmetal...lets not forget the waiting in line at the Post Office...not sure where you live, but where I am, its ALWAYS a nightmare and ALWAYS a line...full of people that need to be taken by the hand and pretty much need the postal employees to fill out the forms for them....its awful in my area... >>

Oh yeah, lets not forget paypals cut as well. I know your not supposed to account for Paypal fees but they get their percentages on the total value of the package which includes shipping/handling, postage and insurance.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I charge $3.95 on my auctions as well (unless the items is bulky or heavy). If anybody byches about the shipping fees they are on my blocked list, simple as that.
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294

Have some cheese with your whine image

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>does that 3.95 include insurance? >>

New padded envelope, first class postage, insurance, delivery confirmation...leaves about 70 cents for
    my time and gasoline. >>

You do that 2 million more times and you can retire in the Bahamas! image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    I don't know why so many eBay buyers think that the S/H costs is supposed to be actual cost of postage. I have never thought that. I always look at the s/h cost and determine my max bid with those costs included. For low priced items (under $10), listing fees + final value fees + Paypal fees can exceed 25%. I'll bet many ebay buyers don't know this. It is perfectly reasonable to try to recoup some of these costs in the handling part of the s/h costs. What should happen is that the same items with higher s/h costs should sell for less -- and even so the benefit is that the buyer saves a bit on the final value fees. But often, this is not the case. An item with 'Free s/h' can sell for the same amount as an item with clearly stated s/h of $7.95. Yet, so many buyers blame the seller when they pay too much for an item.

I had someone tell me I was in violation of eBay rules when I was charging $3.00 to ship a proof set that he KNEW costs no more that $2.00 to ship. He sent me the link to eBay's excessive s/h charges page. I pointed out to him the example they gave for excessive s/h was charging $25 s/h to ship a CD -- and the part where it says it is OK to charge reasonable handling fees. I also pointed out things like the cost of the packaging, gas to the post office, and the fact that he did not have to spend time and money driving all over town to coin shops -- but is having it delivered to his door. He was a jerk -- admitting that I was not in violation of eBay rules, but that I was still a crook for charging too much.

I have recently raised my shipping rates by about $1 -- now $2.50 for a single coin, $4.00 for a proof set,etc. -- still reasonable compared to many others. Yet - the same items still sell for the same amount. Who's fault is that?
    -----
    KR
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $3.95 is quite fair....actually we tack on $6.00 to all shipments large or small guess we are really padding out wallets
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>By the time you get an envelope, get some stamps, drive to the post office, $4 is a good price. Screw him. >>

I charge $4 also, I use priority mail and don't make a dime from shipping. I will combine shipping on multiple items. $3.95 is not a scam, IMO. Go try to buy the stuff it takes to ship a coin. The bubble mailer, stamps, time, etc.
  • Options
    I think that is fine. I charge $3.50 which is very close. You are right to automatically include insurance. You will never win by arguing with this bidder, just block him so you don't have to hear him whine again.

If a seller wants to pad his shipping that is fine with me. I do what Russellhome does and just subtract shipping charges from what I am willing to pay and bid that amount.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't want to reveal the buyer's identity >>

Why not? Name 'em and shame 'em, I say. Their anonymity only allows their doofusness to perpetuate.

$3.95 is fair s/h -- you don't need to feel dishonest in your heart. Besides, as I've said before, shipping and handling are irrelevant when it comes to bidding on auctions. The buyer needs to determine their price, and then subtract any shipping/handling/insurance/taxes (the "s/h/i/t"). This becomes their bid. I don't really care how the seller, eBay, PayPal, and the USPS divvy up my money; I only care about what I paid.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I hope that I never become such a tool that would complain about something so mundane as a $3.95 shipping charge. BTW, when I sell a coin, I charge $4.00 and include insurance. I have terrible chronic back pain, and any extra pennies I get out of the deal are my compensation for standing in a post office line for 20 minutes on average..... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Between taking the pictures, editing them, generating the listing, uploading pictures, sending invoices, tracking payments, packing coin and shipping coins it takes me about 11 minutes PER auction.

I charge $2.50 for a raw coin, $3.95 for a proof set and $4.50 for a slab.

I could make more per hour working at McDonalds image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    If I only had to pay $3.95 in shipping for every coin I have ever purchased, I would do the dance of joy.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Because of you, the buyer won't be able to get that newspaper he's been saving up for!
  • Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    $1 or $2 over the actually postage isnt unreasonable especially when your using your shipping supples and having to make a trip to the post office. I usually try to reuse packaging supplies people send me as long as the stuff is in decent condition. No sense in throwing out perfectly usable packaging supplies. Then I just charge the buyer a maximum of about $1 over what I think the shipping will cost.
  • Options

<< <i>Tell him the error is actually on your part and that you forgot that Priority Mail is now $4.05 and to please send the additional 10¢ postage. >>

Also inquire if he would prefer registered mail with guaranteed insurance, delivery--at $17.85 according to US Post Office.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    When I sell on Ebay, I usually do it online with the USPS. So I xan then go to the post office and just dump the packages into the bin! Saves time waiting in line.
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    I was charged $16 shipping for a $150 coin.

Stated they do not charge for handling or packing.

Receive a slab in a regular bubble mailer (no other padding) that is insured.

Cost them about $7. What can you do?

It's really the buyer's fault for bidding on the auction.
  • Options
    3.95 is more than reasonable
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I charge $3.95 on my auctions as well (unless the items is bulky or heavy). If anybody byches about the shipping fees they are on my blocked list, simple as that. >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file