Home Metal Detecting
Options

Never touched a detector, now I want one. Which one do I want?

Hi everyone. Here recently I've been reading about all the finds posted here and I'm more than intrigued, I'm almost in love with the idea. I can probably afford about $200 for a detector and have been looking on ebay for one, but there seems to be a mind boggling number of different types and brands. Any ideas on what a good one would be? Also, where do you go, what kind of places do you frequent, and in your opinion , do people generally mind if you wander around digging holes in the ground? That last one might be a dumb question LOL. But anyway, I'd love to know! Thanks for any response.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot"

Comments

• Options
    The Garrett Ace 250 is a great starter for a decent price. Usually around $250.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    You can get the 250 for $199.00 if you look around.
  • Options
    Be sure to get a reconized brand and get one with target ID. Tesoro, Whites, & Minelab are some good brands.
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

As for where to hunt, you can hunt just about anywhere where people have or do frequent. Parks, playgrounds, soccer fields, torn up sidewalks, beaches, campgrounds etc... Just make sure you are not trespassing on private property (always get permission from the property owner), or hunting in an area where it is illegal to do so. A good place to start is right in your own yard and you may even want to seed some known items while you learn the sounds and target ID's of your detector

Good luck!
  • Options
    I live in southwest Virginia and I have heard that alot of the major civil war battlefields are indeed illegal to use a detector. The cool thing is that the area I live in is peppered with small battle sites. I guess I'd just have to locate the actual areas and see if they're on public prop. will a detector pick up lead? Ie: minnie balls?
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Buy a top of the line detector. If you don't, you won't find the good stuff and will lose interest.
    You will be spending some money, so do a lot of research before you buy. Check out all of the detector websites. Find out if there are detecting clubs in your area and go to one of thier meetings. Talk to the people actually using the gear on a regular basis. Then buy one and get ready to have a blast !!!
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    Unboggle your mind - There is quite an array to choose from, but if your price range is $200 or so, that narrows it down to one - The Ace 250.
    It is a very good machine. Light, accurate and sensitive. It lacks some features, of course, found in the higher end detectors such as ground balancing, noise cancelling ect. Also, the depth you can expect will be less that a $1,000 detector [roughly about 6 inches for a coin sized object], but it is arguably the best detector out there under $500 or so. It has a graphic display telling you depth and object, the ability to selectivly notch targets, and a very accurate and easy pinpoint.
    I would recommend you get one, then upgrade in the future if you grow more serious into the hobby.
    Starting with a high end detector might well be counter productive, as the added complexity and options are not necessarily the best things for a novice. Whatever you do, stay away from cheap radio shack/walmart products.
    As far as dealers, kellyco is good. Ebay is an option.
    And this guy here Link is a very reputable dealer whom I have dealt with.
    Good luck, and post your finds when you get going.

Oh yeah, as far as digging around, obviously you must use common sense.
    Private property is just that, and of course cannot be detected without the owners permission.
    Even then, you'd want to practice locating and digging targets on your own property first, so as not to trash someone elses property too badly [there is a right way and a wrong way to dig a target].
    State/Fed land is generally off limits, as are historic battle sites [where detecting might not only get you a fine and possible jail time, but your eqipment confiscated as well].
    That said, theres plenty of productive areas. Parks, beaches, playgrounds, old ball fields, school grounds, construction sites [sometimes] and really, any location where there has been people present or past has potential.
    I like searching old lots where old houses once stood, I've had some of my best finds on plain old non descript, grassy lots.
    JJ
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info guys. I did go with the ace 250. I read many moer good reviews than bad. It seems that dollar for dollar, it's the one for my price range! Thanks again.